2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

On 9/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, Joe said:

Yeah, I trust Calcaterra at that position more than I trust AO in the top-50 where he's currently slated. I suspect he'll blow up the combine and someone will reach on him...

Calcaterra is an oversized WR.  He's probably even less a TE than Jace Sternberger was.  Really thought we missed the boat with Mark Andrews.  Ravens got a steal with him.  Two spots ahead of Burks too.

1 hour ago, HeresAGuy said:

If we play ball at QB if someone falls, what are thoughts on Eason, Costello, or Ehlinger?  Its not entirely about succession plan, but we need a backup QB, and this might be a good class to bite on someone if they fall.

Out of those 3, Eason is the guy I would like to see us bring in. 

But really, @beekay414 knows who we should get to develop behind Rodgers. #badguys

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

If we play ball at QB if someone falls, what are thoughts on Eason, Costello, or Ehlinger?  Its not entirely about succession plan, but we need a backup QB, and this might be a good class to bite on someone if they fall.

No.  But of those 3, I'd go with Eason.  Costello isn't very good, and Ehlinger is the epitome of a college QB.

Is it still stupid to take a WR or RB in the back half of round one?

This team could use an offensive playmaker.  And we know our QB likes to break his receivers in kind of slowly.

Does RB make sense?  If not...how about OL in the first and RB in the second?

I can't help but feel this team is a skill position difference maker away from being a serious threat.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

This team could use an offensive playmaker.  And we know our QB likes to break his receivers in kind of slowly.

Does RB make sense?  If not...how about OL in the first and RB in the second?

I can't help but feel this team is a skill position difference maker away from being a serious threat.  

You're not going to find many RBs who put Aaron Jones on the bench.

This team needs a prime Greg Jennings. 

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You're not going to find many RBs who put Aaron Jones on the bench.

This team needs a prime Greg Jennings. 

I agree.  But I would like a RB that can compliment Jones and we can run more.

I'd LOVE  a WR.  But we know it will take Rodgers 2+ years to really trust one to where they can impact a game.  A RB can impact the game right away.

That's what I was getting at.  

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

RB no.  WR yes.  MVS has the talent and ability and Rodgers still isn't quite ready to get him the ball.  Any first round receiver is going to take a year, maybe two to get going with Rodgers.  Cobb, Nelson, Adams... All took time to gain Aaron's trust and become effective. 

The best solution to the WR question for next year is a free agent or trade.  It has to be a veteran good enough to overcome a lack of trust and familiarity with Rodgers. 

Larry Fitzgerald, Agholor, Sanders, Green, Hurns, D. Thomas... Lots of receivers scheduled to hit free agency next year. 

Then again, once our offense starts clicking, Rodgers and MVS could start clicking. 

MVS does already have 7 receptions on the year.  That's 56 receptions at that pace.  Against two great defenses.  So let's wait until we play something close to an average or bad defense. 

We've got the Broncos, Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Raiders and Chiefs.  I would call the Chiefs the first bad defense on our schedule. 

• Like 1

We should draft a first round receiver 32nd overall next year.  Let Rodgers break him in and get him ready to go for our next QB.  

This draft I want us to take OT in one, WR or ILB in 2, TE, WR or ILB in three.  

Two of our first three picks should be offensive, but it is imperative we do not ignore defense.  Once you have a defense, the only way to keep a defense is to feed it.  

This is exactly how we lost our defense from 2010.  We were content in 2009 with our pieces and took Bulaga.  Good pick.  Then in 2011 we really screwed up taking offense with our first three picks.  

Have to sustain a defense.  I want this defense to last for the next ten years and never get back to having the defense of 2011-2017.  

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We should draft a first round receiver 32nd overall next year.  Let Rodgers break him in and get him ready to go for our next QB.  

Two of our first three picks should be offensive, but it is imperative we do not ignore defense.  Once you have a defense, the only way to keep a defense is to feed it.  

This is exactly how we lost our defense from 2010.  We were content in 2009 with our pieces and took Bulaga.  Good pick.  Then in 2011 we really screwed up taking offense with our first three picks.  

Have to sustain a defense.  I want this defense to last for the next ten years and never get back to having the defense of 2011-2017.  

The reason our defense fell off the map in 2011 and beyond was because we lost an all pro safety (Collins) to a career ending injury and saw our hall of fame caliber playmaker (Woodson) start to decline.

We also invested pretty much all of our draft capital in the defense over the last decade, and haven’t had a ton to show for it until very recently.  

Ultimately, I agree we can’t ignore the defense now that we seemingly have a pretty good one.  We could use another pass rusher and ILB for sure.

1 minute ago, Cpdaly23 said:

The reason our defense fell off the map in 2011 and beyond was because we lost an all pro safety (Collins) to a career ending injury and saw our hall of fame caliber playmaker (Woodson) start to decline.

We also invested pretty much all of our draft capital in the defense over the last decade, and haven’t had a ton to show for it until very recently.  

Ultimately, I agree we can’t ignore the defense now that we seemingly have a pretty good one.  We could use another pass rusher and ILB for sure.

Lol, Woodson did not start to decline in 2011, OMG.  He had 7 interceptions and 2 sacks and a TD in 2011.  Then had 4.5 sacks, 11 interceptions and 5 forced fumbles the rest of his career.

Nick’s injury is exactly why you don’t stop putting pieces into defense.  

Rodgers is paid to overcome a lack of high investment into skill positions.  Protect him with OT and let him make what he has at the skills work.  Always keep that defense because as we’ve seen, not Manning, not Brees, not Brady and certainly not Rodgers can win a Super Bowl without defense.

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I agree.  But I would like a RB that can compliment Jones and we can run more.

I'd LOVE  a WR.  But we know it will take Rodgers 2+ years to really trust one to where they can impact a game.  A RB can impact the game right away.

That's what I was getting at.  

I think if the WR is talented enough and NFL ready, Rodgers isn't going to need 2 years.  Don't think a guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster would have needed 2 years with AR12 if he'd have been the selection in 2017 instead of Josh Jones.  This isn't 2014 when he had Adams and 2 WRs playing at an all pro level.  Outside of Adams, we aren't looking like a team that is all that talented at WR given the amount of calories we threw at arguing about the position this summer.  Given the scheme and the massive amount of use of 2 TE sets I'm not sure if a high end TE shouldn't take president over a WR.  

Edited by SSG

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Have to sustain a defense.  I want this defense to last for the next ten years and never get back to having the defense of 2011-2017

Generally I agree with the positional value, but I wouldn't shy away from a RB late round 1. Right now, most of the best RBs in the league are on their rookie deal. I'm cool with spending a later 1st only if the team is established. I want an OT too, so we'll see who will be there. Should be able to get a really good RB in the 2nd this year if we can

• Like 1