2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Strong draft for OT and WR, have to imagine that played a small role in us not reaching for anyone at those spots this year.

I'd be tempted to take CeeDee Lamb, but I hate the idea of taking a WR that early.

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I can already predict people are gonna be mad when the Packers do not draft an offensive skill player or an ILB in the first round. 

You say this as if there is a proven record with this team having success with their recent early round selections. Hopefully the 2019 class willl experience the same level of success as the 2018 class, but lets not forget the wasted 1st round picks/reaches that are no longer with the team, completely ignoring the chance to invest in even ONE offensive skill position in the 1st since drafting Rodgers.

When there has been  a lack of elite playmakers being added in the early rounds of the draft or in FA, and then you look back at how those picks were used and there are so many names that have been 'busts' by NFL standards, I dont think we can second guess people wanting to see a little better return on their investment than what we have seen in the past 10 years.

There is entirely way too much poopooing the opinions of those who don't subscribe blindly to strategies that some may want to discuss the lack of, to use your example, investing a first round draft pick on an offensive skill player. 

Sometimes there is a desire just to discuss why an offensive skill position isn't the best choice at the end of the first this year. Although, a quick jab response completely void of reasoning why you use the pick on something else is a close second.

Every offseason you will have examples of teams investing heavy on one side or the other. Discussing it and how it applies in your teams scenario will not lose you style points.

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

We invested 5 picks last year at the skill positions to help Rodgers and another this year. That's 6 skill guys in two years for those mathematically challenged

Another guy who's smarter than the rest of the room... The post I responded to specifically dealt with drafting first round offensive skill players. Instead of taking offense to my post, maybe read it again and see that I was specifically looking at how first round picks have been used and making the comment that there hasnt been any first round picks used on offensive skill positions and when you actually look at how the Packers have fared using the strategy the poster is actually asking for, theres a lot to be desired. 

I'm not calling for irrational changes in the front office or even being overly critical. As for being mathematically challenged, I'm ok with that given that I'm fairly certain this is my ex-girlfriend trolling me because she literally would find that comment to be funny... which its not... so you can see the problem.

I mean, the track record for drafting offensive skill position in the first round for every team is not exactly great.  Really only three things matter for the pursuit of a championship:

1. QB
  2. Coaching
  3. Defense

Now keeping that QB upright is important, which is why you spend high picks on pass protectors.  But I'm out on drafting wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs in the first round full stop.  Even when you hit on a Zeke, Gurley, A.J. Green, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, etc. those guys combined have fewer rings than Frank Zombo.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the track record for drafting offensive skill position in the first round for every team is not exactly great.  Really only three things matter for the pursuit of a championship:

1. QB
  2. Coaching
  3. Defense

Now keeping that QB upright is important, which is why you spend high picks on pass protectors.  But I'm out on drafting wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs in the first round full stop.  Even when you hit on a Zeke, Gurley, A.J. Green, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, etc. those guys combined have fewer rings than Frank Zombo.

I KNEW we should have kept Zombo.

• Like 1

Gotta think OT will be our biggest need going into 2020.  ILB I'd have 2nd followed by QB.  At some point in the near future we will have to take our next great QB to develop behind Rodgers.  Ideally he'll sit for a few years.  We still have nothing at back up QB which worries me a great deal.  Hopefully with the new scheme we won't see Rodgers hanging on to the ball for 7 seconds anymore and he can finish the season healthy.

2 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I've enjoyed this years draft after investing a little bit of time (not much) watching some prospects so I'd like to delve into it a bit further this year. What could be a good college team or division to follow during 2019?

watch the SEC as a conference in general.  They typically have the most players drafted into the NFL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be tempted to take CeeDee Lamb, but I hate the idea of taking a WR that early.

I can get behind taking a WR R1 if they're a legit elite WR prospect (Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green), but where I just don't think it's a great value (until late R1) is with the kind of imperfect guys. If you're taking that guy in the top 20, he better have basically no flaws.