2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is how I'd be ok going with a WR before the 3rd. We need a solid 3-tech who can produce now while Keke is still developing. This DL class isn't as deep as the OT class, which means we could pass on an OL until rounds 3 or 4 if need be. I wouldn't mind going DL, WR, OT in the first three rounds.

I'd rather go Wirfs over Leatherwood, but would trade down into the 2nd and pick up maybe a 4th if I knew I could get Leatherwood. Smith would be the guy I'd pull the trigger on in the 2nd if he's there. I'm lukewarm on Blacklock after seeing Baylor run through him. Awful lotta tackles where he rode the RB. I'd rather go Rashard Lawrence there. I'd bump Uche up a spot and then pick the best Safety left at that point. 

Pump the brakes on Wirfs.  He's a RT only and I don't think you spend a 1st on a RT-Only.  Austin Jackson from USC is my first rounder IF we go LT.

1 minute ago, Redt said:

All in on Isiah Simmons, over the middle problem solved, will have to trade some picks to get there, but worth it. After Simmons, all offense

I'm not big on these speedy hybrid backers because you have to keep them clean at the pro level. Why spend a first round pick on a guy that is that reliant on other players? 

Simmons is a stud, but there's multiple Curtis Bolton's in free agency after the draft every year. College production, undersized, 4.5 with a 38 very, is the gap from a Bolton to a Simmons really worth all that draft value between the two?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't know about that -- I think throws like this make that contract good. Could just be me though.

I mean he was going for Graham but yeah, he makes plenty of good throws underneath. Lots of QBs do.

If we paid Rodgers for:

Pros- Smart, incredibly efficient.

Cons- Enjoys being off schedule (while not being able to hit the deep throws), bad clock management and is regularly late to the check down.

I see that as not worth the brinks truck we backed up. If he isnt able to hit Davante in stride or throw in front of MVS when he has a step, both examples from last week, we made a mistake. 

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I mean he was going for Graham but yeah, he makes plenty of good throws underneath. Lots of QBs do.

If we paid Rodgers for:

Pros- Smart, incredibly efficient.

Cons- Enjoys being off schedule (while not being able to hit the deep throws), bad clock management and is regularly late to the check down.

I see that as not worth the brinks truck we backed up. If he isnt able to hit Davante in stride or throw in front of MVS when he has a step, both examples from last week, we made a mistake. 

He was going for Graham? That's news to me. I've heard Graham THOUGHT he was going to him, but then saw JWill in the back and thought it was an incredible play. Also heard JWill say he and Arod locked eyes before he even threw that ball and he knew he had to make a play then because it was coming to him. So, I'm going to need to see something that states it was an overthrown ball to Jimmy that JWill just happened to make a play on before I even entertain that.

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

He was going for Graham? That's news to me. I've heard Graham THOUGHT he was going to him, but then saw JWill in the back and thought it was an incredible play. Also heard JWill say he and Arod locked eyes before he even threw that ball and he knew he had to make a play then because it was coming to him. So, I'm going to need to see something that states it was an overthrown ball to Jimmy that JWill just happened to make a play on before I even entertain that.

In the presser after the game Rodgers said "I was putting it up there where maybe Graham could get it, and I saw someone streaking in the back of the endzone" while having a sly smile on the face. He also denied locking eyes with William's ha. I mean great story to a lucky play though. 

https://clutchpoints-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/clutchpoints.com/packers-news-aaron-rodgers-explains-his-crazy-touchdown-pass-to-jamaal-williams

"Calculated risk" in other words, lucky.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

In the presser after the game Rodgers said "I was putting it up there where maybe Graham could get it, and I saw someone streaking in the back of the endzone" while having a sly smile on the face. He also denied locking eyes with William's ha. I mean great story to a lucky play though. 

https://clutchpoints-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/clutchpoints.com/packers-news-aaron-rodgers-explains-his-crazy-touchdown-pass-to-jamaal-williams

"Calculated risk" in other words, lucky.

Lol Williams spinning the narrative! Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Pump the brakes on Wirfs.  He's a RT only and I don't think you spend a 1st on a RT-Only.  Austin Jackson from USC is my first rounder IF we go LT.

I get it, but I also don't see how he's RT only and if he really is RT only, how is that really an issue when we have an All-Pro LT entering his prime. Personally, I hope we go DL in the first with Raekwon Davis or Javon Kinlaw. We desperately need an upgrade over Adams and Lowry that can step in immediately while Keke develops and Lowry can focus specifically on passing downs, which is really his forte.

1 hour ago, Redt said:

All in on Isiah Simmons, over the middle problem solved, will have to trade some picks to get there, but worth it. After Simmons, all offense

Have you seen our DL play this year? Especially in regards to rush defense?

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not big on these speedy hybrid backers because you have to keep them clean at the pro level. Why spend a first round pick on a guy that is that reliant on other players? 

Simmons is a stud, but there's multiple Curtis Bolton's in free agency after the draft every year. College production, undersized, 4.5 with a 38 very, is the gap from a Bolton to a Simmons really worth all that draft value between the two?

There's probably an argument there, but IIRC Bolton had a stellar preseason until he got hurt and, more importantly, he can fill the need of coverage ILB if he can continue his ascent post-injury. Hoping we can grab a Jacob Phillips type who can fill the S/LB hybrid, but is solid in the run game. Maybe grab a thumper like Spears out of ISU on Day 3 if he's there.

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Joe Burrow is the #1 pick in the draft! With or without a healthy Tua! 

Saban really screwed the pooch on that one!  Up 35-7 on a dead in the water team and you've got your already hobbled / hobbling QB out there for no good reason? Not good Nick. Not good.

Just now, Leader said:

Saban really screwed the pooch on that one!  Up 35-7 on a dead in the water team and you've got your already hobbled / hobbling QB out there for no good reason? Not good Nick. Not good.

Can't blame him! That is poor form and hindsight. It wasn't his past injury that got him hurt, it was an awkward fall when he was tackled, a freak accident! Also, he was in there working on a 2 minute drill. 

Not a Saban fan, but it's a cop out to throw the blame his way. Tough break for the kid for sure! 

13 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Can't blame him! That is poor form and hindsight. It wasn't his past injury that got him hurt, it was an awkward fall when he was tackled, a freak accident! Also, he was in there working on a 2 minute drill. Not a Saban fan, but it's a cop out to throw the blame his way. Tough break for the kid for sure! 

Nobody can predict an injury - certainly not a dislocated hip and fractured pelvis. Those are tough to figure....
But - Tua should have been done. The game was over. The guy had been out injured and hobbling around for weeks already.

Get him on the sideline. Protect the player and your teams remaining season.

He did neither IMO and it was a bad decision.