2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Wasn't Bo Jackson's injury treated improperly, which is why it ended his career?  I recall hearing something about how he was walking around with internal bleeding in his hip for weeks, which I understand is not recommended.

Yessir, that's exactly what ruined his career. In fact, if I recall correctly a bone "died" because of a ruptured blood vessel that went undiagnosed and that was the real reason his career ended. Not the actual injury itself. 

3 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

As you should. Tua knows his own body better then any of us on these boards do. Saban also has the medical reports. A freak accident doesnt make it the wrong call on Sabans behalf. It makes it a freak accident. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who blames Tua or Saban is just plain ignorant. 

Yep.  I am always a fan of whatever team is playing against Saban and Alabama, but trying to put the Tua injury on Saban is absurd.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We’re gonna have to have a serious conversation about whether or not we draft Tua with our first round pick now.  I say yes.

I say no actually. Tua wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before he got hobbled, then severely injured. Joe Burrow has legitimately passed him and he's earned it. I don't think Joe will be a world-beater franchise type of guy at the next level, but he'll be a good game manager type of QB a la Alex Smith. I think he'd be a great fit for Tennessee in particular.

4 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Yessir, that's exactly what ruined his career. In fact, if I recall correctly a bone "died" because of a ruptured blood vessel that went undiagnosed and that was the real reason his career ended. Not the actual injury itself. 

When the hip is dislocated, there is a high likelihood of vascular disruption to the femoral head.  

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/avascular_necrosis_after_hip_dislocation

Time to reduction can lessen the % chance of AN "avascular necrosis ".

Not a great outlook here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26849386/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We’re gonna have to have a serious conversation about whether or not we draft Tua with our first round pick now.  I say yes.

If the medical prognosis checks out, I absolutely do. He'll need a redshirt year for sure, but these are the kind of opportunities that let you hop from franchise QB immediately into another. I'm not sure what happened that let us get Aaron, thanks Jeff Tedford I guess?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

When the hip is dislocated, there is a high likelihood of vascular disruption to the femoral head.  

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/avascular_necrosis_after_hip_dislocation

Time to reduction can lessen the % chance of AN "avascular necrosis ".

Not a great outlook here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26849386/

Get that science out of here this is a football site.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

There are going to be 31 picks before we MAY have to decide this. If the previous 31 pass it is likely because they do not like the prospects of him ever playing or regaining all of his mobility. They will have the same medical evaluations we do. 

The NFL GMs have wised up to letting superior talent slide too far because of injury: Jeffrey Simmons case and point. They learned after allowing Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith get into round 2 and they both play the 'dreaded' ILB spot. 

Edited by Golfman

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I say no actually. Tua wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before he got hobbled, then severely injured. Joe Burrow has legitimately passed him and he's earned it. I don't think Joe will be a world-beater franchise type of guy at the next level, but he'll be a good game manager type of QB a la Alex Smith. I think he'd be a great fit for Tennessee in particular.

I don't know Joe! Joe Burrow has all the makings and look of a franchise QB. His accuracy is ridiculous. He's got more athleticism than people give him credit for. His eyes stay downfield when the rush is on they do not drop and look at the rush. He'd accurate on the move too. His arm strength is there too. By all accounts he has a fairly high football IQ as well. 

What is not to like about this kid? What am I missing? 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If the medical prognosis checks out, I absolutely do. He'll need a redshirt year for sure, but these are the kind of opportunities that let you hop from franchise QB immediately into another. I'm not sure what happened that let us get Aaron, thanks Jeff Tedford I guess?

Aaron fell because of the combination of Tedford, Aaron's smug* attitude, and real team need.  I have read that some teams would have picked Alex Smith if the 49ers had taken Rodgers with the first pick.  I also remember reading that someone with the Packers really, really liked Jason Campbell in that draft, so we may have gone QB anyway.  

*I am not sure "smug" is the best word for Rodgers' demeanor.  He isn't full on pretentious, and he isn't bombastic.  I think of cocky as being someone that is more talk than walk.  Is smug the proper word?

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Aaron fell because of the combination of Tedford, Aaron's smug* attitude, and real team need.  I have read that some teams would have picked Alex Smith if the 49ers had taken Rodgers with the first pick.  I also remember reading that someone with the Packers really, really liked Jason Campbell in that draft, so we may have gone QB anyway.  

*I am not sure "smug" is the best word for Rodgers' demeanor.  He isn't full on pretentious, and he isn't bombastic.  I think of cocky as being someone that is more talk than walk.  Is smug the proper word?

Does it matter what the word is? The man has backed up whatever that word is/was. You have to wonder if Aaron goes first what it turns out for him. San Francisco was a bad team and an organization in serious decline. Smith had a decent career given where he started. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Does it matter what the word is? The man has backed up whatever that word is/was. You have to wonder if Aaron goes first what it turns out for him. San Francisco was a bad team and an organization in serious decline. Smith had a decent career given where he started. 

True, he backed it up eventually, but it did affect his draft status.  Mike Nolan has said he didn't draft him because of his attitude.

While maybe he was right to be confidant in his ability, it probably isn't the best move for most job interviews.

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

True, he backed it up eventually, but it did affect his draft status.  Mike Nolan has said he didn't draft him because of his attitude.

While maybe he was right to be confidant in his ability, it probably isn't the best move for most job interviews.

Worked for us so good for Aaron! 

Edited by Golfman

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

A long time between now and then, but first things first, Tua isn't 6'-1". Just how short to be determined.

I bet he is, he's been officially measured before. But he does look like really small, I guess because of kind of how he's built. 

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

The word matters in the sense that I want to know what the exact word should be to describe Aaron's attitude.  I don't think smug is quite right.  But cocky is something I would say fits Baker Mayfield more than Rodgers.  The closest person that I can compare Rodgers to is Howard Stern.  He is very matter of the factly better than you, and he is sure of his greatness, but if anyone questions it, there is a big problem. 

Aaron was pretty bad until his third preseason for the Packers. He may have been a flop had he gone to that 49ers team.  Or maybe McCarthy stays there and works with Aaron sooner.  The 9ers were in a bad situation until Harbaugh started cleaning it up.