2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

why not both? We need to inject some serious talent. I'm happier with Adams, Agholor, MVS, ESB, late 2nd round pick. If not this year will have to be the next. I don't think 1 guy fixes that room. As of today I don't think we even have a future WR2 on the roster, so who will replace Adams in 3 years? If we cut Graham and sign AJ Green, then that will stopgap it for a while, but that's probably not the best use of our cap space. 

Philly fans are ready to run Agholor out of town on a rail because of his drops this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Philly fans are ready to run Agholor out of town on a rail because of his drops this year.

It's not about getting a superstar, it's about injecting value and veteran experience.  Agholor is not a great receiver, but he is capable and he would be on the cheaper end of free agent acquisitions. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not about getting a superstar, it's about injecting value and veteran experience.  Agholor is not a great receiver, but he is capable and he would be on the cheaper end of free agent acquisitions. 

I agree - and from the little that I picked up last year, he seemed just that capable. Cant say how many big plays he made, but I can remember some highlights - plus - he's a slot guy if I remember correctly.

However - for whatever reason - he's turned the entire (and I mean entire....) Philly fan base against him.

Why? No clue outside of he's dropping alot of pass for some reason.

The easiest issue the team can address is the front 6. No matter how we line up, we've got 2 of 6 players that just aren't good enough. Pick two of Lowry/Lancaster/Adams/Goodson. It's just ugly. I give Pettine crap for being afraid of the base defense, but it you were asking me to put 3 of those guys on the field at a time, I'd probably be grossed out too.

The Bulaga question is gonna be fascinating. If his agent offers 5/75 what's you game plan. Can you stomach 3/40?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The easiest issue the team can address is the front 6. No matter how we line up, we've got 2 of 6 players that just aren't good enough. Pick two of Lowry/Lancaster/Adams/Goodson. It's just ugly. I give Pettine crap for being afraid of the base defense, but it you were asking me to put 3 of those guys on the field at a time, I'd probably be grossed out too.

The Bulaga question is gonna be fascinating. If his agent offers 5/75 what's you game plan. Can you stomach 3/40?

Depends how it's structured. I'd prefer 3/40 if it's structured to be an easy out after 1

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

why not both? We need to inject some serious talent.

I'm happier with Adams, Agholor, MVS, ESB, late 2nd round pick. 

If not this year will have to be the next. I don't think 1 guy fixes that room. As of today I don't think we even have a future WR2 on the roster, so who will replace Adams in 3 years?

If we cut Graham and sign AJ Green, then that will stopgap it for a while, but that's probably not the best use of our cap space. 

Jimmy Graham was a player we signed for big money when he was regressing and picking up injuries. Cut him and sign AJ Green ?   Hmm. 

I think we need to do both though. We must draft a receiver early (second round sounds ideal if the right player is there) but signing a sensibly priced second contract guy as well would be good and finally showing some respect to the fact you can't just throw anyone out there and rely on Rodgers making the passing game strong.

Its after the horse has bolted though - you need time for a QB and young receiver to gel. You draft your receiver when you don't need him to be a Number 2 off the shelf. 

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

Jimmy Graham was a player we signed for big money when he was regressing and picking up injuries. Cut him and sign AJ Green ?   Hmm. 

I think we need to do both though. We must draft a receiver early (second round sounds ideal if the right player is there) but signing a sensibly priced second contract guy as well would be good and finally showing some respect to the fact you can't just throw anyone out there and rely on Rodgers making the passing game strong.

Its after the horse has bolted though - you need time for a QB and young receiver to gel. You draft your receiver when you don't need him to be a Number 2 off the shelf. 

Wilson and Metcalf seem to be doing alright.

Jackson and Hollywood seem to get it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If his agent offered 5/75 I would just laugh.

You don't sign Bulaga to any deal that you can't get out of extremely easily after one year. His knees are a mess and are going to get worse not better so I'd be reluctant to sign him full stop as there is a good chance your backup RT will be playing in the playoffs. A one year (or equivalent)  deal would be happy to take the risk.

3 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If his agent offered 5/75 I would just laugh.

You don't sign Bulaga to any deal that you can't get out of extremely easily after one year. His knees are a mess and are going to get worse not better so I'd be reluctant to sign him full stop as there is a good chance your backup RT will be playing in the playoffs. A one year (or equivalent)  deal would be happy to take the risk.

You're not gonna get that at all. He's been an elite Tackle for 8.5 games this year. He's missed 1.5 and had a bad game against the Chargers. He's only 30 years old.

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Completely agree that Lowry/Lancaster/Adams/Goodson are a hot mess and it really handicaps what Pettine or any other defensive coordinator can do (I also think you could add a 5th liability in Burks and an 6th liability in the person of the other starting ILBer but I've already said enough said about him).

The point being the middle of of the D just sucks. Again. And despite Kenny Clark.

Nobody should have expected much from street free agents like Lancaster or Goodson (traded for right as the Giants were about to cut him) and they will hopefully be cast aside for better players in 2020. 

But Lowry, Adams, and Burks are different.

Gute just re-signed Lowry to a fairly substantial deal for some inexplicable reason. Did not like signing this JAG when it happened and dislike it now even more. Unfortunately, I'd guess he sticks for financial reasons in 2020.

As for Adams, how many years does this 2017 3rd round pick get a chance to "shine?" He has a grand total of 1.5 sacks in his nearly 3 seasons in GB and none this season. He is easily washed at the point of attack. His PFF grade of 43.8 would be comical ... if he played for the Vikings.

Then there is Burks. The 2018 3rd round pick could not get on the field in 2018 even after the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention with a month to go in the season. And now he can't get on the field in 2019 despite the dire need for better ILB play. Too early to label him a bust?

Time for Kingsley to get some more snaps? Is Looney so worthless that he can't take snaps from Adams or Lancaster?

As others have noted, Gute has got his work cut out for him at DLine and ILB this offseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're not gonna get that at all. He's been an elite Tackle for 8.5 games this year. He's missed 1.5 and had a bad game against the Chargers. He's only 30 years old.

I know. That's why we should be walking away.

Multiple ACL tears, sprained MCL,  strained MCL -  looks like we've got away with it this time but your playing with fire if you starting throwing big multi-year contracts at big men that are getting old in NFL terms and have a very long list of knee injuries.

Someone will probably give him a very big contract for the reasons you've said. Let them. 

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Multiple ACL tears, sprained MCL,  strained MCL -  looks like we've got away with it this time but your playing with fire if you starting throwing big multi-year contracts at big men that are getting old in NFL terms and have a very long list of knee injuries.

Someone will probably give him a very big contract for the reasons you've said. Let them. 

Which is fine, but then you better have an answer at RT, because there isn't one on the roster at the moment. And if you think Rodgers has issues with his protection now, you don't want to see it with a turnstile at RT.

Just now, mikemike778 said:

You don't re-sign Bulaga and here is what you're looking at. 

Here are the current starters for each team.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/OT

Here are the free agents:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/right-tackle/

There are two legitimate options a year or more younger than Bulaga.  Conklin has a 5th year option for the Titans. 

Germain Ifedi is the other option.  PFF rating of 54.  Bulaga's is 71. 

Here are the left tackles:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/left-tackle/

There are two legitimate options over a year younger than Bulaga. 

One is Greg Robinson, who has been benched by the Browns.  The other is DJ Humphries.  10 full points lower than Bulaga on PFF. 

Bulaga has missed two games over the past two years. 

So you don't re-sign Bulaga; now, you're effecting your compensatory consideration by HAVING to sign a free agent starter to replace him.  That free agent starter is the same exact age or one year different from Bulaga.  That, or you're limiting yourself to one option in the first round: Right Tackle. 

Edited by Outpost31