2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

Davis is my favorite pick at this point, too.  Means he will either go top 10 or won’t go until the 5th round where everybody will be like, “Hey, that guy I wanted in the first in November last year.  Steal.”

I really just want a game wrecked at IDL.  ILB/WR in free agency.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

1) That is what it is likely to take, to keep BB. Less and he goes elsewhere because the league is always in desperate need of quality OTs.

2) Day three might get you a 4th or 5th WR but that isn't what the Packers need, they already have more than enough there. what they need is a no.2 quality guy and that needs at least a second round pick.

3) The third RB was not one of my top three picks (which if you recall were DL, WR, ILB). Since it is such a good year for RBs why not go there again. The Packers managed to get Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones late in the 4th and 5th rounds in 2017.........pretty excellent value there.

Except it's not. Look at the prospect rankings if you don't believe me.

As for the WR situation, you have to ask yourself who would immediately emerge from Day 1 seeings how we don't have that history. Our guys tend to take 2-3 years to emerge be they WR1's or WR2's. The only two WR's I can think of in my lifetime that popped the very first year were Javon Walker and maybe Antonio Freeman. Plus, you have to factor in teams like Philly, New England, Buffalo, and Miami who are really hard up for WR's followed up by other teams who will aggressively look to upgrade their receiving core or add weapons to help their young QB's like Pittsburgh, Arizona, Washington, and Jacksonville. Buncha dudes going to get overdrafted in this one, which you would hope would benefit our efforts to fix both lines, ILB, and maybe another back-up Safety.

Edited by Joe

I would prefer a veteran WR who would be an upgrade out of the box (ie a veteran), but the need for a higher-end  WR is real, it needs addressing one way or another, even if an early pick doesn't offer much in their rookie year. I'll just agree to differ on the quality of the RB class this year. I'll admit It IS true that RBs often declare as Juniors, so it is hard to predict who will declare and who will wait another year in college.

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

True. Maybe they could do something similar to how Graham's was structured to get out after 2 years if necessary. I'd hate to lose the guy for the near future though. He's our best OL right now regardless of the fact that he'll miss a couple games every year.

That wasn’t really something done specially for Graham. The vast majority of GB contracts (and probably NFL contracts) have declining dead money such that cuts are feasible in the last 1-2 yrs of the deal, depending on the deal’s total length. Even in 4-yr contracts, starting at least in yr 3, your dead money has decreased enough that the cut savings might be large enough to replace the cut guy’s production with something better if he is severely underperforming.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would prefer a veteran WR who would be an upgrade out of the box (ie a veteran), but the need for a higher-end  WR is real, it needs addressing one way or another, even if an early pick doesn't offer much in their rookie year. I'll just agree to differ on the quality of the RB class this year. I'll admit It IS true that RBs often declare as Juniors, so it is hard to predict who will declare and who will wait another year in college.

Amari Cooper might be available FWIW. That's the only guy in FA that's really worth it unless you want a guy over 30 as a stop-gap that MAY have something left in the tank. Cooper's suffering under bad coaching in Dallas and an owner that's turning into his mentor...

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Amari Cooper might be available FWIW. That's the only guy in FA that's really worth it unless you want a guy over 30 as a stop-gap that MAY have something left in the tank. Cooper's suffering under bad coaching in Dallas and an owner that's turning into his mentor...

I'd love it but that price tag is probably bonkers

Just now, Outpost31 said:

That will be available where we’re picking or attainable on a trade up?

i haven't watched **** this year. but i watched him a lot last year before he announced he was returning. 

i'm gonna start watching stuff now that the cf season's almost done. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

As for the WR situation, you have to ask yourself who would immediately emerge from Day 1 seeings how we don't have that history. Our guys tend to take 2-3 years to emerge be they WR1's or WR2's. The only two WR's I can think of in my lifetime that popped the very first year were Javon Walker and maybe Antonio Freeman. Plus, you have to factor in teams like Philly, New England, Buffalo, and Miami who are really hard up for WR's followed up by other teams who will aggressively look to upgrade their receiving core or add weapons to help their young QB's like Pittsburgh, Arizona, Washington, and Jacksonville. Buncha dudes going to get overdrafted in this one, which you would hope would benefit our efforts to fix both lines, ILB, and maybe another back-up Safety.

I think the lack of emergence had a lot to do with improving circumstances for the drafted players.

Jennings went 45 for 632 in 2006 opposite Driver and with Green still on the team in MM's first year of coaching.

James Jones went 47 for 676 in 2007 behind Driver and Jennings

Jordy didn't do much, but he was the #4.

Cobb was the #4/5.

Adams was the #3.

I don't think a WR in 1 or 2 would be a reach this draft as the good thing about the teams you name, including the NEP, is they also need help all over. The Eagles have holes all over that defense, the Patriots need OL help and a successor to Brady and a WR, the Bills need help on the DL and WR, the Dolphins are a dumpster fire with holes everywhere, and the young QB based teams need to replace the QB (Steelers) or need to bolster leaky defenses (Cardinals/Jaguars) or need to have their owner ejected into the sun (Redskins). The Packers will have their pick of a lot of nice weapons.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

You could also snag a DeVante Parker type if Miami doesn't pick up his option. After that it's a long fall past the 30+ WRs to the Robby Anderson and Phillip Dorsett's of the NFL.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's on pace to play in 16 games this year and played 14 last year. He'll have started 12 or more games in 4 of the last 5 years. 

There's no guarantee that the new guy is going to play 16 games either. Offensive lineman miss games. Bulaga isn't the only one who does.

A slightly diminished Bulaga is still a damn fine player. 

Is there a huge number of rookie offensive Tackles that are better than average? I'm really not seeing many?

This wasn't some trap. This was an entirely hypothetical question that you need to answer when figuring out what the hell you do with Bulaga.

If Brian Bulaga plays in all 5 games left in the season he will still have played in less than 75% of the possible games in his career.

As players get older their bodies break down. Do you dispute this point? 

Brian Bulaga has had 2 major injuries and several others that kept him out of games here and there? Do you dispute that claim? 

He's left 3-4 games this year with injuries at some point during the game. Do you dispute that? 

The past often does imitate the future! It is absolutely foolish to pay this guy 10+ a year. Do you want some evidence of an organization that doesn't to that, even with stars? Check out the players the Patriots have jettisoned off because they didn't want to pay premium money for players in decline. Richard Seymour was the first but there have been plenty others since. 

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Is it really our WRs or is it our QB? Favre used to make below average guys look really good. Rodgers refuses to give guys a chance. I ain't investing in a WR until our QB checks his ego and start tossing the ball to the guys he has so we can actually see if they are any good or not.