2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

56 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If Brian Bulaga plays in all 5 games left in the season he will still have played in less than 75% of the possible games in his career.

As players get older their bodies break down. Do you dispute this point? 

Brian Bulaga has had 2 major injuries and several others that kept him out of games here and there? Do you dispute that claim? 

He's left 3-4 games this year with injuries at some point during the game. Do you dispute that? 

The past often does imitate the future! It is absolutely foolish to pay this guy 10+ a year. Do you want some evidence of an organization that doesn't to that, even with stars? Check out the players the Patriots have jettisoned off because they didn't want to pay premium money for players in decline. Richard Seymour was the first but there have been plenty others since. 

Cool.

What are you doing at RT?

Are you gonna pay 10+ for a downgrade?

Are you spending a first rounder on a downgrade?

Not saying those aren't viable options, but you need to know that what you're getting when you make that decision to let an elite player at a premium position walk.

I’ve really got a hankering to play Madden right now.  THIS is the exciting part for a team leading up to a Super Bowl win.  This is a lot like our 2009 season.  Got some youth with promise at WR, some promising players in the draft... The moves we make in the next couple years will determine whether or not we’re contenders for Aaron’s final years.  

So many moves to consider.  Resign our fate to Martinez and his limitations with a coordinator that’s not a fit for his skill set? Or re-sign Martinez and get a new coordinator that will use him better?  Or get rid of both of them?  

Keep Bulaga with a possible overspend and hope it turns out well for us?  Maybe he signs a home team discount (this has happened a lot for us).  Perry, Cobb, Adams and more signed team friendly deals.  They did.  Even Perry.  Perry would have made a LOT more if he hit the market.  Do we let him go and ensure a solid replacement with a first round pick, or hope we get lucky like we did with Elgton and wait until 2?  

Do we go BPA in one?  What if that’s a corner?  Do we trade someone on our team?  Do we hope Jackson has a third year bump?  Do we trade King?  Do we sign a veteran DB to replace Tramon, who I will always and forever love?  

Do we cut Jimmy or do we restructure Jimmy?  Man is a hell of a teammate, but not worth his money.  I hope he stays.  Even if it means we have to honor his contract.  All the **** he’s put up with from Packer fans and I hope he gets a ring with us.  

Do we hope Sternberger has a second year leap or do we make a move for a TE early?

Gute is going to make some good choices, but he’s also going to make mistakes.  So many moves, so many needs, so many ways to improve.  This is why I like Madden.  I get to prove everyone wrong by finding Hall if Fame receivers in the 6th round and draft only premium positions in 1.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’ve really got a hankering to play Madden right now.  THIS is the exciting part for a team leading up to a Super Bowl win.  This is a lot like our 2009 season.  Got some youth with promise at WR, some promising players in the draft... The moves we make in the next couple years will determine whether or not we’re contenders for Aaron’s final years.  

So many moves to consider.  Resign our fate to Martinez and his limitations with a coordinator that’s not a fit for his skill set? Or re-sign Martinez and get a new coordinator that will use him better?  Or get rid of both of them?  

Keep Bulaga with a possible overspend and hope it turns out well for us?  Maybe he signs a home team discount (this has happened a lot for us).  Perry, Cobb, Adams and more signed team friendly deals.  They did.  Even Perry.  Perry would have made a LOT more if he hit the market.  Do we let him go and ensure a solid replacement with a first round pick, or hope we get lucky like we did with Elgton and wait until 2?  

Do we go BPA in one?  What if that’s a corner?  Do we trade someone on our team?  Do we hope Jackson has a third year bump?  Do we trade King?  Do we sign a veteran DB to replace Tramon, who I will always and forever love?  

Do we cut Jimmy or do we restructure Jimmy?  Man is a hell of a teammate, but not worth his money.  I hope he stays.  Even if it means we have to honor his contract.  All the **** he’s put up with from Packer fans and I hope he gets a ring with us.  

Do we hope Sternberger has a second year leap or do we make a move for a TE early?

Gute is going to make some good choices, but he’s also going to make mistakes.  So many moves, so many needs, so many ways to improve.  This is why I like Madden.  I get to prove everyone wrong by finding Hall if Fame receivers in the 6th round and draft only premium positions in 1.

Give Pettine one more year, more likely our team won't fire him after year 2.

Depends if Martinez takes a team friendly discount.

Sign Bulaga if he takes a home town discount, willing to bet he does. 

DL/ILB/T/TE/WR Round one. I'm projecting a 20s first round pick so we can take chances on lesser premium positions like ILB/WR if the talent is there.

Cut ties with Jimmy, maybe sign a mid tier TE in FA. 

Biggest thing we need to do is try to get that DL. If we make one Splash signing make it DL. Imagine if we can get a Smith quality DL signing.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

53 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So many moves to consider.  Resign our fate to Martinez and his limitations with a coordinator that’s not a fit for his skill set? Or re-sign Martinez and get a new coordinator that will use him better?  Or get rid of both of them?  I'd keep Martinez unless the asking price is stupidly large. I'd keep trying for a coverage ILB to play alongside him and Push Petine to play more double ILBs which he'd probably be willing to do if decent talent is alongside Martinez. I'd further help the ILB group with an early DL 5 tech pick.

Keep Bulaga with a possible overspend and hope it turns out well for us?  Maybe he signs a home team discount (this has happened a lot for us).  Perry, Cobb, Adams and more signed team friendly deals.  They did.  Even Perry.  Perry would have made a LOT more if he hit the market.  Do we let him go and ensure a solid replacement with a first round pick, or hope we get lucky like we did with Elgton and wait until 2?  My advice here is never to expect a home town discount, it's just another way of saying lowball offer and good OTs are so rare in the NFL he'll easily get a better offer if the Packers do that. My guess was a 3 year deal for him (probably the minimum contract length he'd accept) at about $10m a year including some playing-time incentives. If you cross off getting a RT in this coming draft you can fill the remaining three most urgent needs (DL, WR, coverage  ILB) with the first three picks.

Do we go BPA in one?  What if that’s a corner?  Do we trade someone on our team?  Do we hope Jackson has a third year bump?  Do we trade King?  Do we sign a veteran DB to replace Tramon, who I will always and forever love?  I'd look first at a 5 tech 3-4 DE. If I didn't like Javon Kinlaw or Raekwon Davis (or any other DL) in round one, I'd shelve DL and go WR instead. As for Tramon, he'll be 37 in March next year, so I expect him to retire/be gone, even though he has been pretty ageless as a player. Since Josh Jackson is looking like he won't work as a CB the Packers need another body there - not a high pick, but a pick somewhere.

Do we cut Jimmy or do we restructure Jimmy?  Man is a hell of a teammate, but not worth his money.  I hope he stays.  Even if it means we have to honor his contract.  All the **** he’s put up with from Packer fans and I hope he gets a ring with us.  I am as certain as it is possible to be without actually knowing that Graham and Lewis are gone next year. the future is Tonyan and Sternberger and since this years draft is so lacking in TEs who can block, I'm guessing the Packers get, at best, a late pick there.

Do we hope Sternberger has a second year leap or do we make a move for a TE early?  Yes, you hope he and Tonyan improve, for the reasons stated above.

Gute is going to make some good choices, but he’s also going to make mistakes.  So many moves, so many needs, so many ways to improve.  This is why I like Madden.  I get to prove everyone wrong by finding Hall if Fame receivers in the 6th round and draft only premium positions in 1. Would you go for a QB this year and which round(s) would be the sweet spot for you ?

On 11/27/2019 at 8:24 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cool.

What are you doing at RT?

Are you gonna pay 10+ for a downgrade?

Are you spending a first rounder on a downgrade?

Not saying those aren't viable options, but you need to know that what you're getting when you make that decision to let an elite player at a premium position walk.

Although, I would like to see us resign Bulaga for a year,   I get letting Bulaga walk and either way would like to see us go OT round 1 or 2. Moving on from 27 year old Bulaga is letting a premium player at a plus position walk. Moving on from 31 year old  Bulaga is not. Based on age progression, he's likely out of the league in 2 years. In my time following the team, we never really regretted moving on from a 30ish year old OL (Rivera, Sitton, Lang).

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Although, I would like to see us resign Bulaga for a year,   I get letting Bulaga walk and either way would like to see us go OT round 1 or 2. Moving on from 27 year old Bulaga is letting a premium player at a plus position walk. Moving on from 31 year old  Bulaga is not. Based on age progression, he's likely out of the league in 2 years. In my time following the team, we never really regretted moving on from a 30ish year old OL (Rivera, Sitton, Lang).

Alternatively the Packers very likely don't win a Superbowl without Chad Clifton's 34 year old season

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

You don't get Bulaga for a one year deal because a) OT's are in too much demand by too many teams and b) Bulaga won't sign a one year deal. Three years is probably the minimum, and my earlier guess was a $10m pa deal with some reasonable (LTBE) playing time incentives. You can go OT in the first two rounds this year, but then you sacrifice a premium pick elsewhere. In my mind there are four important picks, OT (if Bulaga isn't signed), DL, WR, ILB.

Since three of those picks need to be in rounds 1-3, keeping Bulaga allows you to go DL, WR, ILB with the top picks. A key part of retaining Bulaga is giving the other positions draft priority this year.If Bulaga holds up in 2020, you can get his successor in the 2021 draft and feed him in gradually. You only really need Bulaga as a starter for two more years, but you will need a three year contract to retain him.

14 hours ago, cannondale said:

Anything to be able to put a WR with the First Rounder in a mock

I'm convinced WR isn't the problem, it's the QB who refuses to throw to the WR. You go back to the Super Bowl when he was threading the needle time after time. The compare it to how safely he plays now. It's really sad. 

I don't waste a pick on a WR until Rodgers throws to the guys he has and they prove they are not capable. He's not done that IMO. When he's given them chances they by and large have come through. 

Edited by Golfman

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Alternatively the Packers very likely don't win a Superbowl without Chad Clifton's 34 year old season

I get that too, I’d just say I’m more indifferent on keeping him. Either way we go we really should burn a top pick on an OT  for insurance and succession plans as it is obvious we don’t have it on the roster and we’re playing with fire keeping Bulaga