Jump to content
CWood21

2020 NFL Draft Discussion

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I think it depends on which position you are looking at. The quality in this draft is in part decided by who declares, but my take is this.

If you are looking for a good DT or a TE (and the Packers are probably looking at both) then it isn't a very good year and is definitely worse than in 2019. I think S might be a little below average, as well.

If you are chasing QB, RB or ILB, it's a good year..........and if you are after a WR, it is an exceptional year.

So, of the five positions most likely to be upgraded or added to by the Packers (DT, TE, WR, OT, ILB), two are projected as below average and two above average. The last position group (OT) might be just a little above average.

TE is definitely weaksauce this year, but IDL really isn't as bad as you think. Kinlaw or Davis partially solve the issue at IDL in the first round and we can get a solid DL that can flex to EDGE in James Lynch in the 3rd if we want to. OT is actually on par with WR with a ton of guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades. Plus a ton of OT's are flying up the boards as certain players declare. RB seems to be a pedestrian class this year, though that's certainly not to say there's a lack of talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe said:

TE is definitely weaksauce this year, but IDL really isn't as bad as you think. Kinlaw or Davis partially solve the issue at IDL in the first round and we can get a solid DL that can flex to EDGE in James Lynch in the 3rd if we want to. OT is actually on par with WR with a ton of guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades. Plus a ton of OT's are flying up the boards as certain players declare. RB seems to be a pedestrian class this year, though that's certainly not to say there's a lack of talent. 

We have danced this dance before. I'm not saying there aren't ANY DTs, just that it isn't that great a year for them (unlike last year). We have also previously disagreed on the quality at RB, this year, which I think should be a good one (but as RBs often declare as Juniors, it's hard to predict how many declare). I did say OTs are a touch above average, you think this a better year than that, you may be right. I guess the only solution to this difference of opinion is to wait and see how the draft pans out.

PS. AFTER writing this, I googled strength and weaknesses of the 2020 draft. This was the first link.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/07/13/nfl-draft-strengths-weaknesses-2020-class/

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

PS. AFTER writing this, I googled strength and weaknesses of the 2020 draft. This was the first link.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/07/13/nfl-draft-strengths-weaknesses-2020-class/

Written by a college kid....c'mon you're better than that....that's like quoting someone from one of these forums. Hardly a credible media source like PFF, CBS Sports, or Drafttek.

Edited by Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Clip from last year, but me gusta Tyler Johnson, amazing footwork on these routes, he is going to have a very high floor. 

I was wondering about him when I was looking at WR rankings. He's been on the ascent and is ranked between 35-50, by the pundits, which has traditionally been where a bunch of our favorite prospects tend to be selected. That route he runs in the clip is ridiculously crisp; it'll be interesting to see what his 40 time will be and whether or not it'll launch him into the 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

Written by a college kid....c'mon you're better than that....that's like quoting someone from one of these forums. Hardly a credible media source like PFF, CBS Sports, or Drafttek.

I've no idea who wrote it.

My point was that their assessment was essentially the same as mine at all positions, and remember,  I never looked at that site before I made my post, I only googled 2020 draft strengths and weaknesses AFTER you had disagreed with me. Is it just coincidence that they thought pretty much exactly the same as I did, or is that you that is the one out of step here ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypothetical Question to the draft experts here on this WR class: outside of Jeudy and Lamb (who are predicted to go before the Packers pick, at least presently), which WR do you like for the Packers in the first round? Note: It's just a hypothetical. I'm not asserting that the Packers should or will go WR in round one. 

Admittedly, I like Laviska Shenault for his versatility and physical play. Reminds me a bit of Sammy Watkins when he came out--runs over people just as much as around them. Granted, the flipside to that physical style is being more injury-prone. 

So how about prospects like Higgins or Ruggs (if he declares early)??? Whom do think would be a good fit on the Packers??

Edited by DWhitehurst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Hypothetical Question to the draft experts here on this WR class: outside of Jeudy and Lamb (who are predicted to go before the Packers pick, at least presently), which WR do you like for the Packers in the first round? Note: It's just a hypothetical. I'm not asserting that the Packers should or will go WR in round one. 

Admittedly, I like Laviska Shenault for his versatility and physical play. Reminds me a bit of Sammy Watkins when he came out--runs over people just as much as around them. Granted, the flipside to that physical style is being more injury-prone. 

So how about prospects like Higgins or Ruggs (if he declares early)??? Whom do think would be a good fit on the Packers??

This guy:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

This guy:
 

 

Just don't get a good vibe on this guy.  If Idaho State was on our schedule I'd agree, but I just don't see it.

Would have Ruggs, Higgins and D. Smith ahead of him.  Donavon-Peoples-Jones looks like and NFL WR too.

Edited by Dubz41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

Hypothetical Question to the draft experts here on this WR class: outside of Jeudy and Lamb (who are predicted to go before the Packers pick, at least presently), which WR do you like for the Packers in the first round? Note: It's just a hypothetical. I'm not asserting that the Packers should or will go WR in round one. 

Admittedly, I like Laviska Shenault for his versatility and physical play. Reminds me a bit of Sammy Watkins when he came out--runs over people just as much as around them. Granted, the flipside to that physical style is being more injury-prone. 

So how about prospects like Higgins or Ruggs (if he declares early)??? Whom do think would be a good fit on the Packers??

Golden Gandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

Hypothetical Question to the draft experts here on this WR class: outside of Jeudy and Lamb (who are predicted to go before the Packers pick, at least presently), which WR do you like for the Packers in the first round? Note: It's just a hypothetical. I'm not asserting that the Packers should or will go WR in round one. 

Admittedly, I like Laviska Shenault for his versatility and physical play. Reminds me a bit of Sammy Watkins when he came out--runs over people just as much as around them. Granted, the flipside to that physical style is being more injury-prone. 

So how about prospects like Higgins or Ruggs (if he declares early)??? Whom do think would be a good fit on the Packers??

Someone else suggested Tyler Johnson earlier who's on the ascent. Not so sure about Higgins being a good fit for what we're probably looking for, but definitely Ruggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Just don't get a good vibe on this guy.  If Idaho State was on our schedule I'd agree, but I just don't see it.

Would have Ruggs, Higgins and D. Smith ahead of him.  Donavon-Peoples looks like and NFL WR too.

He's got his warts for sure but I can say unequivocally that this dude was born to catch a football.

The Michigan WR's intrigue me too, just because I think their talent is being wasted with a bad QB. DPJ does has plenty of juice but he's been pretty meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

He's got his warts for sure but I can say unequivocally that this dude was born to catch a football.

The Michigan WR's intrigue me too, just because I think their talent is being wasted with a bad QB. DPJ does has plenty of juice but he's been pretty meh.

Unfortunately for DPJ, he's got the Gary Michigan syndrome: all the tools, little production= the Meh factor.  (though you pointed out the less than stellar QB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Unfortunately for DPJ, he's got the Gary Michigan syndrome: all the tools, little production= the Meh factor.  (though you pointed out the less than stellar QB)

I shouldn't say "bad" because for  B1G QB, he's more than adequate, but still. Have to imagine Burrow to DPJ would put up monster #'s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×