2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

If there's a to 32 graded tackle when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 32 graded IDL when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 10 graded QB when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 25 graded CB when we pick in the first, you take him.

If none of those are available, THEN you can consider WR/ILB/IOL in the first round.  So long as we pick later than 24th overall.  If we pick earlier than 24th overall, either trade up to get OT, IDL, CB, QBOTF, or trade down to 25th-32nd. 

This year it's that simple. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

If there's a to 32 graded tackle when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 32 graded IDL when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 10 graded QB when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 25 graded CB when we pick in the first, you take him.

If none of those are available, THEN you can consider WR/ILB/IOL in the first round.  So long as we pick later than 24th overall.  If we pick earlier than 24th overall, either trade up to get OT, IDL, CB, QBOTF, or trade down to 25th-32nd. 

This year it's that simple. 

Is there 10 QBs that are 1st round talent? Gotta be at least Top 5

I think what Outpost was saying was if your big board had a QB who you ranked as one of the top ten players overall in the draft, and he was still on the board when the Packers pick came around, you take him (The Aaron Rodgers draft scenario). Same applies to the numbers attached to other positions (25th, 32nd).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I read it the same way at first.  He means the overall rank of the player on your draft board, not the 10th best QB or 32nd best OL.

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I think what Outpost was saying was if your big board had a QB who you ranked as one of the top ten players overall in the draft, and he was still on the board when the Packers pick came around, you take him (The Aaron Rodgers draft scenario). Same applies to the numbers attached to other positions (25th, 32nd).

Y'all right

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Rodgers was a very different scenario to now. We can't move on from Rodgers due to contract so any QB would have to be backup for years. That was OK then but now the value in 1sr rounders is getting top talent on a rookie deal. This particularly applies to QB. Sitting them completely wastes most of the value of the pick.  If a QB is there you either pass or (preferably) trade the pick.

People can go OTT on value. Drafting a DT might get you more points in the draft value world championship but doesn't stop your receiving game continue to gradually go down the toilet. Sure you have to target value but you also have to help your team as well. The team is desperate for high end young receiving talent. Desperate. And that is more important getting more draft value world championship points.

It’s really not as simple as ‘only take guys at premium positions in round 1’. I agree tiu should focus on those positions but if there’s a significant gap between a player at a premium position and a non premium it’s not the best strategy to take the lower grade player. There’s more variables is what I’m saying. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what to think of Javon Kinlaw. 

6'6 310 pound guys are rare enough, to say nothing of one's with some juice, and we need one. 

He's got a great first step. He uses his hands pretty darn well. He's legit strong enough to drive guys back into the QB. He moves very well laterally and has a good sense of when to get upfield and cut off the run. 

But what the hell do you do with that double team anchor? Woof. Anybody gets into his ribs while he's engaged, they can take him all the way to the parking lot. It's wild. 

I could see him being a top 10 guy on our board with how we disregard the run, but it's looking like he's not gonna be available at our slot anyway.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Marvin Wilson using a pass rushing move on like every snap is one of my favorite things. I lost count of how many times he got a guy's shoulder pads inside and threw them away. 

I want to see the combine before I get too excited about him, but if he jumps well and has a good ten split, I could see this being the pick also. Will also be interesting to see what he weighs.

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have no idea what to think of Javon Kinlaw. 

6'6 310 pound guys are rare enough, to say nothing of one's with some juice, and we need one. 

He's got a great first step. He uses his hands pretty darn well. He's legit strong enough to drive guys back into the QB. He moves very well laterally and has a good sense of when to get upfield and cut off the run. 

But what the hell do you do with that double team anchor? Woof. Anybody gets into his ribs while he's engaged, they can take him all the way to the parking lot. It's wild. 

I could see him being a top 10 guy on our board with how we disregard the run, but it's looking like he's not gonna be available at our slot anyway.

I really liked what I saw of Kinlaw last year in watching some other players.  Have not looked if anything more has developed.  Might be hard to pass the movement skills, size and hands even if he gets moved on the doubles.  You would hope a pair of Clark and Kinlaw would create a much better set up for the front 7 as a whole.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Marvin Wilson using a pass rushing move on like every snap is one of my favorite things. I lost count of how many times he got a guy's shoulder pads inside and threw them away. 

I want to see the combine before I get too excited about him, but if he jumps well and has a good ten split, I could see this being the pick also. Will also be interesting to see what he weighs.

Once you get passed the two guys you listed, that's it. FA DL class >>>>> draft DL class. Lowry/Adams/Lancaster/Keke is a fine bench, spend to get that #2 and we're all good.

The OT & WR class is where we'll get value from our pick. OT in Rd 1, WR in 2.

TE and ILB are the two positions where we're going to have to fall into some luck or we're going to be mediocre at best at next year, some could argue we are this year and are 9-3 so maybe not the worst thing.

• Like 1

With trepidation I bring data from Twitter....but anybody know (like) these guys and feel they'll contribute at the next level?

Ben Fennell - If you didn’t know about Memphis WRs Antonio Gibson or Damonte Coxie before last night... I hope you do now. Two guys with ability to make plays on Sundays

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

With trepidation I bring data from Twitter....but anybody know (like) these guys and feel they'll contribute at the next level?

Ben Fennell - If you didn’t know about Memphis WRs Antonio Gibson or Damonte Coxie before last night... I hope you do now. Two guys with ability to make plays on Sundays

Haven't gotten to Memphis, you could probably make a case that 25 WRs belong in a top 100 prospects this year. It's going to be a great class. 

• Like 1