2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

Josh Allen the EDGE guy is under the radar because Sacksonville is so up and down this year. Their offense can't decide between Foles and Minshew and the back end of their secondary has pretty much been gutted with the Ramsey trade amongst other things. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Golfman said:

I'd prefer a interior d-lineman because there won't be one in the draft. Not to mention those guys, unless elite, usually don't get paid by teams. 

We have Tonyan and Sternberger who I am quite high on for next year at TE. Add a low level free agent and a late round pic.  We need to address Oline and ILB in the draft. I'm guessing we get a WR too. 

I think we need to go IDL right away as there will be a few good prospects to choose from when we pick in the 1st, maybe the 2nd if Davis slips.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Josh Allen the EDGE guy is under the radar because Sacksonville is so up and down this year. Their offense can't decide between Foles and Minshew and the back end of their secondary has pretty much been gutted with the Ramsey trade amongst other things. 

I think we need to go IDL right away as there will be a few good prospects to choose from when we pick in the 1st, maybe the 2nd if Davis slips.

Raekown? Oh my, I think he's got bust written all over him. I think that is still really good value in round 2 however. 

Edited by Golfman

On 12/16/2019 at 10:13 PM, MantyWrestler said:

No it’s not. If Gary had the ability to produce like that right now how could would look similar. As if some team wouldn’t play a guy more who can produce. And I think Gary still has some of the highest upside of this group. 

Idk why people are saying this. Preston and Zadarius have been playing great ball this year, and you think a 21-22 year old rookie who is switching positions was going to take their snaps?? Especially being in many close games? That's ridiculous. 

32 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Idk why people are saying this. Preston and Zadarius have been playing great ball this year, and you think a 21-22 year old rookie who is switching positions was going to take their snaps?? Especially being in many close games? That's ridiculous. 

With how Z moves inside, there were snaps to be taken.  Gary was, and still may be, behind Fackrell.

What is encouraging, is that 4 DL set with Gary, Preston, Z and Clark.  If Gary continues to improve, that could be a pretty good front 4 to get pressure.  And we know if you can pressure with 4 that really helps the secondary.

Add to that a little blitz package with a safety, as Amos has a few sacks, and I think could be a nice pressure set.  Just something to look for.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

With how Z moves inside, there were snaps to be taken.  Gary was, and still may be, behind Fackrell.

What is encouraging, is that 4 DL set with Gary, Preston, Z and Clark.  If Gary continues to improve, that could be a pretty good front 4 to get pressure.  And we know if you can pressure with 4 that really helps the secondary.

Add to that a little blitz package with a safety, as Amos has a few sacks, and I think could be a nice pressure set.  Just something to look for.

Gary is showing flashes. Am I saying he's going to be an all-pro, no. But I also am not worried about him at all right now. Kinda like a red-shirt year, 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 5:16 PM, Golfman said:

Raekown? Oh my, I think he's got bust written all over him. I think that is still really good value in round 2 however. 

Coming into this year he was a late 1st but he's been fairly quiet this year I do have to say. That'll translate into his availability in the 2nd. Ergo, we could go OT in the first or even drop a few spots back to get Trey Adams, then select Davis in the 2nd.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:07 AM, JBURGE said:

Not to discount what Josh Allen is done, but he does play on a line with Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue, just like Nick Bosa has Buckner, Armstead and Dee Ford. This is not a comparison to what we have, just mentioning because it certainly helps

But he has been fantastic. I understand Mayock wanting a character guy, and we didn't sit in any interviews with either, but Allen was just so much nicer of a prospect on the field. Allen and Maxx Crosby in one draft

I think Gary gets plenty of help from his running mates as well.  I don't see this DL as any different/worse outside of the rookie rusher. 

Being able to play all 4 of Clark, Smith, Z, and Gary should be a big deal in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think Gary gets plenty of help from his running mates as well.  I don't see this DL as any different/worse outside of the rookie rusher. 

Being able to play all 4 of Clark, Smith, Z, and Gary should be a big deal in the playoffs.

Ok, but you're missing his point: Allen and Bosa's DL's are eons better than ours...

51 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

No, they are not.

There’s also diminishing returns to how much the rest of the line affects the matter. Like you aren’t just going to not block an edge rusher because the other three rushers are so much more formidable. Especially a guy like Bosa or Allen. They’re still going to be rushing against a tackle no matter who else is lining up with them. That tackle not getting help because help is going to the opposing tackle is no different from not getting help because the help is going to the other tackle and the guards. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Are you two trolling here? You're telling me with a straight face that our DL is as elite as San Francisco's or nearly as good as Jax's?

That is literally your argument???? wow...

no? my argument is in the post above yours and makes no claims at all as to the comparative quality of any DLs. It's about the limits of how much talent across the rest of a rush group helps the weakest link rusher.

I’d like to start the Jalen Reagor in round 2 hype train. Didn’t have the best jr year due to quarterbacking, but would provide instant juice to our wr core and a nice weapon to use in space that we haven’t had since young Cobb. He’d also help the return game. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe said:

Ok, but you're missing his point: Allen and Bosa's DL's are eons better than ours...

I think the point is this.  Bosa and Allen are better.  And neither was available when we picked Gary.

I wanted a trade up for Allen, but man, that likely means we don't get Savage.

Hindsight (and to be clear you aren't doing that) is tough with this one.  There's a small chance we still get Savage without the move up.  And a larger possibility that he isn't there.

Can't help but think maybe if GB doesn't get one of the Smiths, then maybe they are more inclined to move up for an EDGE who could come in right away and play.  But, they had the Smiths and the luxury of taking a kid that is developmental.  That pick became a pick for the future.  And...it is nice to see a little return on that now.  Even though the return is small, it is still something.