2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Martinez is absolutely the "must-sign" of this year's FA class, but only up to a certain point.  But they've really shown that they're not willing to invest a ton into the position both via draft capital and through spending.  They're certainly not coming close to the $14.25M/year for Myles Jack.  Probably not even Jaylon Smith at $11.4M.  I think they're coming in just south of what the Vikings gave Eric Kendricks.  Something around 4 years, $38M or so.

Speaking of LB, the guy I want come April is  Kenneth Murphy, Jr.  The guy is a heat seeking missile.  All the hype during OU’s opener was about Jalen Hurts (understandably so) but Murphy was the best player on the field that night imo.  You’re an OU guy, right?  What’s your take on him?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That sounds fantastic, but that's only really happening if Bryan Bulaga has an injury-plagued year.  And if he doesn't, he's going to get paid significantly.

I agree which is why I think its time ... not because I don't think he is still a very good RT but because its time to move on and let someone else take the risk. Age and injury history are by a mile the way to project tomorrow's injuries.

I'd love to have him on the roster next year and would be OK with an overpay on a 1 year deal. But not a multi-year deal for big money. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure we're spending all that much on CB next offseason, unless Kevin King struggles to stay healthy this year.  Jaire Alexander looks like a star.  Josh Jackson is being brought along, and he looked better this preseason than he did last year.  Ka'Dar Hollman was looking like a steal in our draft along with Kingsley Keke in the preseason before he got hurt, and the Packers effectively have Tony Brown locked up for 2 more years minimum (He's an ERFA this offseason and a RFA the next offseason).  They'll add someone to keep up the numbers there, but I don't anticipate them drafting a CB high.  Probably somewhere in that 3rd-5th round range.

Yeah, the more I thought about it the less certain I became.  We do have a lot of talent in the secondary.  The other problem becomes, if you draft another DB in the first or second you might run into a situation where we let Hyde and Hayward go in FA and then bust on our draft picks...

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Not ILB? I have no problem waiting on ILB if value at OL and CB comes first, but we need a solid dime backer at worst out of this next draft unless Burks comes on strong; even then it wouldn't hurt to have a solid back-up. FWIW, Drafttek has Calvin Throckmorton mocked to us in the 1st at the moment. On the other hand, it appears that there are about 4 or 5 guys at the top of both the OT and CB classes before a drop off to early in the 3rd.

RB is deep too, but give me Najee Harris on Day 2 as a ground-n-pound compliment to the other three backs; Jonathan Taylor's speed is fine. He may not be Zeke at the next level, but he'll be a reliable starter as long as he can stay healthy. IOL is a fairly deep class that we should consider as well.

Clark needs to be extended immediately before he gets too expensive and we should consider adding to that DL...

I honestly think Bolton could be a really good player.  Yeah, I'd love to have a duo like the Bears have at ILB, but a Martinez-Bolton combo could cover a lot of ground and make a lot of plays.

Maybe interior DL will be another option?  What's interesting is that there just aren't positions with gaping holes right now.

My personal suspicion is that next year is going to give the offense a makeover similar to the defensive makeover for this year.  Do one season in the new system to see how what you've got works there, then replace guys who don't fit with guys who do.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if 3 of the first four picks next April are on offense.  First round OL and 2nd round WR, for starters.

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Speaking of LB, the guy I want come April is  Kenneth Murphy, Jr.  The guy is a heat seeking missile.  All the hype during OU’s opener was about Jalen Hurts (understandably so) but Murphy was the best player on the field that night imo.  You’re an OU guy, right?  What’s your take on him?

Honestly, I try to avoid evaluating Oklahoma players.  Oklahoma has usually done a pretty good job of keeping their underclassmen in Norman outside of their skill positions.  Last year seems to be an anomaly at this point.  As for Murray, he's a good player.  He's been incredibly productive.  He's probably a Day 2 prospect.  He's not elite, but he's one of those guys who is a plug 'n play kind of guy.  I think he's got some issues in run support, particularly with regards to dealing with lineman.  I'm not sure how well he's going to handle in an odd front.

• Like 1

Resign:

Crosby

Martinez

Clark

Allison

Let go next year:

Bulaga

Trevor Davis (Shep becomes returner)

Fackrell

We probably won’t have $$ to bring in free agents and our team looks so much more set now than it has in a while so those three should fetch us 2 or 3 compensatory picks in 2021. I’m guessing a 4th for Bulaga and maybe a 6th and 7th. 

Age releases who probably won’t fetch us comp picks:

Tramon

Mercedes

Edited by boratt

With that offseason in mind, Light does seem to be ascending to potential starting caliber player. Turner could slide over and insert Jenkins. But OT would be a big help.  A high quality running back would be nice somewhere r2-r4. An ILB would be really nice considering we only really have one decent one. 

Of course, a star player at any position never hurts so BPA is always nice too. 

Edited by boratt

6 minutes ago, boratt said:

Resign:

Crosby

Martinez

Clark

Allison

Let go next year:

Bulaga

Fackrell

We probably won’t have $$ to bring in free agents and our team looks so much more set now than it has in a while so those three should fetch us 2 or 3 compensatory picks in 2021. I’m guessing a 4th for Bulaga and maybe a 6th and 7th. 

Tramon

Mercedes

Seems like Ficken kicked pretty well in camp.  Might be a case where GB was looking a year ahead.  Have that kicker in camp for the competition, bring him back next season and maybe he is ready to go.  Give him some coaching and let him know what he needs to work on.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Seems like Ficken kicked pretty well in camp.  Might be a case where GB was looking a year ahead.  Have that kicker in camp for the competition, bring him back next season and maybe he is ready to go.  Give him some coaching and let him know what he needs to work on.  

Possibly. Crosby was by biggest question mark on my keep list

Bulaga is my biggest question on the depart list. How much do they like Light and/or Turner at tackle. That is the question. They might view Light as a solid starting RT like they viewed Taylor at guard a couple years ago. Don’t know what they think of Turner either. If they don’t have confidence in either guy, maybe they’re almost forced to bring Bulaga back. You can’t predict the draft and don’t wanna go in with a glaring hole.

Edited by boratt

6 hours ago, boratt said:

Bulaga is my biggest question on the depart list. How much do they like Light and/or Turner at tackle. That is the question. They might view Light as a solid starting RT like they viewed Taylor at guard a couple years ago. Don’t know what they think of Turner either. If they don’t have confidence in either guy, maybe they’re almost forced to bring Bulaga back. You can’t predict the draft and don’t wanna go in with a glaring hole.

I was a little surprised that Graham wasn't high on your depart list. A $9m cap saving by releasing him after 2019, just as Kenny Clark's contract becomes due. Replacements are on the team with Tonyan and Sternberger (and probably another  addition).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boratt said:

Resign:

Crosby

Martinez

Clark

Allison

Let go next year:

Bulaga

Fackrell

Tramon

Mercedes

This has become the norm of this forum for the past 2 years. Not surprised to see it already picking up steam before 19' season has even gone into its 2nd week.