2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

51 minutes ago, Joe said:

Who do you have us picking, though? This last TE class wasn't really that great outside of Fant, Hockenson, and Smith Jr.  After that, there was a huge drop off and Sternberger is a bit of a gamble TBH. This next class is even weaker.

As for the RB situation. I think we're all set, we've got two guys that compliment each other well and then a rookie who's kind of an all-purpose RB2 at best right now. If we were to pick a RB, it would simply be as a result of a deep class. 

I'm thinking finding Tramon's replacement and/or attacking the IOL situation are the best strategies at the moment. There are some nice WR's as well, but two of our Day 3 investments from last year seem to be panning out and Allison has emerged as a solid role player. I get the sneaking suspicion that we just might make a big trade up into the mid-1st if the stars align and we like a guy; at least the way the board sits at the moment.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Irv Smith was definitely closer to Sternberger than he was either of the Iowa TEs fwiw.  Irv Smith is more of an H-back body type, and he wasn't overly dominant while at Alabama.  Ironically, Irv Smith's production and Combine numbers were fairly similar to Sternberger.  I think if you switched the two, Sternberger would have gone higher.  Albert Okwuegbunam is the headliner in this year's TE class, but behind him I'm not overly exciting about anyone.  Colby Parkinson has the height and solid production, but at 6'7", you'd anticipate him being a bit heavier than the 251 he's listed at.

Neither of you have to worry about next year's tight end class.

Tonyan has us covered.  In Tonyan I trust.

• Like 1

I'm starting to buy into the notion that OT is going to be our biggest need going into the 2020 draft. Bulaga is a free agent and Bak has been dealing with back issues the past two year. They seem to be minor at this point, but back issues never seem to go away and given his profession we should be planning ahead. 

There appears to be a decent crop of OT's that are fairly highly rated too. Not sure how secure any of us Packer fans feel having Light blocking Rodgers blindside. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yes sir. I'm more than comfortable rolling with Tonyan and Sternberger going forward. Don't feel the need to invest a premium pick in the TE position. 

Even if we had to invest a premium pick, the TE class this upcoming year is weak sauce...

47 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm starting to buy into the notion that OT is going to be our biggest need going into the 2020 draft. Bulaga is a free agent and Bak has been dealing with back issues the past two year. They seem to be minor at this point, but back issues never seem to go away and given his profession we should be planning ahead. 

There appears to be a decent crop of OT's that are fairly highly rated too. Not sure how secure any of us Packer fans feel having Light blocking Rodgers blindside. 

I'm liking Trey Adams out of Washington currently.

40 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I rather like the idea of Moretti19's first pick in his draft. Tristam Wirfs, Iowa.

Barring injury or severe regression, you could plug-n-play him into the RT position from Day 1. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Which is why I'm not concerned about TE during that draft process. I'd rather just take someone like Grant Calcaterra or Harrison Bryant late.

Not sure Calcaterra makes it to Day 3 and if he does, we have an issue. I just don't like the idea of cutting Graham and letting Lewis walk when that leaves us with two rather inexperienced TE's. 

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Not sure Calcaterra makes it to Day 3 and if he does, we have an issue. I just don't like the idea of cutting Graham and letting Lewis walk when that leaves us with two rather inexperienced TE's. 

Oops. Meant to say "later" there, not late. Calcaterra in the 3rd or Bryant in the 4th. Those would be my targets over investing a 1st in Albert O.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Oops. Meant to say "later" there, not late. Calcaterra in the 3rd or Bryant in the 4th. Those would be my targets over investing a 1st in Albert O.

Yeah, I trust Calcaterra at that position more than I trust AO in the top-50 where he's currently slated. I suspect he'll blow up the combine and someone will reach on him...

On 10/09/2019 at 4:41 AM, boratt said:

Bulaga is my biggest question on the depart list. How much do they like Light and/or Turner at tackle. That is the question. They might view Light as a solid starting RT like they viewed Taylor at guard a couple years ago. Don’t know what they think of Turner either. If they don’t have confidence in either guy, maybe they’re almost forced to bring Bulaga back. You can’t predict the draft and don’t wanna go in with a glaring hole.

Ideally they make a second contract Tackle their free agency priority and/or take one early in the draft.

We've had the discussion before with Bulaga and keeping him doesn't work.  Age and Injury history are the best way to predict injuries. Giving guys like him big money multi-year contracts just isn't a sensible move - these contracts nearly always become a problem very quickly. Not saying for a second he can't still be a very good player and if he is reasonably healthy then I'm more than happy to overpay a bit on a 1 year deal - maybe a 2 year deal with a very easy exit after 1 year. But as has been pointed out this probably wont get it done.

• Like 1