2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

6 hours ago, Leader said:

50 players are listed on the stat line for tackles. Blake Martinez currently leads them all. I presume that includes his week 4 efforts and the others will be updated after today/Monday. The list is *dominated* by the LB position. Safety comes in second. There's one DE. No DL. Now - Clearly not all the LBs listed are ILBs - but its clear the position is the tackling engine of the NFL defensive machine. Why we have the continual "angst" - "Oh no, we cant designate a high draft pick to the position"....is beyond me. If a difference maker is there to be taken - its clear that player can (and will) make a difference.

Just for fun (which is all it is this early), I did do a fanspeak 4 round draft. I got Alabama's OT Alex Leatherwood in the first (a slight reach as currently rated). Wisconsin's RB Jonathan Taylor was available in the 2nd so I snapped him up immediately. Round three was an ILB, Oklahoma's Kenneth Murray. In the fourth I noticed the first 7 or so highest rated picks left were LBs, which is worth watching as there might be value for ILBs in round 4. My round 4 pick was Ole Miss DL Benito Jones.

I thought you might be interested in the ILB part of that draft.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Just for fun (which is all it is this early), I did do a fanspeak 4 round draft. I got Alabama's OT Alex Leatherwood in the first (a slight reach as currently rated). Wisconsin's RB Jonathan Taylor was available in the 2nd so I snapped him up immediately. Round three was an ILB, Oklahoma's Kenneth Murray. In the fourth I noticed the first 7 or so picks left were LBs which is worth watching, as there might be value for ILBs in round 4. My round 4 pick was Ole Miss DL Benito Jones.

I thought you might be interested in the ILB part of that draft.

According to CBS draft site they have a lot of LB in top 100. Love to be able to grab a developmental guy in round 4. That of course is assuming we have Martinez back next year and Burks develops. Bolton on IR so we might actually have some options next year. Clearly we don't this year. 

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Is Chase Young from Ohio State supposed to be like a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft?  I watched a little bit of their game against Nebraska and i kept seeing his name.

Top 3 likely

EDGE rushers in the NFL are dying.  Teams are learning how to minimize their impact, so I'm glad we got somebody as versatile as Gary and Z. Smith.  We still need another everydown DL. 

I don't mind paying Lowry what we're paying him as depth.  I just don't want to see Lancaster out there anymore.  If Montravious Adams doesn't get healthy and start producing, IDL will be #1 on my wishlist for the first round next year.  Then you hope maybe Turner can take over Bulaga's spot and we can draft IOL in 4/5. 

1. IDL
2. ILB
3. WR/TE
4. OT
5. IOL

Perfect draft right there. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

EDGE rushers in the NFL are dying.  Teams are learning how to minimize their impact, so I'm glad we got somebody as versatile as Gary and Z. Smith.  We still need another everydown DL. 

I don't mind paying Lowry what we're paying him as depth.  I just don't want to see Lancaster out there anymore.  If Montravious Adams doesn't get healthy and start producing, IDL will be #1 on my wishlist for the first round next year.  Then you hope maybe Turner can take over Bulaga's spot and we can draft IOL in 4/5. 

1. IDL
2. ILB
3. WR/TE
4. OT
5. IOL

Agree pretty much with this. If we pick late, I would like a combination of OT, IDL, WR in the first 2 rounds. 

At this stage break out the dice box and have at it.  We don't know what Packer FA's we retain, we don't know what new ones we bring in, we don't know who becomes a player this year yet.

Not to mention we don't know how our 2020 picks and value break down.  Could as easily end up..

1. OT

2. RB

3. ILB

4. DL

5. WR

Edited by 15412

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

1. IDL
2. ILB
3. WR/TE
4. OT
5. IOL

One of those top 4 needs to be a vet FA ( or bringing back Martinez or Bulaga).

We need an upgrade at the skills, and a young upgrade. We should have cap room for 1 modest (8-10m per) contract. I hope we go after Roy Robertson Harris personally as long as he doesn't get the 1st round tender.

Round 2 WR, another TE and another RB all sound nice. On top of some more OL help. Really need to hope we can bring Blake back on a modest deal cause we've gone too defense heavy for too long.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

One of those top 4 needs to be a vet FA ( or bringing back Martinez or Bulaga).

We need an upgrade at the skills, and a young upgrade. We should have cap room for 1 modest (8-10m per) contract. I hope we go after Roy Robertson Harris personally as long as he doesn't get the 1st round tender.

Round 2 WR, another TE and another RB all sound nice. On top of some more OL help. Really need to hope we can bring Blake back on a modest deal cause we've gone too defense heavy for too long.

We really need some offensive player help.  Past few drafts have been defensive heavy due to various circumstances already mentioned elsewhere.  Need help draft wise and free agent wise to upgrade numerous positions … wr, te, rb, ol … just about every position needs/could use help! 

Still no word on Bulaga ? Love him but it's Week 5 and he's already starting to miss time. Unlike MM I think we may see a lot of max protect. Getting a starting caliber OT is a must next draft. Not a project. Not potential. Premium. I have a feeling some fans will be reminded just how important that position is

Edited by cannondale

I am the first one to admit my novice thoughts in this forum are not at the level of so many veteran posters. That said, I really like the line of thinking that OneTwoSixFive posted regarding the first three picks for Green Bay's 2020 draft--Leatherwood at OT, Taylor at RB, and Murray at ILB. Many of the mock drafts I read (DraftWire, CBS) have Green Bay looking first to replace the aged Bulaga and save some bucks. Leatherwood could be there for us at the end of Round One. Johnathan Taylor would be a terrific pick in the second, but I have a hard time believing he will fall that far. Maybe someone like Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt, would make some sense in round two? He's 6'4" and about 260, blocks as well as catches, and looks to be available in the late second. In the third round, Murray as an ILB makes so much sense, although there has been some talk of looking at RB in the first three rounds too. Maybe a back like Kylin Hill of Mississippi State would be a consideration? He's reported to be 5'11" and 216, so he should have decent size to take some pounding--and another quality back may be necessary anyway considering the injuries Jones and Williams have sustained. ...Just sayin'.

17 hours ago, 15412 said:

At this stage break out the dice box and have at it.  We don't know what Packer FA's we retain, we don't know what new ones we bring in, we don't know who becomes a player this year yet.

Not to mention we don't know how our 2020 picks and value break down.  Could as easily end up..

1. OT

2. RB

3. ILB

4. DL

5. WR

Ha ! Exactly the positions I drafted on Fanspeak, a few posts above yours.................and in the same order as well.

12 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

I am the first one to admit my novice thoughts in this forum are not at the level of so many veteran posters. That said, I really like the line of thinking that OneTwoSixFive posted regarding the first three picks for Green Bay's 2020 draft--Leatherwood at OT, Taylor at RB, and Murray at ILB. Many of the mock drafts I read (DraftWire, CBS) have Green Bay looking first to replace the aged Bulaga and save some bucks. Leatherwood could be there for us at the end of Round One. Johnathan Taylor would be a terrific pick in the second, but I have a hard time believing he will fall that far. Maybe someone like Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt, would make some sense in round two? He's 6'4" and about 260, blocks as well as catches, and looks to be available in the late second. In the third round, Murray as an ILB makes so much sense, although there has been some talk of looking at RB in the first three rounds too. Maybe a back like Kylin Hill of Mississippi State would be a consideration? He's reported to be 5'11" and 216, so he should have decent size to take some pounding--and another quality back may be necessary anyway considering the injuries Jones and Williams have sustained. ...Just sayin'.

We need a ground-n-pound back and Najee Harris in the 3rd or 4th would fit the bill. If we're thinking that there is value at ILB at that point, it would behoove us to maybe double dip in the event we are satisfied with what happens in the first two rounds.

You're right! I hadn't thought of Harris, but he is a perfect example of a ground and pounder--someone who can take punishment as well as dish it out. As far as ILB goes, any thoughts on what round a backer like Paddy Fisher from Northwestern might go? Some sites see him in gone in round two because of his aggressiveness. That is a great quality most of the time, but like Martinez did in last weekend's game--it can lead you to charge into the wrong hole and take yourself out of the play. Maybe it is just me, but in the game against the Badgers, I thought Fisher didn't appear to have the speed to be real good at covering backs out of the backfield. Maybe he drops to a later round? Then again, I am pretty new to this stuff.  As it's possible we lose Martinez to free agency, maybe double-dipping in later rounds is the best idea.