2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

I think we can all agree that we would be comfortable with the following:

1. OT

2. WR

3. DL

4. CB/S

5-7. ILB/TE/BPA

Last night's game exposed out lack of depth on the back half of the secondary. Kevin King played like he should be playing the Star/FS role in this defense. On the other hand, we gave them a ton of opportunities with the coverage scheme. Felt a bit too soft.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I think we can all agree that we would be comfortable with the following:

1. OT

2. WR

3. DL

4. CB/S

5-7. ILB/TE/BPA

Last night's game exposed out lack of depth on the back half of the secondary. Kevin King played like he should be playing the Star/FS role in this defense. On the other hand, we gave them a ton of opportunities with the coverage scheme. Felt a bit too soft.

The Bears Lions wisely took advantage of the Packers not having Savage. I don't think Golladay gets either of those big plays if Savage is in the game.

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

Drafttek's updated 2020 Mock for the Packers

1.29 - Tee Higgins | WR | Clemson
- This draft had seven OT off the board before our pick (Andrew Thomas #6, Trey Adams #7, Tristan Wirfs #10, Alaric Jackson #11, Calvin Throckmorton #12, Alex Leatherwood #15, Prince Tega Wanogho #27) which would leave Yasir Durant (#40 to ARZ) as the best OT available according to their rankings. Higgins is a 6'4" 200 lbs possession receiver. Don't really advocate going WR in the 1st (trade back at least), but Higgins would fit really well with Adams and MVS. Albert Okwuegbunam was still on the board so that's another option should we want a receiving threat.

2.61 - Shaquille Quarterman | ILB | Miami (FL)
- This would depend on what happens with Blake. Quarterman is one of the few highlights on a dreadful Miami (FL) team. Personally, I don't think he goes this early but who's to say? Rashard Lawrence, a 6'3" 317 lbs IDL from LSU was on the board and is someone I could see playing pretty well next to Kenny. Big body to eat blocks and free up the LBs behind him. Another interesting IDL option would be Neville Gallimore who was also on the board. I think, if the board fell this way, we'd go with one of the IDL over Quarterman or an interior backer. If we wanted to go OT, Saadhiq Charles of LSU was on the board as well. 

3.93 - Brycen Hopkins | TE | Purdue
- Hopkins is a highly intriguing TE. He's a polished route runner and Purdue's big play guy up the seams. He's 6'5" 245 and definitely isn't a stiff like Graham. Great hands so he's a reliable target. Not a great blocker though but that doesn't seem to be a huge issue in regards to TE talent these days. I wouldn't hate the pick as I think he's got more talent than Sternberger but that also comes from living in Big Ten country and seeing a ton of Purdue football. If we wanted to go OT, Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame was on the board.

4.125 - Sam Ehlinger | QB | Texas
- Now this is one pick that I absolutely hate. Ehlinger is not an NFL QB. Slow on progressions, doesn't have a great arm and looks to tuck and run once the play breaks down rather than keeping his eyes on the field. I hate this even more knowing that a much better pro fit at QB, Jordan Love, was on the board. That being said, Wisconsin LT Cole Van Lanen was available as was Tennessee's Trey Smith, who, while likely a guard, is an intriguing option at RT should Bulaga bounce. Lots of guys on the board that I'm a fan of here so this Ehlinger pick just grinds my gears lol.

5.156 - AJ Dillon | RB | Boston College
- Dillon is a lot like Jamaal Williams and would be another power back option. He's on a pretty bad Boston College team so it's hard to read much from his numbers but the kid has some talent. He's also a solid 3rd down back and is a good blocker. I think we could do far worse if we're looking for a late round RB that can make an impact down the line.

6.188 - Kyle Dugger | SAF | Lenoir-Rhyne
- I have absolutely no idea who Dugger is but he seems to be the small school love affair prospect this year so he'll probably go a lot higher than this. He's 6'2" 220 and apparently runs a 4.4 40 with a 6.7 3 cone. If there's anything to his on-field abilities, he won't be here come April/May. 

7.196 - Isaiahh Loudermilk | DL | Wisconsin
- Being a Wisconsin fan, I doubt Loudermilk goes pro so I'm not going to comment much on him. He's a good, sound football player with some untapped potential. Just don't see him leaving early.

7.202 - Rodrigo Blankenship | K | Georgia
- Guess it wouldn't hurt to land the best kicker in college to challenge the Silver Fox. That's all I got for him.

7.214 - Cameron Dantzler | CB | Mississippi State
- Listed at 6'2" 185, he's been projected all over the draft so far. Seen him in the 1st, 3rd and now the 7th. 

If we could get Higgins on a trade back ala Jordy, I would be thrilled. Not so much in the 1st round.

Say no to Quarterman.

I like the Hopkins pick a lot.

Ehlinger blows

Dillon's that guy that everybody is going to be mocking to their teams as a 5th round pick and then be grossed out when he's drafted in the 3rd round.

No idea who Dugger is.

Loudermilk probably isn't coming out this year, but talk about a guy who's going to be a way better pro than he is a college player. Damn.

Blankenship blowing the last game against SC isn't the right week to be posting this.

Dantzler strikes me as a 4th round tools guy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If the plan is to take a WR with our first round pick, I’d rather just trade for a receiver already in the NFL.  

I get the feeling. Wrs take about a as year of seasoning to get going. I’m a sucker for rookie deals though (especially since we’re looking at a few big deals coming up in Clark/Blake/Bulaga and only have about 35m to work with once Grahm gets cut).

I agree that getting  a good veteran WR is difficult, with what the Packers spent to get P.Smith, Z.Smith, Amos and Turner. Maybe not impossible, but difficult with the contracts coming up.

Taken in isolation, I like the idea of a vet WR since they can be up and running in year one, but in the circumstances the Packers find themselves it's difficult.

It might be easier (and cheaper) to get a vet TE. The draft is bad for TE this year, especially if you want one who can block. Of the veteran TE FAs after the 2019 season,  it seems we have Vance MacDonald (Steelers, age 30 now), Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle (both Indy) ages 27 and 30. There is Tyler Eifert (Cincy), age 29, and Garrett Celek (SanFran) age 32. I'd ignore guys like Vernon Davis and Jason witten (who are past it at 36 and 38). A vet TE could bridge the gap of the youth already with the Packers (Sternberger and Tonyan) and tide them over until the 2021 or 2022 draft. Hunter Henry is another possibility, he is only 25 and I have no idea how he has been playing for the Chargers.

If the Packers DO go for a WR it should be in the first three rounds, with round two probably being the sweet spot. They may need either to trade to higher spot in round  2 for the best value, or trade back from the first like they did with Jordy so long ago. The Pack do not need a 4th/5th/6th receiver, they need a no.2 or a starter in the slot, which is why the pick needs to be high. If the Packers could get value by going OT, WR, ILB (which appears possible, on a too-early look at the draft) they would be filling up the teams depth nicely.

It is perfectly possible that MVS or ESB or Lazard or Shepherd could rise up to be a credible no.2 or slot guy, but it is a roll of the dice while you wait (and hope for)  the jump.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive