2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

i bet you would have told morgan burnett to kneel instead of return that pick six in the 2014 NFCCG

Different situations. With 1:40 left in the game and no way for your opponent to stop the clock, you can take a knee three times and the game is over. Giving them the ball back up 10 with a little under 2 minutes to play is an objectively worse situation (albeit still one with a pretty low win %for MIA). If Burnett’s pick had occurred in the same situation I’d say the same thing. The fact that Seattle put together an onside kick and 34-second TD drive without using any timeouts at the end of that game illustrates perfectly why I would choose not to even give my opponent the ball. 

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Different situations. With 1:40 left in the game and no way for your opponent to stop the clock, you can take a knee three times and the game is over. Giving them the ball back up 10 with a little under 2 minutes to play is an objectively worse situation (albeit still one with a pretty low win %for MIA). If Burnett’s pick had occurred in the same situation I’d say the same thing. The fact that Seattle put together an onside kick and 34-second TD drive without using any timeouts at the end of that game illustrates perfectly why I would choose not to even give my opponent the ball. 

You're totally right in your assessment, the other post trying to compare the situations is plain dumb. 

Same situation as Jamal sitting down at the 2 on MNF. Stafford down 5-6 with 1:20 left presents a greater chance for defeat than the odds Crosby misses a 21 yard FG.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

1. Javon Kinlaw DL South Carolina

2. Sam Cosmi OT Texas

3.Devonta Smith WR Alabama 

4. Jordyn Brooks ILB Texas Tech 

something like this sounds good rn

If Kinlaw slides down that far. I'm leaning Raekwon Davis over Kinlaw though. Cosmi's a bit of a late bloomer and possibly could be had in the 3rd. Tape looks really good though.

So please take my thoughts with lots of salt--or maybe with lots of Stella--because I am utterly new to this forum and mock drafts. But I do have a developing passion for  it. First, I believe Rodjahs12 has put the spotlight on a critical need that has emerged in recent games with our d-line. We need somebody big besides Kenny Clark in the middle of pits to stop the run. I would like to believe we could find a big guy later than Round One, but who knows? Any thoughts on Quinton Bohanna, a d-tackle from Kentucky? He's listed at 6-4 and 340. Even if he is only a two down player, a run plugging tackle to play alongside or to spell Clark might be a good move. Maybe something the same for the o-line?--take an emerging talent in Round One (Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn, 6-7, 301) and look at a second o-lineman Rounds Four, Five and/or Six? Scott Franz, OT, Kansas State, 6-5, 293 on face value looks like a Sam Cosmi--a little light in the weight category but shows some promise. Am I way off base on with these thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

So please take my thoughts with lots of salt--or maybe with lots of Stella--because I am utterly new to this forum and mock drafts. But I do have a developing passion for  it. First, I believe Rodjahs12 has put the spotlight on a critical need that has emerged in recent games with our d-line. We need somebody big besides Kenny Clark in the middle of pits to stop the run. I would like to believe we could find a big guy later than Round One, but who knows? Any thoughts on Quinton Bohanna, a d-tackle from Kentucky? He's listed at 6-4 and 340. Even if he is only a two down player, a run plugging tackle to play alongside or to spell Clark might be a good move. Maybe something the same for the o-line?--take an emerging talent in Round One (Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn, 6-7, 301) and look at a second o-lineman Rounds Four, Five and/or Six? Scott Franz, OT, Kansas State, 6-5, 293 on face value looks like a Sam Cosmi--a little light in the weight category but shows some promise. Am I way off base on with these thoughts?

OT is the easiest first round projection for this team by a mile. 

This team doesn't need another run plug. It needs a legitimate 3 and 5

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Bohanna is way too big (I've seen him listed at 360+).  Huge guys like him and Tedarrell Slaton (Florida) 6'5", 343 and Naguan Jones (Michigan St.) 6'4", 339, are best avoided.

Guys who are much over 320 seldom turn out well (especially in the modern game) because once you get over that weight, you get knee and ankle issues to go with poor cardio. One thing I have noticed over the years is that the big DT/NT types have become better athletes than in the past, when bulk counted for more.

DT/NTs who are a more modest size (assuming their listed weights are still close to what is listed) include:

Rashard Lawrence (LSU) 6'3", 317
Leki Fotu (Utah) 6'5", 323
Jordan Elliott (Missouri) 6'4", 315
Marvin Wilson (Florida St.) 6'5", 317
Raekwon Davis (Alabama) 6'6", 316 (probably gone just before the Packers first pick)
Benito Jones (Ole Miss) 6'1", 329, is about as big as I'd ever like to go, and I'd rather see him at 320.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OT is the easiest first round projection for this team by a mile. 

This team doesn't need another run plug. It needs a legitimate 3 and 5

The Smiths are played as 5-techs all the time as is Gary. Our issue is at the 3-tech by a mile. OT's tend to slide down the board while DL tend to rise. I'd go DL in the 1st and OT in the 2nd unless Trey Adams falls to 23 or wherever we're picking in the early 20's.

8 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Well welcome to the forum and your take isn't bad at all. Some of those guys you mentioned are 2nd round talent at this point in the game but could rise. Cosmi's been mentioned but PTW and Franz haven't been discussed. Check out www.drafttek.com, www.walterfootball.com, and check out the NFL draft section on CBS's site. Those are all helpful links that many of us use when researching the topic.