2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

I thought about that too, but it goes back to the slot receiver. Who will that be.........

EQ

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

What will happen between now and the end of the year.......

EQ's gonna kick ^^^

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

Personally, I think we're in a good spot.......

Because of EQ

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think someone with polished footwork like MVS could possibly slide into that roll........

Along with EQ who's gonna kick ^^^

33 minutes ago, Joe said:

We're all looking for......

AR to throw the ball to EQ and let him do his thing  :)

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I thought about that too, but it goes back to the slot receiver. Who will that be and what will happen between now and the end of the year. Personally, I think we're in a good spot despite no clear slot guy. I think someone with polished footwork like MVS could possibly slide into that roll. We're all looking for short, speedy guys but IIRC Jordy was 6-3 and became the best slot receiver in the league for a few years. *shrug*

Going to come down to the development of the young guys and Allison, who's a UFA next year.  IF the sophmores aren't the game changing super stars that some on this board make them out to be then WR becomes one of our biggest needs.  

I don't see MVS being viable option in the slot.  I think he's a piss poor route runner who offers very little outside of running fast in a straight line.  

I actually prefer size in the slot but Jordy Nelson's don't fall off trees.  I wanted to keep him instead of Cobb last year because of his play in the slot down the stretch in 2016.  

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

Going to come down to the development of the young guys and Allison, who's a UFA next year.  IF the sophmores aren't the game changing super stars that some on this board make them out to be then WR becomes one of our biggest needs.  

I don't see MVS being viable option in the slot.  I think he's a piss poor route runner who offers very little outside of running fast in a straight line.  

I actually prefer size in the slot but Jordy Nelson's don't fall off trees.  I wanted to keep him instead of Cobb last year because of his play in the slot down the stretch in 2016.  

I dont know if anyone has put forth the notion that the sophomores will be "game changing superstars". We already have one of those, how many do we need? We just need them to play their roles as #2's. If one of the young guys wants to really break out that's cool too.

The main Packer free agents after the 2019 season.

Mike Daniels, Bryan Bulaga, Kyler Fackrell, Geronimo Allison, Mason Crosby, Marcedes Lewis, Dean Lowry, Jason Spriggs.  Of those eight, I'd expect three or less to be kept. They include any of Daniels, Bulaga, Lowry and Fackrell, which depends on how the numbers work, plus Allison if last years rookies don't all make a big jump. So at least five of those, maybe even six or seven, are gone and must be replaced. I'm guessing Jimmy Graham (production vs salary) and Tramon Williams (age) are gone, as well.

Part of that replacement has already happened with this years draftees UDFAs and veteran FAs, but some positions  could be projected to be a high priority.
RT, TE, ILB are three likely spots. WR might be a priority as well, depending on how last years three rookies get on, in year two. If both Daniels AND Lowry are not retained, DL is also possible, I think the Packers could stand the loss of one without replacement, but that is a lot of snaps to make up if both go. Montravius Adams taking a big jump would help, but the Packers like to take DLs early, and might next year. CB is also possible, despite how many high picks have been used on DBs in the past five years.

So main draft position candidates, are RT, TE, ILB, WR, DL, CB. This is subject to, on one side of the coin injuries that create a need elsewhere and on the flip side, breakouts that minimise a need (like for example if guys like Tony Brown, Oren Burks, Josh Jones, Montravius Adams, MVS, ESB, take a big jump) You can add a kicker to the list if Crosby is gone.

As is almost always the case, enough needs to give the Packers several options when draft day finally rolls around in 2020. For me it is still just a bit early for Rodgers replacement to be drafted, but next year is perhaps the first year they should start planning ahead for a starter-level QB, maybe position themselves to get multiple first round picks again, in the year when 'their guy' becomes available. Ideally, you never start your rookie QB in the year you get him. Waiting, like Rodgers waited,  allows him to improve a great deal, before he sees the field in a real NFL game.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

37 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I dont know if anyone has put forth the notion that the sophomores will be "game changing superstars". We already have one of those, how many do we need? We just need them to play their roles as #2's. If one of the young guys wants to really break out that's cool too.

I  think this offense needs at least 2 really good WRs and a dependable #3 to get this offense back to being Super Bowl caliber.  The last time we had the best offense in the NFL Aaron Rodgers had 2 pro bowl caliber WRs and a high end rookie WR (Adams).  That was the closest we got to a Super Bowl since 2010 and the last time AR12 won a MVP.  

People can talk about plugging just any warm bodied plus athlete into the WR core and making it work but we absolutely do not have our last Super Bowl without that GREAT group of WRs.  

Edited by SSG

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I  think this offense needs at least 2 really good WRs and a dependable #3 to get this offense back to being Super Bowl caliber.  The last time we had the best offense in the NFL Aaron Rodgers had 2 pro bowl caliber WRs and a high end rookie WR (Adams).  That was the closest we got to a Super Bowl since 2010 and the last time AR12 won a MVP.  

People can talk about plugging just any warm bodied plus athlete into the WR core and making it work but we absolutely do not have our last Super Bowl without that GREAT group of WRs.  

But look, you just identified 2 young unproven WRs in those groups. Jordy Nelson was a 2nd year and a 2nd round pick in Adam's. That's part of this whole football thing is development. Allison is the dependable 3. So, again, I believe that we just need the young guys to play the #2 role well or some combination that adds up to that. 

Don't sleep on Moore either.  Yes he didn't see the field in his rookie season but the guy has talent.  He might be a pleasant surprise this year.  Shake and bake he has it just has to get his head screwed on straight.  Reminds me of a bigger Adams.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Lol dude always says that stuff. You could put forth the idea that Martinez is decent and he'd respond that "if he doesn't turn into the mega talented all pro hall of famer you guys make him out to be......."

It's really quite ridiculous and tiresome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

But look, you just identified 2 young unproven WRs in those groups. Jordy Nelson was a 2nd year and a 2nd round pick in Adam's. That's part of this whole football thing is development. Allison is the dependable 3. So, again, I believe that we just need the young guys to play the #2 role well or some combination that adds up to that. 

Having a young unproven WR as your #3 or #4 is substantially different than having one as your second option.  

In 2014 we had 2 pro bowl/ all pro caliber WRs which allowed us to have a less experienced #3.  Even then Adams was an elite college WR and a high end prospect.  Not like he was a bottom of the barrel draft prospect who was a mediocre college WR.  Moore was BY FAR the best of the 3 in college and he didn't have a snap of regular season football last year where he looked like he belonged in the NFL.

In 2010 we had an all pro caliber WR in Jennings, a former pro bowler in Driver, one of the best #3's in the league in Jones and Jordy Nelson who was a 3rd year pro.  

Allison has 750 yards receiving in his 3 year career.  It's premature IMO to call him dependable #3 for a good or great offense.  

Our WR core was terrible last year and a large reason why our offense was not good enough to even make the playoffs muchness compete in them.  We're going into next year with less talent at WR.  If we get the same sort of play from our WR core we can expect the streak of watching the playoffs from home to continue.  IMO this is pretty easily the least talented group of WRs we've had since we drafted AR12.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Don't sleep on Moore either.  Yes he didn't see the field in his rookie season but the guy has talent.  He might be a pleasant surprise this year.  Shake and bake he has it just has to get his head screwed on straight.  Reminds me of a bigger Adams.

What in Moore last year reminded you of Adams?  He was passed on the depth chart by every single WR we rostered.  James Kumerow, who needed 4 years in the NFL before he was able to make a roster, passed him like he was standing still.  If career practice squad WRs are that much more talented than Moore, I'm not sure how you could be reminded of Adams who had moments of greatness in his rookie year.  

36 minutes ago, SSG said:

Having a young unproven WR as your #3 or #4 is substantially different than having one as your second option.   

Are you really talking about WRs?

If you recall, you said Adams was a bust during his 2nd season- how'd that work out for ya?

LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Yeah, his quickness in out of his breaks is very good.

If you want to know what that Gute thinks about the Packers' WRs, just look at what he didn't do... He didn't sign or draft a WR. That tells ya what what the team thinks of young guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSG said:

In 2014 we had 2 pro bowl/ all pro caliber WRs which allowed us to have a less experienced #3.  Even then Adams was an elite college WR and a high end prospect.  Not like he was a bottom of the barrel draft prospect who was a mediocre college WR.  Moore was BY FAR the best of the 3 in college and he didn't have a snap of regular season football last year where he looked like he belonged in the NFL.

In 2010 we had an all pro caliber WR in Jennings, a former pro bowler in Driver, one of the best #3's in the league in Jones and Jordy Nelson who was a 3rd year pro.  

Allison has 750 yards receiving in his 3 year career.  It's premature IMO to call him dependable #3 for a good or great offense.  

Our WR core was terrible last year and a large reason why our offense was not good enough to even make the playoffs muchness compete in them.  We're going into next year with less talent at WR.  If we get the same sort of play from our WR core we can expect the streak of watching the playoffs from home to continue.  IMO this is pretty easily the least talented group of WRs we've had since w

Jordy going into 2010 had only 680 receiving yards and 4 TD's he only added 580 and 2 TD's Super bowl year.  Donald Driver added 560 and 4 TDs in 2010. Jones contributed 680 and 5 TD's. Between Allison and the 3 young guys I think they Definitely have a shot at replacing that production.

I feel like you're using name recognition more than what actually happened. MVS produced this year what Jordy did in 2010, you're obviously overrating or underrating one of those players. I think asking Allison to contribute Jones' amount isn't out of this world. So if we're comparing 2010 to the level we need to be at do you think it would be THAT difficult to replicate the production Driver put out that year?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SSG said:

What in Moore last year reminded you of Adams?  He was passed on the depth chart by every single WR we rostered.  James Kumerow, who needed 4 years in the NFL before he was able to make a roster, passed him like he was standing still.  If career practice squad WRs are that much more talented than Moore, I'm not sure how you could be reminded of Adams who had moments of greatness in his rookie year.  

He is shifty.  Moves like Adams.  I'll remind you about all those who labeled Adams a bust too.  Tough rookie season no doubt.  New coach new system.  Personally I still believe the kid has a lot of talent.  What are you saying he's a bust after one year?  Wonder what you had to say about Fackrell.  Defended him too said the kid can bend.  Many on this board labeled him a bust as well.  Try looking at the glass half full once in awhile.  The Packers drafted him for a reason.

• Like 1