What teams will be QB hunting in next years draft

brushmyhair

ill throw the jags in.  foles is already 30  and turning 31 in janurary and has really just been an average QB and most guranteed money runs out after 2 years so potentially could look at a qb if 1 falls to us unexpectedly or if we pick super early potentially.  

apparently we were looking at both Hockenson and Jonah williams until the "good" josh allen fell into our laps unexpectedly and the rumor is they were leaning towards taking hockenson. 

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

ill throw the jags in.  foles is already 30  and turning 31 in janurary and has really just been an average QB and most guranteed money runs out after 2 years so potentially could look at a qb if 1 falls to us unexpectedly or if we pick super early potentially.  

apparently we were looking at both Hockenson and Jonah williams until the "good" josh allen fell into our laps unexpectedly and the rumor is they were leaning towards taking hockenson. 

I be less willing to throw the Jags in for Foles' age (this is a QB we're talking about, 30 isn't the cut-off for them that it is for a lot of other players; good QB's regularly play into their mid-30's at minimum), and more over that we've never really seen Foles have success to write home about outside of Philadelphia.  That division isn't a cakewalk.  And I don't just think "making the playoffs" is going to be the expectation with the kind of scratch you guys gave him.  He's got 2 (?, I believe that's the payout schedule for the bulk of the guaranteed money you guys gave him) seasons to get you guys, IMO, at least back to the Conference Championship game, and if he doesn't get you to a point where that at least looks like a better-than-even chance of happening in year two - I don't see Gardner Minshew being the sort of quarterback that's going to dissuade you guys from passing on a prospect with the potential to be a franchise QB if you're in a position to get one.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I be less willing to throw the Jags in for Foles' age (this is a QB we're talking about, 30 isn't the cut-off for them that it is for a lot of other players; good QB's regularly play into their mid-30's at minimum), and more over that we've never really seen Foles have success to write home about outside of Philadelphia.  That division isn't a cakewalk.  And I don't just think "making the playoffs" is going to be the expectation with the kind of scratch you guys gave him.  He's got 2 (?, I believe that's the payout schedule for the bulk of the guaranteed money you guys gave him) seasons to get you guys, IMO, at least back to the Conference Championship game, and if he doesn't get you to a point where that at least looks like a better-than-even chance of happening in year two - I don't see Gardner Minshew being the sort of quarterback that's going to dissuade you guys from passing on a prospect with the potential to be a franchise QB if you're in a position to get one.

it really depends where we end up picking at.  could be  like taking BPA at a future need like we did with Tavern Bryan in the 2018 draft.  that pick was pretty close to bpa and was a future need as we had to cut some guys.  

foles age has a lil to do with it but more its towards his average QB play and his salary becoming mostly unguranteed by 2020 and we are gonna be needing to be creative to keep salary room to be able to resign key guys soon like Ramsey, Ngakoue,  Westbrook at the top of my list.    we just in a tighter spot in the cap situation then what we should be because of the foolish Blake extension coughlin gave out. 

we have a few easy cuts to make cap wise like Dareus and his 20 million ungurantteed salary with only 2.5 dead but we definitely are in a rougher spot in the salary business and saving money at qb is arguebly the best way to build a team up. 

Carr, Dalton, Winston & Mariota are in make-it-or-break it years.  I do think Winston will be fine with Arians.  The rest, I have no confidence in and their backups to cement their role.

I'd also point out that Lock & Jones will likely have enough leash for their teams to not go looking, but I wouldn't say it's set in stone beyond 2021's draft.  But for 2020, it's hard to see a Murray/Rosen redux. 

The big X-factor is age-related or injury-related decline.  No one was crazy about Alex Smith in WAS, but no one foresaw that situation unfold.   Pick a team with an awful pass protection unit, and there's likely 1, if not 2 teams suddenly very interested.

Add it up, I don't worry about how many teams are looking.  If a guy is good enough, teams will make him their franchise talent.  It's the opposite problem that's way more prevalent IMO (teams reaching for talent that aren't 1st-round guys).

11 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think the Patriots will trade up for a QB next year but they won't suck or tank for that matter (Lawrence).

The only way Lawrence doesn't go #1 in 2021 is if Seattle, or Indianapolis are picking 1st, but Lawrence will go 1st because those 2 teams would trade out of that 1 spot. If either of them get the 1st pick in 2021, they'll trade out of that pick for the most massive trade haul we have ever seen since Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams 

Edited by brushmyhair

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I dont think his age is much of a factor since hasnt been hit like an 8 year starter 

If Foles plays like a Top-15 QB or so they probably wont look that way much higher than they did this year but if he is like he was with the Rams we absolutely will be looking early next year 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

The only way Lawrence doesn't go #1 in 2021 is if Seattle, or Indianapolis are picking 1st, but Lawrence will go 1st because those 2 teams would trade out of that 1 spot. If either of them get the 1st pick in 2021, they'll trade out of that pick for the most massive trade haul we have ever seen since Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams 

They would pick him as well because if those teams end up at #1 their starter had a serious injury and is in his 30s. Passing on a GOAT talent would be crazy.

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

They would pick him as well because if those teams end up at #1 their starter had a serious injury and is in his 30s. Passing on a GOAT talent would be crazy.

Depends on the kind of injury. If Seattle's defense is the reason they pick 1st, what then?

Look, my point is that a pick haul for a non qb needy team in the Lawrence draft will be an insane haul. 

Most likely, it'll be a qb needy team in 2021.

I'm looking at the Cardinals, Steelers, Cowboys, and potentially the saints if brees retires before then. Ravens are another in 2021 if Jackson hasn't panned out. I'm not putting the bolts in there because their roster is so loaded barring a Rivers injury, they are bound for success 

41 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

Depends on the kind of injury. If Seattle's defense is the reason they pick 1st, what then?

Look, my point is that a pick haul for a non qb needy team in the Lawrence draft will be an insane haul. 

Most likely, it'll be a qb needy team in 2021.

I'm looking at the Cardinals, Steelers, Cowboys, and potentially the saints if brees retires before then. Ravens are another in 2021 if Jackson hasn't panned out. I'm not putting the bolts in there because their roster is so loaded barring a Rivers injury, they are bound for success 

It won't be.

There will be some teams who tank hard. 

Wilson and Luck are elite QBs. The worst you can do with elite QBs is 6 wins and a team with 2-3 wins will pick 1st.

It would be an insane haul but I can't see any scenario where the pick will be traded. 

To get TL on your team you need suck in 2020 and be the worst team in football.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It won't be.

There will be some teams who tank hard. 

Wilson and Luck are elite QBs. The worst you can do with elite QBs is 6 wins and a team with 2-3 wins will pick 1st.

It would be an insane haul but I can't see any scenario where the pick will be traded. 

To get TL on your team you need suck in 2020 and be the worst team in football.

There will be teams that try to tank for him, but the Cardinals I think will suck enough to get him or Ben will get injured in Pittsburgh or he'll stink it up.

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think his age is much of a factor since hasnt been hit like an 8 year starter 

If Foles plays like a Top-15 QB or so they probably wont look that way much higher than they did this year but if he is like he was with the Rams we absolutely will be looking early next year 

Yeah.  Whether or not the Jaguars might be looking QB early next year probably hinges mostly on whether the Foles experiment sinks or swims.  If the team does well with Foles and gets back to the playoffs, he's not young, but young enough that they should be able to get at least a couple more years out of him before talking about replacement.  If the Foles thing goes sideways and the Jaguars are picking Top-10 again next year though...i think QB could be on the table early.

Though the caveat to that, is if the Foles thing goes terribly and the team still stinks...i think there's a high likelihood we're looking at a major housecleaning and very different staff coming in.  In which case, it's impossible to say if they'd be the type who want to bring in "their guy" right away to put their stamp on the team...or if they'd be more inclined to tank out another year and try to rebuild that way with the QB room they inherited and wait until 2021 to tie themselves to a QB.