What teams will be QB hunting in next years draft

brushmyhair

19 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think his age is much of a factor since hasnt been hit like an 8 year starter 

If Foles plays like a Top-15 QB or so they probably wont look that way much higher than they did this year but if he is like he was with the Rams we absolutely will be looking early next year 

im expecting average QB play at best. im expecting to see more rams version cuz out offensive talent or lack of it is very offensive. 

make-or-break year for mariota. if the titans miss the playoffs i would imagine it would be due to another injury-plagued and/or mediocre year, in which case i'm sure they'll be in the market for a QB.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

make-or-break year for mariota. if the titans miss the playoffs i would imagine it would be due to another injury-plagued and/or mediocre year, in which case i'm sure they'll be in the market for a QB.

The problem for the Titans is Mariota is too good, and the team around him is too good, for them to bottom out with him at the helm. I mean, I've never been an MM fan, but he's not that bad. But at his worst, with that team, it's quarterback purgatory. They aren't going to finish low enough to draft the preeminent quarterback in the draft next year (whomever that may be). They may just have to keep going with MM for the immediate future. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem for the Titans is Mariota is too good, and the team around him is too good, for them to bottom out with him at the helm. I mean, I've never been an MM fan, but he's not that bad. But at his worst, with that team, it's quarterback purgatory. They aren't going to finish low enough to draft the preeminent quarterback in the draft next year (whomever that may be). They may just have to keep going with MM for the immediate future. 

Is he even in that purgatory level though? I feel like you can definitely do better than a healthy Mariota and the issue is he rarely seems healthy so that even pushes him down farther 

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is he even in that purgatory level though? I feel like you can definitely do better than a healthy Mariota and the issue is he rarely seems healthy so that even pushes him down farther 

Purgatory level is a wide range. He's Nate Peterman level of awful or anything, but with the rest of the team around him, I don't think that team itself can bottom out with him at the helm. 

Just now, Forge said:

Purgatory level is a wide range. He's Nate Peterman level of awful or anything, but with the rest of the team around him, I don't think that team itself can bottom out with him at the helm. 

I think he's Alex Smith level - good enough to win at a .500 clip, but not good enough to carry a team on its own if called upon. Switching to another OC isn't going to help, either. 

A change of scenery with a steady OC could turn his trajectory around, but he's also got a considerable health issue to be mindful of, anyone looking to get him back on track has to keep that in mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I think he's Alex Smith level - good enough to win at a .500 clip, but not good enough to carry a team on its own if called upon. Switching to another OC isn't going to help, either. 

A change of scenery with a steady OC could turn his trajectory around, but he's also got a considerable health issue to be mindful of, anyone looking to get him back on track has to keep that in mind.

Could very easily see Alex Smith there, and they do have quite a few things in common.

Smith barely looked like a serviceable starter year 5, really didn't become one until year 7, and didn't become a guy that could sometimes be a good quarterback until year 8. But if the titans want to move on from MM, which I absolutely would not blame them for, I think that they are going to have a harder time of doing that they think. Better quarterbacks typically aren't going to be available in trade or free agency. Andy Dalton could be out there. Derek Carr at some point a year down the road. These are people that you could certainly prefer over MM, but I don't know that they are actual improvements (and if they are, they are pretty marginal improvements). MM and that team will not draft low enough to grab a stud quarterback. Honestly, even if MM gets hurt, it's not that big of a loss..some people would argue that Tannehill is better, and if it's not, that's pretty much a lateral move as well lol. And that's about as perfect an example as you can ask for with what the Titans are looking at - Tannehill isn't great, the team around him has rarely been great, yet he's never won fewer than 6 games in a full season. He was never going to be a quarterback that the Dolphins could just up and improve on without some good fortune or longer term planning

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

His early career start is also very reminiscent of Smith's. He's going on his 5th OC in his first 5 years. MM may never have been "great/elite", but he's definitely not being set up for success either with this method.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

i think the thing we have going for us is that the team as a whole is in a pretty good spot talent-wise and we could afford to trade up for a QB. obviously that's dependent on how the draft class shakes out, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Tennessee, Tampa, Oakland, Cincinnati, and maybe Baltimore and Jacksonville. Teams like NO, LAC, NE are all possibilities depending on if their aging QBs retire or not.

Definitely a make-or-break year for Mariota. He's been very inconsistent and I wouldn't even say he's particularly great even when he's at his best. There's enough talent on that team for them to be perennial playoff contenders, but it seems to me that Mariota holds them back a bit.

If Arians can't get the best out of Winston, then I don't think anyone can. I'm very interested to see how he develops this year.

Cincinnati did take Finley, but that was a fourth round pick. If they have a bad year and a top-notch QB is there for the taking, then they could pull the trigger.

Carr wasn't bad last year from what I saw, but he hasn't taken the next step like I once thought he would. He needs to have a pretty good season to keep his position as the starting QB for the Raiders.

I doubt Baltimore and Jacksonville will be looking at QBs next year, but it's possible. I just kind of doubt either team will be looking for one in the first round. It all depends on how Jackson develops this year and how Foles plays. I just don't expect Foles to be anything great for the Jaguars, but hopefully he'll at least be solid for them.

Teams that could because of aging QBs

Patriots 

Saints 

Steelers

Chargers 

Packers 

Teams with QBs on the “Hot Seat”

Buccaneers 

Titians 

Bengals 

Raiders 

Jacksonville (Sorta) 

Teams that could be a little bit of a surprise 

Cowboys (If Dak has a terrible season)

Vikings 

Lions 

Now I don’t expect all these teams to be looking for a QB early next draft, but around 4-5 seems realistic