Bears 2019 UDFAs

WindyCity

Offense

Emanuel Hall, (6’2”, 201), WR, Missouri (link) Another speedster with a 4.39 40

Thomas Ives (6’5”, 215), WR, Colgate (link) A 4.48 in the 40 at his pro day

Ian Bunting (6’7”, 255), TE, University of California (link) Former Michigan TE who transferred to Cal - I guess he likes dark blue and gold - EJ

Dax Raymond (6’5”, 255), TE, Utah State (link)

Ellis Richardson (6’3”, 240), TE, Georgia Southern (link)

Alex Bars (6’6”, 312), OG, Notre Dame (link) Injuries hurt Bars’ draft stock

Blake Blackmar (6’5”, 326), OG, Baylor (link)

Marquez Tucker (6’1”, 300), OG, Utah (link)

Joe Lowery (6’7”, 305), OL, Ohio University (link)

Sam Mustipher (6’3”, 306), C, Notre Dame (link)

Defense

Mathieu Betts (6’3”, 250), DL, Laval Rouge et Or of U Sports (link)

Jonathan Harris (6’4”, 285), DL, Lindenwood (link)

Lawrence Marshall (6’4”, 285), DL, Michigan (link)

Dylan Carroll (6’5”, 245), DE, Grand Valley State (link)

Chuck Harris (6’3”, 265), DE, Buffalo (link)

Clifton Duck (5’10”, 170), CB, Appalachian State (link)

Adarius Pickett (5’, 11”, 198), DB, UCLA (link)

Joshua Simmons (6’3”, 205), DB, Limestone College (link) - Has familiarity with Mike Furrey, who was Limestone’s head coach for two years ~ Sam Householder

Jordan Powell (6’1”, 190), S, Widener University (link)

Special Teams

John Baron II (5’11”, 190), K, SDSU (link) Baron was 17 of 22 on field goals with a long of 54 (5 of 5 beyond 50)

John Wirtel (6’3”, 216), LS, Kansas (link)

Bears Rookie Camp Invites
Offense

Chris James (5’10”, 222), RB, Wisconsin (link)

Spencer Schnell (5’9”, 190), WR, Illinois State (link)

Ron’quavion Tarver (6’3”, 216), WR, Utah State (link) He popped more than once on the Darwin Thompson film I watched - made my notes by making big catches in traffic - EJ

Joe Walker (6’3”, 205), WR, Delaware (link) Played QB until 2018 when he moved to WR

Tommy Doles (6’4”, 292), OL, Northwestern (link)

Defense

Quentin Moon (6’2”, 232), LB, Western Illinois (link)

Zuril Hendrick (6’1”, 188), CB, Edinboro (link)

Doyin Jibowu (6’2”, 200), DB, Fort Hays State (link)

Special Teams

Casey Bednarski (6’1”, 215), K/P, Minnesota State-Mankato (link) ~ 55/71 on FGs and averaged 40 yards per punt the past two years ~ Sam Householder

Emmit Carpenter (6’, 200), K, Minnesota (link) He was 17 of 23 on FGs with a long of 53

Alex Kjellsten (5’9”, 175), P, McNeese State (link)

• Like 1

The Bears did very well in UDFA, which is probably due to the fact that they could invest more time in the backend of the draft after not having high picks.

WR Emmanual Hall
TE Dax Raymond
OG Alex Bars

All 3 of these guys in my opinion could make the team or be stashed on IR.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is what I think happens at WR

Robinson

Gabriel

Miller

Ridley

Patterson

Wims

Marvin Hall-Practice Roster

Emmanuel Hall-Injured Reserve [stashed]

I think PS and IR spots are up for grabs. I don't see anyone beating out those 6 if 6 is the number.  

We exchanged Ridley and Patterson for Bellamy and White.

Wims and Miller will be 2nd year players now.

Patterson is a scarier weapon on ST and offense by several orders of magnitude over Bellamy. We lose Bellamy on coverage teams, but frankly so what.  

Ridley can run routes where White couldn't. 

Patterson can provide take top off factor if Gabriel gets hurt.

Really a nice group of 6. One of best in NFL IMO.

I watched Dax Raymod.  

He is a big WR basically.  Can't block.  Gives good effort though.

Does okay in a crowd near LOS.  Open field he often kind of lightly pushes people or just runs around the field swinging his arms and doing nothing. Like he is lost.  Hey there's a guy right there and there. Pick closest one and hit him!  

He doesnt have a base. He doesnt gather his hips and deliver a blow.  Like a boxer who punches with just his arms. I saw safeties bully him more than once.  Safeties. 

I can see why he went undrafted. 

I will say he has a good running stride and has good hands and runs decent routes.  His lack of physicality is a major concern for me though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is what I think happens at WR

Robinson

Gabriel

Miller

Ridley

Patterson

Wims

Marvin Hall-Practice Roster

Emmanuel Hall-Injured Reserve [stashed]

Yeah,  Hall is gonna need to learn an NFL route tree and be more than just big and fast if he wants to play in this offense.

I'm lookin' at both Halls as possible replacements for Gabriel if he becomes a cap casualty.

It's likely we'll only keep 3 TEs and stash one on the PS for emergency which gives Nagy room to keep 6 WRs.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Yeah,  Hall is gonna need to learn an NFL route tree and be more than just big and fast if he wants to play in this offense.

I'm lookin' at both Halls as possible replacements for Gabriel if he becomes a cap casualty.

It's likely we'll only keep 3 TEs and stash one on the PS for emergency which gives Nagy room to keep 6 WRs.

We had 6 WR and 4 TE for all of last year, so nothing is "likely"

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

We had 6 WR and 4 TE for all of last year, so nothing is "likely"

I guess I'm doubtful of a rookie UDFA TE making the final cut as opposed to being signed to the PS.

I'd be less concerned with exposing a kid like Dax Raymond or another UDFA TE to waivers than I would one of our WR.  Or it could be a player at another position.  It's a preliminary opinion not gospel truth and so stated.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

We had lots of comments on these guys in other threads, can’t find them all so I’ll just use this one.

A lot of us, including me, thought Hall was going to IR for next year given his recent hernia surgery, but they booted him pretty much sight unseen.  Not sure we know whole story on that one. 

A lot thought Dax was going to emerge at potentially our weakest position, but Ian came out of nowhere and took that role.  Ian probably still won’t make 53 IMO, but will probably make PS. Dax has been MIA.

Betts got a lot of media hype, but no one here was ever that high on him.  I think he could play if he actually lifted weights for many years like an American player.  He clearly hasn’t done so.  

Best of UDFAs is and has been Bars.  Extra impressive as he is coming off ACL and has been banged up in camp.  He hasn’t been great, but definitely has shown potential.  Like Robinson this year this could be a guy that makes a big jump next year.   He has real good shot to make 53.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

I recall Gilbride having some praise for Bunting as they came off OTAs.  It seemed he was the top ranked rookie at that point and has kept his spot over the others.

I'd like to know more about the Emmanuel Hall story too.  He got hit with that rap of not wanting to play unless he was 100% healthy so was he cleared to play in camp and hesitated?  Or was there more wrong than we were ever told?  Was it TB who scooped him up?  Guess we'll see if he's on their roster or PS once the season starts.  Sure was an abrupt departure though.

Betts has always looked to me like another Shea McClellin.  He's got all kinds of quickness but a bad NFL body.  Maybe he ends up on the PS or if no one claims him we can sign him to a futures contract after the season but he's got his work cut out for him if he wants to play in the NFL.

Good to hear about Bars.  Having been one of Harry H's guys at ND it made sense to sign him.  I think his loyalty to Harry and his drive will push him enough that we may have another OG who can start once Kyle Long is no more.

Raymond got significant praise from Kreutz for his blocking on Twitter this week. That’s been a problem area for Bunting thus far. The role they see for that roster spot (backup for Burton or Shaheen) could be a factor should they choose to keep either on the 53. There were zero TE targets in the passing game last week. IMO at this stage if Bunting isn’t giving you anything in the passing game he isn’t giving you anything. That said, he’s been playing before Raymond, so who knows. I still personally think both end up on the PS and that we have no trouble getting each of them there. 

• Like 1