Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

6 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Sure. People that don't like wrestling will think wrestling is stupid. People that want to like wrestling, or don't know much about it would only think better of AEW with a rabid crowd. I can never imagine a hot crowd not benefiting a wrestling program. Even Bischoff when he was employed by WWE (or around that timeline) said the best thing about AEW is how engaged the crowd is and he's been critical that they haven't done enough to branch out and build their audience. 

So you didn't see the NBA Twitter responses, I take it.  It was a lot of "What the hell happened to Chris Jericho?"  "Who is this person that ate Chris Jericho?"  "Who are these skinny kids?"  An engaged crowd wouldn't have done a thing to win them over.  And these were people who knew who wrestlers were and had watched wrestling in the past.

A hot crowd that are marks for themselves - which is sadly what's become of PWG crowds (and this is coming from someone who went to Battle of LA for 4-5 years running) and the like.  Crowds that go into business for themselves and want to make themselves the show - as opposed to the talent they paid to see - are toxic and don't help the product.  And that's aren't my words, those come from one of the guys those folks have been so bitter that he hasn't been pushed the way they want: Cesaro.

Just now, The LBC said:

So you didn't see the NBA Twitter responses, I take it.  It was a lot of "What the hell happened to Chris Jericho?"  "Who is this person that ate Chris Jericho?"  "Who are these skinny kids?"  An engaged crowd wouldn't have done a thing to win them over.  And these were people who knew who wrestlers were and had watched wrestling in the past.

A hot crowd that are marks for themselves - which is sadly what's become of PWG crowds (and this is coming from someone who went to Battle of LA for 4-5 years running) and the like.  Crowds that go into business for themselves and want to make themselves the show - as opposed to the talent they paid to see - are toxic and don't help the product.  And that's aren't my words, those come from one of the guys those folks have been so bitter that he hasn't been pushed the way they want: Cesaro.

I was on NBA reddit that night with the Ben Carter dark match after a game and plenty of people were also complimentary and also made fun of Jericho. I mean, I truly don't think NBA twitter is a barometer for this conversation. You're being awfully black and white about it, don't think a hot crowd could ever not be a help. NBA twitter is pretty toxic, as are most secs of twitter in that regard. How much would it benefit AEW? I don't know. But let's not pretend like it wouldn't benefit them, an engaged crowd is essential for any wrestling show. 

I've been to the two biggest AEW shows and neither crowd went into business for themselves. Takeover Portland was much more like that than either Double or Nothing or All Out. I've never gotten that vibe from AEW crowds, to be honest. Not that there are many to look back on

worst dynamite i can remember. the wedding thing may've been the biggest dud they've ever had. stop putting kip sabian on tv. put miro in something else. they build this ******* wedding for like months and the pay off for the big spectacle is orange cassidy is in the cake and chuck (who's been a butler for TWO weeks) revolted. who gives a ****. unless chuck is a ******* butler for months there's ZERO payoff to whatever they were doing. thought for sure Miro was gonna turn because that would at least be a decent payoff i guess? what a waste of a program lol. nothing good came from a single moment of any of that **** the past couple months. 

stop using lance archer man he's just not good. 

battle royal was fine, was expecting more from the match, but whatever. right team won.

another bland sting promo. team taz is great though. 

rosa vs. baker was really solid, liked the booking. 

page/hardy v. chaos project was whatever, furthering the page can't trust anyone, not mad at it, it was purposeful at least.

main event was good. fenix was the ******* mvp of the show tonight, god damn he electric that whole match. and i guess it's pretty huge we're getting a new japan crossover in america, definitely opens that avenue, which is pretty hype. but i don't give a **** about mox vs. kenta even though twitter is hyping the **** out of it for some reason lol. 

whatever man rough show 

Wedding was flat to me as well. Kinda cringy and juvenile. I don't think Kip is national TV material.

Lance vs Eddie was okay. Kinda chaotic. Making Lance a face is an interesting choice. 

Britt vs Thunder was great. 

It's the Main Event that makes AEW fun. A guy like KENTA making an appearance. That's what makes it must see tv, and although it was a subpar show, the main event made the night. If NJPW is now apart of the working relationship with Impact and AEW, WOW.

Kenta debuts in AEW. 😮 That's awesome and it confirms at least some sort of agreement between both companies, which is a cool thing. Meltzer confirms to a degree that there is a bigger working relationship between both companies, even after the pandemic. Some plans indicate to a Ibushi vs. Omega Wrestle Kingdom Match. So we'll see what the future holds, but it sure sounds very interesting.

The participants of the AEW Women's World Championship Eliminator Tournament were announced as well. The rumours were confirmed. One part will takeplace in the US and one part will take place in Japan.

The participants on the US side:

• Serena Deeb

• Riho

• Britt Baker

• Tay Conti

• Thunder Rosa

• Nyla Rose

• Anna Jay

• Leyla Hirsch

The participants on the japanese side:

• Aja Kong

• Yuka Sakazaki

• Veny

• Emi Sakura

• Ryo Mizunami

• Mei Suruga

• Rin Kadokura

• Maki Itoh

So it seems there will be no surprise entrances, which is fine, as we get to see new and exciting joshi wrestlers. So for those unaware of them, let me say a few words to each of them:

Aja Kong: Most wrestling fans around the world should have heard of her. She worked a match at AEW on Double or Nothing 2019. A legend. 50 years old. AJW, GAEA legend. Currently signed to OZ Academy, but takes part in other promotions as well. Check out some stuff on Youtube. She was a tremendous performer in her best days. Nowadays she's not as good anymore, so i don't expect to much of her, but i think it's good to have a legend like her in the tournament. No chance to reach the final.

Yuka Sakazaki: I guess there is no need to talk about her. AEW fans know her. Together with Miyu Yama****a she's considered the best of TJPW. Great in-ring. Great character. I like her a lot. She was a longtime champion for TJPW and lost her title after a run of over a year in the beginning of this year. A favourite to win the japanese side and reach the final.

VENY: Also known as ASUKA (not that Asuka). 22 years old and already considered by most as one of the best Joshis in the business. I think she's also the first transgender wrestler in Japan. She's a Freelancer, but also wrestled already a tons of matches in DDT. She might be considered as a dark horse in this tournament. Ah btw. if you want to see her wrestle. Check out her match against Takumi Iroha (also a great performer) on youtube.

Emi Sakura: Just like Yuka, AEW fans should know her. The owner of Gatoh Move Pro Wrestling. 44 years old. Has done great things for the business in japan. Trained a lot of women, including Riho, Hikaru Shida, Mei Suruga, but will likely have no chance to reach the final.

Ryo Mizunami: Just like Aja Kong she was involved in a match at Double or Nothing 2019. 32 years old. Also a pretty good in-ring performer. Freelancer but often wrestles for SEAdLINNNG and can be sometimes seen for Gatoh Move as well. Probably also no realistic chance to reach the finals.

Mei Suruga: Just 21 years old and i think the youngest participant in the tournament. Is signed to Gatoh Move, but occasionally participates in TJPW. She's also pretty good in the ring. A potential candidate to reach the semi finals on the japanese side.

Rin Kadokura: 27 years old. Signed to Marvelous, but also able to be seen in other promotions, mainly Pro Wrestling WAVE. I haven't seen much of her. Saw her last year in Stardom in a tremendous 6-man Tag Team Match against Queens Quest with other Marvelous members. Probably not getting to far in this tournament.

Maki Ito: The Idol. 25 years old. Very good in-ring performer as well. Great character. Be ready, it could be wild. It was her wish to wrestle for AEW, so i'd recommend to keep an eye on her. She could be someone who will be shown regularely in AEW, once the pandemic is over. She wrestles in TJPW and also had some matches in their brother promotion DDT. Maki Ito is definitely a dark horse to win the japanese side as well.

Ofc. it would be awesome to get some Stardom talents, but they are exclusively signed to Stardom and as long as their is no deeper and probably years long partnership with NJPW or Bushiroad, there is almost no chance to get them over. TJPW seems to be interested in a partnership with AEW. Kenny Omega has the connections. With Emi Sakura there is a connection to Gatoh Move and Hikaru Shida should also have some connections to get Freelancer. Just like it has shown here. A good and stacked tournament and if the girls get enough time, it's their time to shine. I'm interested to see the building/stage and production they run in Japan. Hikaru Shida is a producer for the tournament and confirmed on twitter, that she's in Japan.

Edit: Here is the video btw.

Edited by Edge

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

battle royal was fine, was expecting more from the match, but whatever. right team won.

I agree with the rest. But that was the worst battle royal in royal history. I just commented yesterday that with a live crowd. AEW would double cheap phony spots like diving into guys standing around waiting to catch someone. And they had a good 4 or 5 that one match. Everything they did looked so staged and rehearsed. Which goes for mostf BRs, but that one especially.

Wasnt as high on the ME as you. The noselling killed it. Like Kenny hitting the Vtrigger and Mox pops up unaffected whatsoever for a clothesline. Kenny should have had the upper hand there for a small flurry while Mox got his head together. Then Kenny goes for another VT and gets clotheslined.

Rosa Baker was the match of the night. Better than any match the men have put on in weeks. Kudos to the ladies.

6 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I was on NBA reddit that night with the Ben Carter dark match after a game and plenty of people were also complimentary and also made fun of Jericho. I mean, I truly don't think NBA twitter is a barometer for this conversation. You're being awfully black and white about it, don't think a hot crowd could ever not be a help. NBA twitter is pretty toxic, as are most secs of twitter in that regard. How much would it benefit AEW? I don't know. But let's not pretend like it wouldn't benefit them, an engaged crowd is essential for any wrestling show. 

I've been to the two biggest AEW shows and neither crowd went into business for themselves. Takeover Portland was much more like that than either Double or Nothing or All Out. I've never gotten that vibe from AEW crowds, to be honest. Not that there are many to look back on

lol picking and choosing.

LBC is right. It isnt just American bouncy ball fans. Its everywhere, thats just a sample. Same thing Ive been saying, same thing 300k Cornette and other pod cast listeners have been saying.

AEW has selected the crowd they want supporting them. Just like Mark Cuban said about that bouncy ball garbage as ratings were collapsing, "We have watching exactly who we want to watch."

I dont know how you can defend otherwise. When youre the very one saying you dont want wrestling to widen its appeal to the masses. You want it to appeal to you.

I thought last night was a decent AEW show, i loved the ME and i liked rosa vs britt the rest was just there for me, the battle royal was just ok lots of really quick elims which made sense considering the amount of people in the ring but just wasnt that great.

Kenta and omega vs mox and archer should be really really good.

Last weeks show blew this one out of the water but the main event this week saved the show

6 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

they started listing those stardom talents i got my hopes up for jamie hayter 

Actually nobody of the girls is signed with Stardom. Stardom uses their talents exclusively, so it was unrealistic to see any of them join the tournament.

Jamie Hayter is also not wrestling for Stardom at the moment, as she's not in Japan, but in Britain.

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

lol picking and choosing.

LBC is right. It isnt just American bouncy ball fans. Its everywhere, thats just a sample. Same thing Ive been saying, same thing 300k Cornette and other pod cast listeners have been saying.

AEW has selected the crowd they want supporting them. Just like Mark Cuban said about that bouncy ball garbage as ratings were collapsing, "We have watching exactly who we want to watch."

I dont know how you can defend otherwise. When youre the very one saying you dont want wrestling to widen its appeal to the masses. You want it to appeal to you.

Lmao you're the best. Picking and choosing and then you drop some lame **** like that at the end.

Nah, i care about watching a good wrestling product instead of trying to recreate something that cannot be done. Tna would still be in business if it could. 

But don't know how that is relevant to the topic, hot crowds only enhance any wrestling show lol

Edited by Troy Brown