Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

On 5/26/2020 at 5:48 PM, Troy Brown said:

"Bucks were alright" cmon man dont let your bias stop you from saying they quite possibly had the spots of the match. moonsault with a broken rib off a god damn fg post, 100 yard northern lights suplex, alex wright dance, nick jackson's splash from the seats 

that said, i think everyone in that match looked like a star. 

Being honest here. They were good. I think the other guys were better. That’s why I said alright.  Jericho is someone else I’d say was alright. 

The one thing I really disagree with Cornette is there can be fun in wrestling. It always doesn’t have to be a serious feud ( which are my favorites ) and if that’s what he wants, watch NJPW...

It was a very good show last night. Really crappy that there was no crowds for FTR, Hardy, Brodie and Cage. Those are big moments. 

AEW’s tag division is so much better than anyone else’s . 

I do not like the way they booked the battle royal, it should have been more important. 

Also don’t like Cody defending the belt every week. I believe it cheapens the belt more than enhances it. 

Cage vs Mox can be good. I really hope Mox doesn’t out brawl Cage to a win and instead wrestle him . 

great final segment . I really hope we see Tyson v Jericho. Man, that will be INCREDIBLE for AEW. They have to put on a huge show with so many casual viewers wanting to watch Tyson. Could really pull in more viewers. 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

great final segment . I really hope we see Tyson v Jericho. Man, that will be INCREDIBLE for AEW. They have to put on a huge show with so many casual viewers wanting to watch Tyson. Could really pull in more viewers. 

I thought that segment was awful as soon as Tyson came out. Iron Mike was cringe worthy the entire time. His shirt rip fail, his minimal mic work made me wince, his oddly time flexing made me wince, and the brawl was lame AF

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I thought that segment was awful as soon as Tyson came out. Iron Mike was cringe worthy the entire time. His shirt rip fail, his minimal mic work made me wince, his oddly time flexing made me wince, and the brawl was lame AF

I did enjoy the beginning. I think it was great because if Tyson wrestles, it’s a huge get. Huge.

Overall i liked the show. It was another good episodes with some phenomenal segments and promo videos. Great to see the debut of FTR. We waited long enough for it and finally we're getting the feud vs the Young Bucks. Like so many debuts in the last couple of weeks/months i would have loved to see them debuting in front of a crowd, but it is what it is. Safety first. Hopefully they can wait for that match until All Out and maybe fans will be allowed to attend that one again.

I loved the Britt Baker segment as well. She is by far the best women in cutting promos in that division. I love that character she's portraying and that conspiracy theory was great as well. I get a feeling it's kind of a parody for all the conspiracy theories in the real world. It's great news that she wants to be back for All Out. I'd expected a longer recovery time.

The Taz promo was ok. Nothing special, but a solid promo to introduce the character of Brian Cage and build up his match vs Moxley. I like Cage, so i'll probably be more interested in that match, than in the one vs Brodie Lee.

I loved the Cody promo. He has such a good mic work. He's a guy who can always put emotions into his words and that's what connects with the audience. I guess they made the right choice to give Cody the TNT Championship. I do kind of agree, but also disagree with what Rainmaker said. I agree, because i think this is a risky way to introduce a championship, because it can happen that the matches for the championship won't feel important or special at all, if the matches don't deliver. ANd that's where i disagree. If they are able to put on good and sometimes great matches for that belt, than it should be able to really establish this championship. It's a fine line, but if they do it right, this could be an awesome to introduce the belt. If they do it wrong, the belt could end up as a midcard title. Exactly the one thing AEW and Cody don't want the belt to be. It should be a good start for Cody to fight Jungle Boy. He delivered on saturday and i trust him to deliver again.

The developement of MJF was quite interesting as well. They put in small differences and kind of played with a split between him and Wardlow. Once in the promo and once in the match, so it will be interesting to see if they fully commit to that split now or if it's just a small teaser for things that could happen in months or even a year from now. I liked that MJF played with his undefeated streak. He demands a title match and i think he's set to get one in the near future and i wouldn't be surprised if they hand over the title to him. I could see a match vs Moxley at All Out.

The Inner Circle Pep Rally is left. It was solid, with a phenomenal poem and acting by Jake Hager. Especially that last verse was so good. Then there was the confrontation with Mike Tyson. I'm really split on that. On the one hand it makes totally sense to bring that angle and that feud with Jericho, because it's the perfect timing for AEW to get into national media frontpages. And as far as i can judge from europe, it seemed to make relatively huge waves. I just look at the youtube video. That one already got over 1 million views, so yes it did gain the attention of a lot of fans and most likely not only AEW fans. I loved that they included the likes of Henry Cejudo, Vitor Belfort and Rashad Evans for the segment as well. If you commit to such a feud and such an angle, then do it right and fully commit into starpower. That seemed to work. But there are also things i don't like about it. I think the majority of fans won't like the developement, as this feud it's probably not end in a good match. But at least Jericho is the only guy i trust to get something good out of Mik Tyson, so maybe i'm wrong on that. Through i did wished, that they would include Lance Archer, since they already played for that one for weeks and stated that Lance Archer was looking to knock out Mike Tyson, so it would have been great to get that confrontation or even let MJF show up in front of Mike Tyson. It could have been such a great way for MJF to cut a promo and let him finish with his catchphrase and just let him knock Tyson out. That would have been a huge push for MJF, but in the end i guess that only Jericho vs Tyson could create such a big buzz. So overall i'm ok with it, since i know AEW can gain a lot from it, but i also know that the match will most likely be a bad one and therefore i don't think they will be able to catch me with this feud. As long as it stays a one time only feud for the next 2 or 3 years i guess i'm ok with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

The developement of MJF was quite interesting as well. They put in small differences and kind of played with a split between him and Wardlow. Once in the promo and once in the match, so it will be interesting to see if they fully commit to that split now or if it's just a small teaser for things that could happen in months or even a year from now. I liked that MJF played with his undefeated streak. He demands a title match and i think he's set to get one in the near future and i wouldn't be surprised if they hand over the title to him. I could see a match vs Moxley at All Out.

I think they will split MJF and Wardlow to hold out on pairing MJF with Cody again. I imagine the next time MJF and Cody go at it the caveat will be that MJF will lift the AEW title restriction. Maybe have MJF wanting the match and flip the script. 

1 hour ago, Edge said:

That one already got over 1 million views, so yes it did gain the attention of a lot of fans and most likely not only AEW fans.

my boss does not follow wrestling at all and asked me about it

Driving to ft Myers with my wife.  We stopped in Orlando to see the performance center.  Drove in the main road, saw about 8 WWE big truck trailers.  Drove around back, it didn't say you couldn't... 

Got pulled over and stopped by security.  Who was a sheriff's swat officer. Explained we were passing through taking pictures.  He was nice but told us only in front of the building.  😂😂😂  basically the nice way of GTFO.  

Literally not one car parked there.  Do they still tape SD live??  

AEW show this week. Young Bucks dont even look like theyre trying to wrestle anymore. They look more like 2 guys just waiting to hit random high spots than guys in a fight. Which seems to filter through a lot of the manlet matches in AEW. Their heavyweights nail looking like theyre in a fight near every outing.

FTR rolling in just like Cody did 2 weeks back. Then they roll up to the Bucks and are actually smaller than the manlet Bucks xD. Could not stop laughing at that sight.

Christi Jaynes shouldnt be pinned against the champ first match. Should have had a surprise win over a midcarder. She has what it takes to be the top billing on their womens roster. Not much competition atm.

Rumble match was good. But they need to keep Billy Gunn away from these wrestlers. Without him out theyd look a lot more credible. I thought Luchasaurus was a good 6'5-6'6. Billy is 6'4 and a solid inch over Saurus.

Pep Rally was good. Normal IC humor mixed in with a serious confrontation. Liked how that all laid out.

Couldnt see the PPV live. After seeing the results that all the goodies won. Those good guys being all management members. I didnt bother. Why put down Lance, Brody and IC all in one night? Results were exactly like the WWE they didnt want to be like. Lance should have rolled on for months undefeated.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Couldnt see the PPV live. After seeing the results that all the goodies won. Those good guys being all management members. I didnt bother. Why put down Lance, Brody and IC all in one night? Results were exactly like the WWE they didnt want to be like. Lance should have rolled on for months undefeated.

Moxley winning over Brodie Lee made all the sense in the world. He shouldn't lose his first title defense on a ppv and i think the finish was good. Definitely better to not pin Brode Lee or let him give up on his own, but rather letting him get unconscious.

The win of the Elite also makes sense, since the Inner Circle dominated that feud most of the time. A big win for the Elite was necessary and will be useful to set up another match, probably the Blood & Guts match, whenever fans are allowed to attend an event again.

The only match you can reasonable argue is Cody vs Lance Archer. For me it would have been fine either way for them to win. I don't like that Archer lost that clean, but Cody is a star and his promo on Dynamite showed that it probably was the right decision to let him establish the title. Also he would have gotten another loss, which would hurt him very much after losing against Jericho, MJF and then Archer. Unless you want to turn one of your hottest babyfaces heel, you can't let him lose all the big matches. So i'm fine with that decision, although they could have given Archer the win as well. Again, i didn't mind any outcome in that match.

10 hours ago, Edge said:

The only match you can reasonable argue is Cody vs Lance Archer. For me it would have been fine either way for them to win. I don't like that Archer lost that clean, but Cody is a star and his promo on Dynamite showed that it probably was the right decision to let him establish the title. Also he would have gotten another loss, which would hurt him very much after losing against Jericho, MJF and then Archer. Unless you want to turn one of your hottest babyfaces heel, you can't let him lose all the big matches. So i'm fine with that decision, although they could have given Archer the win as well. Again, i didn't mind any outcome in that match.

I don't think Cody winning is an issue either, however I much prefer the potential story in a loss. We could get a modified Sami Zayn NXT title situation where Cody just can't get it done in the big implication matches. He lost to MJF negating any title run and then to Lance when a title he could get was on the line. Both matches were extremely personable, MJF being his protege and the way Lance and Jake focused on him, his legacy, and his family. My pitch would have been this:

Have Cody cut an emotional promo at the following Dynamite. Tell the fans that they might not see him for a little while, he needs to figure some things out. Have multiple backstage segments over the next couple weeks where everyone tries to talk to him and help him. First its Arn and Cody where Cody says he appreciates everything he has done and respects Arn greatly but he cares to much about Arn to have him out there, its ultimately a distraction. Have the Bucks and Omega next, and basically have Cody tell them that he can't worry about the Elite and whatever it is they have got going on, he needs to pave a path without them right now. (unrelated to Cody but I would also have Hangman come into frame with a beer after Cody walks away with a look that says, hmmm that sounds good to me to.) Next have Dustin and QT come up. Have Cody tell them he believes they really have something in their tag team and doesnt want them concerning themselves with him. When Brandi comes up right after they leave, she gets a similar story about her managing that tag, but also wanting to distance himself from her publicly because he can't watch her get hurt because of him ever again in an AEW ring. Effectively this distances Cody from all these little cliques that he is apart of, which honestly benefits all of them as well.

It explains why he hasn't taken part in any Elite storylines and wont in the future, keeping them clear for the Hangman storyline that has been brewing

It allows the Natural Nightmares to do there own thing and take on their own identity and keeps Brandi in a singular role on TV. Her tv persona has been so all over the place throughout AEW's first year and part of the reason is because she snaps back to babyface wife for Cody way to often. Let her do her own thing. 

This isnt necessary but as a fan of the early seasons of Arrow I would mark out hard if Amell made a backstage appearance and handed Cody a little book and told him when he had people he needed to deal with, he would write them in a book like this one and cross them off one by one. Make a few wink winks to his Arrow character and then let Cody know he understands his decision to go this alone and then walks off. I really like the idea of having a physical representation of what Cody needs to do. In the past year he has set up a pretty clear list of guys that has wronged him in some way. Shawn Spears, Chris Jericho, Wardlow, MJF, and Lance Archer. You might add Darby Allin in but I think that doesnt need to be revisited. 

First it would be Spears, but I'd want it to be more of a long term feud. Rebuild Shawn a little bit. Have him go after all those people he distanced himself from. Attack Dustin from behind for instance. Try and bait Cody to react but he never does. Eventually, after a few weeks of these attacks have Cody cut a backstage interview where they ask him if he is going to do anything about the heinous attacks on his friends and family by Spears. Cody basically says they can handle themselves and he has a match to prepare for. He should beat Spears very systematically at Fyter Fest, crossing his name off in his book before heading to the back. 

Next on the list would be Lance Archer. It'd be cool to get a shot of the names as Cody crosses off Spears at FF with Archer being next that way Jake can cut a promo about Cody's 'little list' on the next dynamite. Have Cody stay away from them, pissing them off to no end that he wont come out to face them. Finally an interviewer finds Cody back stage and asks what it will take for Archer and Jake to get his attention. Cody simply says a title shot and walks away. Jake grants it to him. This basically flips the script on the loss at DoN. In that match Cody had all the reason to take his emotions into the ring. This time around, Cody has frustrated Lance making him emotionally unstable. Cody would win this title, probably on TV considering the actual angle right now. 

The following week have Cody come out and do an open challenge, basically anyone come out and if Cody deems them worthy he will grant them a title shot the following week. MJF comes out with Wardlow in tow and Cody basically says no, your not next on the list. MJF starts throwing a hissy fit and eventually asks if not him than who? Cody just says Wardlow. Wardlow likes this and tries to accept the title shot but MJF isnt having it. They are arguing off mic when Cody just kind nonchalantly exits the ring and walks by (in my mind they are talking to Cody from the stage while Cody is in the ring). Leave the match for next week in limbo a bit. Announce that Cody will come to the ring ready to defend. He does so and they wait for a minute then Wardlow's music hits. However, he doesnt come to the ring just yet. He gets on the mic and tells Cody he has a name he needs to cross off first to, and tells MJF to come out and face him. Wardlow walks to the ring, goes face to face with Cody and then Cody retreats to the back. MJF comes out after a commercial break and tries to talk Wardlow down. It doesnt work and Wardlow takes a shot at MJF but MJF runs away. They play cat and mouse the rest of the night. The following week Cody comes to the ring and tells Wardlow its now or never for his title shot. Wardlow comes out and they start their match. Have Wardlow looking like he might win after a physical match only for MJF to come out and distract Wardlow long enough for Cody to pick up the win. Cody crosses Wardlow off his list. The following week MJF comes out to open the show and says it's his turn for a TNT title shot. Cody comes out to the stage with MJF in the ring and says he can have it at the next PPV, but on one condition. His AEW title restriction is lifted if he wins. MFJ reluctantly agrees. During the PPV match Wardlow comes down but it is unclear if he is back with MJF or not. Have him seem like he is going to help MJF only to completely turn on him helping Cody win the match. Cody crosses MJF off the list and it pushes a Wardlow MFJ fued that we have already seen the seeds for in reality and it also leaves the door open for another feud between MJF and Cody for the AEW title now that the restriction is lifted and that the finish here was not 100% clean. 

The following Dynamite, Cody is about to say who the final name on his list is when Sammy comes down and asks if its him. Cody says no, but Sammy insists on a TNT title shot anyways. Cody contemplates for a second before offering this. Next week Sammy can have a title shot, but if anyone from the inner circle interferes in the match or even comes ring side at any time, Cody gets the rematch of his choice and his stipulation. Sammy agrees to that. The following week, the Inner Circle do interfere allowing Sammy to win the TNT title. They figure no matter what Cody's stipulation is for a rematch, they will still be able to help Sammy retain. The following week rolls around and Cody comes out serious but then cracks a grin. He says he never really said who the rematch was with and announces a cage fight with Chris Jericho, a rematch from their AEW title match. The camera can zoom in on the list show Jericho as the last name on it. Im thinking akin to the Riddle Thatcher cage from NXT. Obviously Chris would be upset initially but ultimately he gives in and the match is scheduled for the next PPV. This frees Cody from the TNT title without taking a clean loss and lets him move on to Jericho who I don't think should be involved in the TNT title. The inner circle tries to intervene for Jericho but ultimately fail and Cody picks up the win, crossing the last name off his list. 

On the following Dynamite, an interviewer catches up with Cody and asks what's next now that he has crossed all his names off his list. Cody says, well, the AEW title of course. Have whoever is currently the AEW champ (could still be Moxley) tied up in a feud so that Cody is stuck vying for #1 contendership. Eventually, announce that at the next PPV, the #1 contender would be decided in a fatal five-way match between Cody, Jericho, Wardlow, MJF, and Lance Archer (sorry Shawn). The weeks that follow can have some shenanigans between the five. Ultimately when the PPV rolls around, Cody gets beat the F up. Everyone else in the match focuses on him initially and it looks like he has no shot. Once he is down and out, the others start turning on each other. MJF and Wardlow first, obviously. Jericho tries to take a cheap shot on Archer, etc. When the dust starts to settle a battered and bloody, like him vs Dusty bloody, Cody crawls back into the ring, gets a big second wind, goes ham on Jericho and picks up the improbable win and become the #1 contender. Ideally he would win his title shot and become AEW Champion at the following PPV. 

13 hours ago, Edge said:

Moxley winning over Brodie Lee made all the sense in the world. He shouldn't lose his first title defense on a ppv and i think the finish was good. Definitely better to not pin Brode Lee or let him give up on his own, but rather letting him get unconscious.

The win of the Elite also makes sense, since the Inner Circle dominated that feud most of the time. A big win for the Elite was necessary and will be useful to set up another match, probably the Blood & Guts match, whenever fans are allowed to attend an event again.

I agree with you on the first paragraph. But Lance and Brody are 2 major player badguys. And less than 2 months build. Already taking losses. Lance and Cody could have carried that feud till the next ppv or so easy. Building up a major rivalry. Now Cody is facing Jungle Boy cause of the Rumble win and all the baddies being crushed in 1 night. 2 good guys with not much of any storyline to be found there. Potential great match. But not much else surrounding to build it.

The Elite win. That could have gone either way.  IC with Jericho looking strong in feuding with Tyson would have been major. You say the IC dominated most of that feud. But every week lately when it looks like they have the upper hand. One of the Bucks have been charging out to save the day and clean house like a pocket sized Steve Austin. I havent seen the IC look like credible badguys in weeks because of that. To build that match. The IC should have flat out left them laying in heaps each week and then the Elite overcomes in the match. But the way it build up with a superman running out to save the day for the elite each week. Think it would have propelled the IC as a faction to Evolution heights. And not just be seen as a group that cuts funny promos but lose big matches. Which theyve done constantly lately. LAX hasnt sniffed the Tag Titles, Mox beat Hager and Jericho, Sammy lost to Omega for some AAA title and in the TNT bracket early. LAX beat by everyone. At some point they have to win some of these major matches.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:49 PM, Edge said:

Overall i liked the show. It was another good episodes with some phenomenal segments and promo videos. Great to see the debut of FTR. We waited long enough for it and finally we're getting the feud vs the Young Bucks. Like so many debuts in the last couple of weeks/months i would have loved to see them debuting in front of a crowd, but it is what it is. Safety first. Hopefully they can wait for that match until All Out and maybe fans will be allowed to attend that one again.

I loved the Britt Baker segment as well. She is by far the best women in cutting promos in that division. I love that character she's portraying and that conspiracy theory was great as well. I get a feeling it's kind of a parody for all the conspiracy theories in the real world. It's great news that she wants to be back for All Out. I'd expected a longer recovery time.

The Taz promo was ok. Nothing special, but a solid promo to introduce the character of Brian Cage and build up his match vs Moxley. I like Cage, so i'll probably be more interested in that match, than in the one vs Brodie Lee.

I loved the Cody promo. He has such a good mic work. He's a guy who can always put emotions into his words and that's what connects with the audience. I guess they made the right choice to give Cody the TNT Championship. I do kind of agree, but also disagree with what Rainmaker said. I agree, because i think this is a risky way to introduce a championship, because it can happen that the matches for the championship won't feel important or special at all, if the matches don't deliver. ANd that's where i disagree. If they are able to put on good and sometimes great matches for that belt, than it should be able to really establish this championship. It's a fine line, but if they do it right, this could be an awesome to introduce the belt. If they do it wrong, the belt could end up as a midcard title. Exactly the one thing AEW and Cody don't want the belt to be. It should be a good start for Cody to fight Jungle Boy. He delivered on saturday and i trust him to deliver again.

The Inner Circle Pep Rally is left. It was solid, with a phenomenal poem and acting by Jake Hager. Especially that last verse was so good. Then there was the confrontation with Mike Tyson. I'm really split on that. On the one hand it makes totally sense to bring that angle and that feud with Jericho, because it's the perfect timing for AEW to get into national media frontpages. And as far as i can judge from europe, it seemed to make relatively huge waves. I just look at the youtube video. That one already got over 1 million views, so yes it did gain the attention of a lot of fans and most likely not only AEW fans. I loved that they included the likes of Henry Cejudo, Vitor Belfort and Rashad Evans for the segment as well. If you commit to such a feud and such an angle, then do it right and fully commit into starpower. That seemed to work. But there are also things i don't like about it. I think the majority of fans won't like the developement, as this feud it's probably not end in a good match. But at least Jericho is the only guy i trust to get something good out of Mik Tyson, so maybe i'm wrong on that. Through i did wished, that they would include Lance Archer, since they already played for that one for weeks and stated that Lance Archer was looking to knock out Mike Tyson, so it would have been great to get that confrontation or even let MJF show up in front of Mike Tyson. It could have been such a great way for MJF to cut a promo and let him finish with his catchphrase and just let him knock Tyson out. That would have been a huge push for MJF, but in the end i guess that only Jericho vs Tyson could create such a big buzz. So overall i'm ok with it, since i know AEW can gain a lot from it, but i also know that the match will most likely be a bad one and therefore i don't think they will be able to catch me with this feud. As long as it stays a one time only feud for the next 2 or 3 years i guess i'm ok with it.

Did you like the match with Brodie Lee? It seems like I liked it more than most. I thought it was a very solid, strong match that made both look good. 

Wardlow has so much potential. I seen him in Pittsburgh wrestling for the IWC two years ago and I was impressed . Incredibly nice guy too. Had a real good short conversation. 

17 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Did you like the match with Brodie Lee? It seems like I liked it more than most. I thought it was a very solid, strong match that made both look good. 

Wardlow has so much potential. I seen him in Pittsburgh wrestling for the IWC two years ago and I was impressed . Incredibly nice guy too. Had a real good short conversation. 

Yeah i did. Judging only pure wrestling matches, i'd put it right behind MJF vs. Jungle Boy and give it 4 stars.

• Like 1

AEW thoughts 

solid opening match with Omega and Hangman vs Sabian and Havoc. I really don’t see it with Kip. Love his entrance song, but he’s incredibly small with no ‘ body charisma ‘ , his move set is incredibly bland , he’s done nothing with his ‘Superbad’ character and doesn’t come off as cool. Tbh I think he’s carried by Penelope. 

The FTR interview was solid. There was parts I really liked and parts I didn’t like. I though Dawson was more comfortable than Dash. It ended on a strong note. Really looking forward to their AEW run. 

Taz was incredible last night. I forgot how good of a talker. Mox was very good, made me really want to see this match. I think it could be one of the best matches AEW has had. They’re doing very good with this feud. 

Im open to Hardy having multiple personalities; I trust that he’s creative enough to pull it off.

The Jericho promo was good. I think they should announce the match sooner than later with Tyson. The Cassidy part was funny too. 

I really liked Cabana. I do not find him remotely funny, but his wrestling tonight was very solid. 

Brit Baker was incredible again. She has to be the person I changed my opinion on the most. Incredible talent. 

Gotta be honest, I didn’t pay too much attention to Jungle Boy and Cody. It’s hard for me to get into matches where I’m 99% sure of the outcome. 

Very good show all around. Really got me wanting to see the different storylines more and I’m excited for next week!

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Im open to Hardy having multiple personalities; I trust that he’s creative enough to pull it off.

I want this so bad. I want each personality to have different storylines. I want someone who has a problem with V2 Matt Hardy to come up to Demascus and have him have no idea what he is talking about. Give it to me AEW. 

• Like 1