Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I for one am glad Brock is getting the shot. Just look at he and Kofi in the ring together. He made Kofi look like a bigger joke of a champion than the idiocy of flinging pancakes does.

The casual people that could tune in need to see the only household name they have in Brock.

yeah brock has lead to great ratings 

44 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

yeah brock has lead to great ratings 

Smackdown last night hit a flat 2 million viewers.

Big move. Major network. Only built name they have going for the title. Few get to see Brock wrestle live, hasnt wrestled on a network show in 14 years.

I can see them landing a little over that 3 million mark thanks to the help of the title match being promoted for the first show.

15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Anyone enjoy the 1st edition of NXT on USA?

The womens match was better than any shown on the big shows in a good long while.

It was (the womens' match).  The commercials will take some getting used to, but the in's and out's to them were handled really well (better than Dunn's production and segues on RAW and Smackdown).  I get that some people are (going to be) upset that Dream lost, but it creates some intrigue as he's a great chaser and this firmly establishes him as a babyface (if an antisocial one when it comes to "playing nice with others") which will help keep them from oversaturating his gimmick on weekly television.

Pete Dunne is up there with the best workers in the company.  He does something that I've seen maybe only about 3 or 4 times since Bobby Fulton was wrestling for Crockett - he's able to assist opponents in hitting their impact spots without it looking like he's cooperating/helping, rather he makes it look like he's doing the opposite.  That's a lost art and it's one of the bigger criticisms I've had AEW and of WWE for a while before that - yeah, the move itself looks cool, but it also looks like they two opponents are cooperating to execute it, not that one guy is executing the move on his opponent.  While I'm on that subject, props to Lio Rush and Biff (Oney Lorcan) for one of the best non-cooperative-looking Spanish Fly's I've seen in a good long while, the timing was perfect (and that match had Brian Kendrick written all over it).  Walter and Imperium coming out and then Kushida being willing to walk into the lion's den to have a poke was really pulled off well.

All in all, the show did a really good job of doing what they needed it to do: Create intrigue and a reason for people who don't have the Network or who haven't been regularly following NXT to want to and feel the need to tune in next Wednesday.  Also, knowing what both are capable of (particularly how underrated athletically both are) I'm hype for Keith Lee vs Dijak(ovich) next week.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

It was (the womens' match).  The commercials will take some getting used to, but the in's and out's to them were handled really well (better than Dunn's production and segues on RAW and Smackdown).  I get that some people are (going to be) upset that Dream lost, but it creates some intrigue as he's a great chaser and this firmly establishes him as a babyface (if an antisocial one when it comes to "playing nice with others") which will help keep them from oversaturating his gimmick on weekly television.

I dont care Dream lost. But dont like how he lost. They promoted the show as "No B S". Yet the heel cheated to win. First show. Id of had a quick rollup type surprise heel victory.

They want to build a credible heel faction to a entirely new audience. And I think they muffed it and showed a case to new viewers that its likely to be just more of the same.

Idk, I didn't think NXT created much intrigue to anyone who didn't already watch it. It was fine, but it didn't seem like much out of the ordinary for the product which is what I think it needed to be. I also think it makes their product look inferior to be showing it on 2 outlets just in order to get a 2 week head start on AEW. 

I guess stop me if my aew bias is showing but I was just hoping for a real pop in there somewhere. I can also respect that they stayed true to their product, didn't bring Shinsuke/KO/Zayn/Joe/Asuka in to get a cheap pop (who I guess are the extended mt rushmore of NXT when I think of it) and portrayed Walter as the biggest threat on the brand. I guess HHH knows the way to build a brand is to build it from within. 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Is what was live on USA exactly what is on the Network? I started watching on the network and got a bunch of "earlier tonight" stuff. Is there nowhere to stream it after it airs?

I would assume you can stream it through USA's streaming app/service.  They had to split into two separate entities because we're not into the fall season and USA still has, I believe, 2 final episodes of one of it's original series that normally airs in the 9PM block that they weren't going to move.  I assume, safely I think, they'll end up doing a WWE Week in Reivew program on the Network, similar to RAW Replay, they just have to allow for a couple days of streaming before airing it because USA probably has some proprietary right of first airing or something similar in the contract.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, DawgX said:

I'm glad Luke Harper is back. He's been one of my favorites since he came to WWE.

I'm glad he's back too because I do like him. But at the same time it's hard not to believe that his current run will only be short-lived before falling thru the cracks again like always. 

I've always liked Harper better than Rowen and I feel like he deserves the same push that Rowen has been getting lately. I just hope to hell they don't go back to the Wyatt family again cause it only hurts all 3 of them (I don't think it'll happen, just saying). I would much rather see the bludgeon brothers again--which I was interested in, personally. 

On 9/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, DawgX said:

And what are the chances Wyatt wins the title? I don't think he necessarily needs the title right now, but I hope they don't make him look bad in case Rollins retains the title. If Rollins goes over clean over Wyatt, then it'll feel like Wyatt's recent build would be a complete waste.

I love the fiend character. Wyatt was good before but having him (seemingly) lose every single meaningful match was painful to watch. A restart was the best thing to happen to him IF they use him right. Which is why I hope they either let Wyatt win cleanly and let him keep the title for a while or at least be creative in how he loses without losing any momentum.

Personally, I'm hoping for the former because Seth's run has become stale at this point imo and him losing will not hurt him at all. 

On side note, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like Wyatt is becoming more of a fan favorite than the heel they expected him to be so that opens up some other options as well depending on how they wanna go about it moving forward. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:47 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm glad he's back too because I do like him. But at the same time it's hard not to believe that his current run will only be short-lived before falling thru the cracks again like always. 

I've always liked Harper better than Rowen and I feel like he deserves the same push that Rowen has been getting lately. I just hope to hell they don't go back to the Wyatt family again cause it only hurts all 3 of them (I don't think it'll happen, just saying). I would much rather see the bludgeon brothers again--which I was interested in, personally. 

I love the fiend character. Wyatt was good before but having him (seemingly) lose every single meaningful match was painful to watch. A restart was the best thing to happen to him IF they use him right. Which is why I hope they either let Wyatt win cleanly and let him keep the title for a while or at least be creative in how he loses without losing any momentum.

Personally, I'm hoping for the former because Seth's run has become stale at this point imo and him losing will not hurt him at all. 

On side note, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like Wyatt is becoming more of a fan favorite than the heel they expected him to be so that opens up some other options as well depending on how they wanna go about it moving forward. 

Face Seth isn't a good front runner. He's a good chaser. Heel Seth does both well and that's why he's stale right now.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

It depends on how quickly this Rowan/Harper/Roman/DB stuff drags out.  If Rowan and Harper are drafted over to RAW, with Heyman pretty much getting free reign (no Vince, no Hunter, no Kevin Dunn on the RAW before this last one, from everything I've heard), I can see Heyman actually doing something with Harper - 1, because he was a huge Bruiser Brody fan and 2, because he has the misfit type that Paul gravitates towards.  (Maybe it's just a gut feeling I've been having, but I feel like with FOX wanting to present Smackdown in more of a sports vein, they're going to make a point of seeking more guys in tights and traditional ring gear, less guys whose ring attire is jeans, tank tops, etc)

I think if you don't put The fiend over Seth you kill the character - and considering it's the hottest character they've had since, arguably, Bryan during the Yes! movement, possibly even Punk during the Summer of Punk, to the point where fans are hijacking other matches to chant for the Firefly Funhouse act, you have to just throw gasoline on the fire.  And that means put the title on him and keep it on him for a while (think of it this way, if the character is "on the show" regularly in Bray's FF segments, but rarely actually in the arena unless it's on his terms (sneak attack), then you can break free of the stale "want a title shot, jump the champion" bit they've been running for years.  If it was me booking this, I'd put the title on him, keep it on him till Mania, and have Balor return to either win the Rumble or to earn the title shot at Mania and have the Demon finally conquer his own demons to confront and beat the Fiend.

• Like 1