Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

He's overly silly on TV (which bugs me) but when he needs to get serious I think he's a great seller. His matches against guys like Okada/Naito/Jericho and Mox show that.

For the most part, I agree.  I think he's an extraordinarily talented worker - to the extent that I wish he's stop doing some of the corny theatrics that too many people seem to give him a pass for while simultaneously ragging on "mainstream" (at the time at least) guys for doing.  That and his affecting his voice in his promos (you know what I'm talking about) just bug me because his delivery, again, just comes across like he's being parody (it works as a heel because it can go hand-in-hand with mocking your opponent, but as a babyface it's not as effective, and I haven't seen him really vary it); in a sense it kind of came across like Funaki and Kai En Tai doign the dubbed-over English translation for their dialogue or - honestly, what it always reminded me of - Steve Odenkirk (and other cast members) in "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist," (again, works great when you're the heel gaijin in Japan, not so much when you're the gaijin babyface).

Truth be told I enjoyed his matches against Okada and Naito (and I enjoy Naito but I his matches tend to be hit or miss with me because I don't like when he and his opponent are out there legitimately looking like they're trying to kill themselves with the risky/borderline-stupid bumps they're taking, as opposed to looking like they're each trying to kill their opponent) more than I did Jericho and Moxon.  And against Moxon is the only one I'm pretty sure Kenny was actually calling in the ring (I know he wasn't against Jericho, I'm pretty confident Naito was calling their matches, and - someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe I heard that particularly early on in his IWGP championship runs Gedo was actually calling most of Okada's matches and just relaying much of the calls through the referee (hence why Red Shoes was often the referee for those matches), the lone exceptions being when he was working someone like Tanahashi Nakamura, or Goto..

• Like 1

I personally enjoy the dramatic/comedic Kenny stuff and I like his voice inflection stuff. 

I see your points and I'm generally not a Kenny guy but his acting and stopping to sweep when brawling with Moxley however many Dynamites ago type stuff is what I find endearing and unique about him. Without it, I don't think I'd be as interested. 

Edited by Troy Brown

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

For the most part, I agree.  I think he's an extraordinarily talented worker - to the extent that I wish he's stop doing some of the corny theatrics that too many people seem to give him a pass for while simultaneously ragging on "mainstream" (at the time at least) guys for doing.  That and his affecting his voice in his promos (you know what I'm talking about) just bug me because his delivery, again, just comes across like he's being parody (it works as a heel because it can go hand-in-hand with mocking your opponent, but as a babyface it's not as effective, and I haven't seen him really vary it); in a sense it kind of came across like Funaki and Kai En Tai doign the dubbed-over English translation for their dialogue or - honestly, what it always reminded me of - Steve Odenkirk (and other cast members) in "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist," (again, works great when you're the heel gaijin in Japan, not so much when you're the gaijin babyface).

Truth be told I enjoyed his matches against Okada and Naito (and I enjoy Naito but I his matches tend to be hit or miss with me because I don't like when he and his opponent are out there legitimately looking like they're trying to kill themselves with the risky/borderline-stupid bumps they're taking, as opposed to looking like they're each trying to kill their opponent) more than I did Jericho and Moxon.  And against Moxon is the only one I'm pretty sure Kenny was actually calling in the ring (I know he wasn't against Jericho, I'm pretty confident Naito was calling their matches, and - someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe I heard that particularly early on in his IWGP championship runs Gedo was actually calling most of Okada's matches and just relaying much of the calls through the referee (hence why Red Shoes was often the referee for those matches), the lone exceptions being when he was working someone like Tanahashi Nakamura, or Goto..

I'm probably in the minority but I think for the most part Omega/Naito matches were better than Omega/Okada. I don't view Jericho/Mox matches at the same level but they were all highly enjoyable. As much as I enjoy Kenny, Mox is my favorite wrestler in the world.

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

So I realized I hadnt watched Raw yet so I didnt get to NXT last night because I fell asleep watching the hulu version of Raw....

I haven't watched WWE in a good long time but I imagine most of RAW/Smackdown watches like the cut scenes in a WWE video game career mode

22 hours ago, Edge said:

That's simply amazing! :x A week later they will held Dynamite live on the Jericho Cruise, which should be some fun as well.

I remember them saying that they were trying to be different and go in a different direction with wrestling. All I'm seeing is recycled shows and recycled promos. I really want to cheer for AEW and I tune in every week but, God. It's getting harder. 

58 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I remember them saying that they were trying to be different and go in a different direction with wrestling. All I'm seeing is recycled shows and recycled promos. I really want to cheer for AEW and I tune in every week but, God. It's getting harder. 

Isn't this their first recycled show? What promos are you talking about?

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

What did you expect?

They can't reinvent the wheel. It's still wrestling and nowadays it's easier than ever before for us fans to find a league that gives us the exact style we want to see. You have that pure entertaining factor with WWE. You have the strong style and overall phenomenal wrestling with NJPW. You can check in AAA, CMLL and others to see Lucha Libre. You can just watch female only wrestling promotions if u like. The Indys offer all kind of styles. European promotions grow and more and more talent from here finds its way into the US and the worldwide market. Even fans of the 80s can check in NWA again. I don't know what you expected, but obviously they aren't able to reinvente the wheel.

I think they are doing just fine. They started very wrestling heavy and with the latest shows they have shown us that they are able to deliver some great entertainment as well. Everybody should find something to cheer for as every kind of style seems to be represented. That's the mix that they need to keep as it makes the shows more interesting.

They do have some nostalgic moments and i don't see a problem by using them. But obviously they need to be careful in certain areas. In some it's a fine line. You pointed out the promo of Jericho and MJF, which replicates the promo of him with KO. True, but on the other hand it's fitting into the story. Don't forget that they have a certain freedom with their promos and especially Jericho can probably just do whatever he wants to do. He has done some shoots and he has done that promo, most likely because he wanted to do it. He's reinventing himself again and i think he enjoys it and that's the result of it. It shouldn't be too much, but for now i think they are doing it the right way. Don't forget they already created their own moments. If they do these kind of references from time to time it's fine for me, as long as it fits into the story.

Obviously there are some nostalgic moments as well, but some of it can't be avoided and shouldn't be avoided. They have a deal with TNT. The first wrestling show since WCW is gone. That feels like a historic moment, because it is a historic moment. Under these circumstances some WCW references are just fitting and with Jericho as champ you even have someone who has a connection to WCW. That beeing said other wrestlers and especially Cody and Dustin have a history as well. That entire Rhodes family tradition has deep roots in the history of wrestling. Dusty has done so much, that fans are still loving him. With Cody beeing an EVP i think it's just fitting that they aren't ignoring that fact and instead are using it to honor the legacy of Dusty Rhodes. And it also helps putting Cody on a new level. I never followed him that much after he left WWE. Basically not until the beginning of the year and the creation of AEW, but he really isn't the same guy anymore. He's a star and everything about him feels like a star. He has a unique oldschool in-ring style, but more importantly he's doing great promos and has charisma. That beeing said it's not only Cody, but others as well, where AEW is doing something right. Look at WWE and look who they build up or actually missed to build up over the last few years, hell even the last decade. AEW needs more time, but already feel a connection to so many of those wrestlers. It's crazy how easy it is to creat a bond to the wrestlers. It took just 4 minutes in a video to understand who Darby Allin is and to cheer for him. One simple video before his match against Cody and i already connected with him. MJF is the next big thing. Luchasaurus is over like almost nobody else and i'm so stunned to check out the views on youtube. Normally Moxley gets the most views and yet during the last episode it was the return of Luchasaurus that got by far the most views on youtube. Was he even a part of dynamite before? If so, than just for a very, very small moment and yet he's over as hell. They are just doing it the right way, something i really missed for such a long time in WWE. They are just easy to cheer for in general, as they are just so open and honest with us fans. The social media stuff they are putting out is fantastic. BTE and especially the room service interviews are simply amazing. The last episode with the Jurassic Express was so interesting and funny. The same for the Joey Janella interview and everything else. Fromt their storys it seems like Tony Khan really is a wrestling nerd, but in a positive way and he seems like a really cool boss. After big events he's taking all the time to address the media and that's something that at least i'm not used to in a mainstream wrestling promotion but that feels really good.

I think they are doing it the right way and they are doing it differently. Especially different to WWE. If i think about it, maybe they are reinventing the wheel actually. Their usage of new media to build up characters and keep involved with fans is something i have never seen before and it's actually not even surprising as the Young Bucks are the first wrestlers who really capitalized from it. I dunno if other promotions did it like that, but i never got the feeling that WWE is doing it the way AEW is doing it now to connect with fans. It might be on an entire new level for a mainstream promotion and most certainly that's the future approach to connect with the fanbase. AEW is doing really good in the demographic. So it's working. The average AEW viewer is about 40 years old. I think the average WWE viewer is 52 years old or something like that and i think that's even just the number of NXT, with the main shows averaging an even older viewership. Maybe it's to far stretched to say they are reinventing the wheel, but that wasn't your question anyways. It's something i came up with, but since you pointed out that they wanted to do it differently. Yeah the absolutely do. In comparison to WWE for sure, but even in general they do have taken some approachs that work out for them.

1 minute ago, Edge said:

What did you expect?

They can't reinvent the wheel. It's still wrestling and nowadays it's easier than ever before for us fans to find a league that gives us the exact style we want to see. You have that pure entertaining factor with WWE. You have the strong style and overall phenomenal wrestling with NJPW. You can check in AAA, CMLL and others to see Lucha Libre. You can just watch female only wrestling promotions if u like. The Indys offer all kind of styles. European promotions grow and more and more talent from here finds its way into the US and the worldwide market. Even fans of the 80s can check in NWA again. I don't know what you expected, but obviously they aren't able to reinvente the wheel.

I think they are doing just fine. They started very wrestling heavy and with the latest shows they have shown us that they are able to deliver some great entertainment as well. Everybody should find something to cheer for as every kind of style seems to be represented. That's the mix that they need to keep as it makes the shows more interesting.

They do have some nostalgic moments and i don't see a problem by using them. But obviously they need to be careful in certain areas. In some it's a fine line. You pointed out the promo of Jericho and MJF, which replicates the promo of him with KO. True, but on the other hand it's fitting into the story. Don't forget that they have a certain freedom with their promos and especially Jericho can probably just do whatever he wants to do. He has done some shoots and he has done that promo, most likely because he wanted to do it. He's reinventing himself again and i think he enjoys it and that's the result of it. It shouldn't be too much, but for now i think they are doing it the right way. Don't forget they already created their own moments. If they do these kind of references from time to time it's fine for me, as long as it fits into the story.

Obviously there are some nostalgic moments as well, but some of it can't be avoided and shouldn't be avoided. They have a deal with TNT. The first wrestling show since WCW is gone. That feels like a historic moment, because it is a historic moment. Under these circumstances some WCW references are just fitting and with Jericho as champ you even have someone who has a connection to WCW. That beeing said other wrestlers and especially Cody and Dustin have a history as well. That entire Rhodes family tradition has deep roots in the history of wrestling. Dusty has done so much, that fans are still loving him. With Cody beeing an EVP i think it's just fitting that they aren't ignoring that fact and instead are using it to honor the legacy of Dusty Rhodes. And it also helps putting Cody on a new level. I never followed him that much after he left WWE. Basically not until the beginning of the year and the creation of AEW, but he really isn't the same guy anymore. He's a star and everything about him feels like a star. He has a unique oldschool in-ring style, but more importantly he's doing great promos and has charisma. That beeing said it's not only Cody, but others as well, where AEW is doing something right. Look at WWE and look who they build up or actually missed to build up over the last few years, hell even the last decade. AEW needs more time, but already feel a connection to so many of those wrestlers. It's crazy how easy it is to creat a bond to the wrestlers. It took just 4 minutes in a video to understand who Darby Allin is and to cheer for him. One simple video before his match against Cody and i already connected with him. MJF is the next big thing. Luchasaurus is over like almost nobody else and i'm so stunned to check out the views on youtube. Normally Moxley gets the most views and yet during the last episode it was the return of Luchasaurus that got by far the most views on youtube. Was he even a part of dynamite before? If so, than just for a very, very small moment and yet he's over as hell. They are just doing it the right way, something i really missed for such a long time in WWE. They are just easy to cheer for in general, as they are just so open and honest with us fans. The social media stuff they are putting out is fantastic. BTE and especially the room service interviews are simply amazing. The last episode with the Jurassic Express was so interesting and funny. The same for the Joey Janella interview and everything else. Fromt their storys it seems like Tony Khan really is a wrestling nerd, but in a positive way and he seems like a really cool boss. After big events he's taking all the time to address the media and that's something that at least i'm not used to in a mainstream wrestling promotion but that feels really good.

I think they are doing it the right way and they are doing it differently. Especially different to WWE. If i think about it, maybe they are reinventing the wheel actually. Their usage of new media to build up characters and keep involved with fans is something i have never seen before and it's actually not even surprising as the Young Bucks are the first wrestlers who really capitalized from it. I dunno if other promotions did it like that, but i never got the feeling that WWE is doing it the way AEW is doing it now to connect with fans. It might be on an entire new level for a mainstream promotion and most certainly that's the future approach to connect with the fanbase. AEW is doing really good in the demographic. So it's working. The average AEW viewer is about 40 years old. I think the average WWE viewer is 52 years old or something like that and i think that's even just the number of NXT, with the main shows averaging an even older viewership. Maybe it's to far stretched to say they are reinventing the wheel, but that wasn't your question anyways. It's something i came up with, but since you pointed out that they wanted to do it differently. Yeah the absolutely do. In comparison to WWE for sure, but even in general they do have taken some approachs that work out for them.

I don't mind a lot of what they're doing but some is flat out bad. I'll point out some super bad stuff. 

Why is Janela going 20 minute against Omega? Omega is a star. Why couldn't it be a squash or a 5 minute match. 

Why is Marko Stunt a thing? It's embarrassing. 

They have over a year to collect talent yet somehow the roster still feels super thin and I feel like I'm watching the same stuff week in and week out and it's only been what? 6 weeks. 

I'm an AEW fan but some of the stuff they do rubs me the wrong way. It makes me not want to watch.