Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

16 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Isn't the aisle typically on a slope though? I bumped into him at an airport, shook his hand and would guess he's 5'8 at most.

Depends on the location.  Burbank Armory (where this was) is a flat surface the whole way out (legit, the place looks like a slightly larger high school gymnasium).  Like I said, his posture is horrible (he's taken to hunching forward so much over the past 7 years or so; Taker does it a lot too; he's actually taller than Kane is, but Kane has way better posture - probably due to less accumulated injuries).  When he stands up straight, he's about an inch, inch-and-a-half shorter than Christopher Daniels is.  

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

What do you guys think of Hangman Page? I don't think he's anything special.

The blonde Seth Rollins basically. They look alike. They both deliver uninspiring promos. And both can put out great matches, but dont see either ever having that 5* masterpiece to tuck under their belt.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, Bullet Club said:

What do you guys think of Hangman Page? I don't think he's anything special.

Still green.  I like his potential, but I'll be honest, I don't think a cowboy gimmick is getting over in modern wrestling.  I also think them trying to present him as a babyface, while the entire rest of the company seems to work in this "e'erybody's a tweener" gray area is doing him no favors.

On 12/5/2019 at 8:36 PM, The LBC said:

Still green.  I like his potential, but I'll be honest, I don't think a cowboy gimmick is getting over in modern wrestling.  I also think them trying to present him as a babyface, while the entire rest of the company seems to work in this "e'erybody's a tweener" gray area is doing him no favors.

Definitely green but sky's the limit, imo. I think his cowboy stuff is fine and can get over if he's a badass but he comes off as innocent and weak most of the time, like a WWE babyface so totally agreed in that the rest of the company's dispositions hurt him. 

They didn't capitalize on how over he was at Double or Nothin, the PAC match falling through really hurt. Then the Sabian match hurt him as well. But I still can see him as a future face of AEW if they hit on the right buttons

10 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Definitely green but sky's the limit, imo. I think his cowboy stuff is fine and can get over if he's a badass but he comes off as innocent and weak most of the time, like a WWE babyface so totally agreed in that the rest of the company's dispositions hurt him. 

They didn't capitalize on how over he was at Double or Nothin, the PAC match falling through really hurt. Then the Sabian match hurt him as well. But I still can see him as a future face of AEW if they hit on the right buttons

Also, I'm not really convinced that him being on Being the Elite really helped him all that much.  He doesn't have the same personality or even sense of humor that Cody, the Bucks, and Kenny have.  Some guys it helps, some guys it hinders.  Dude could benefit from having a heater/manager in a big way.  Fantasy booking wise, if I could set him up with one mentor (who I think could find a ton of parallels with him and really help him elevate his game) in the business that wouldn't even necessarily need to be a manager, but would still be a great mouthpiece, it would be Shane Douglas.

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, I'm not really convinced that him being on Being the Elite really helped him all that much.  He doesn't have the same personality or even sense of humor that Cody, the Bucks, and Kenny have.  Some guys it helps, some guys it hinders.  Dude could benefit from having a heater/manager in a big way.  Fantasy booking wise, if I could set him up with one mentor (who I think could find a ton of parallels with him and really help him elevate his game) in the business that wouldn't even necessarily need to be a manager, but would still be a great mouthpiece, it would be Shane Douglas.

I really like him as a babyface though and think he's one of the few guys who can get over as a white meat face but man have they missed the mark on him thus far. I really think the Pac debacle at the beginning derailed his momentum. 

But who knows, maybe the only way to get him back on track is to turn him at this point. But if you turn him, you have to put him over. I was thinking maybe he's the first Marty feud but Marty is going over whoever, prolly the bucks in some capacity.

Maybe feed whoever the next somewhat bigger WWE defector is to Page to see if that gains him any traction. 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

I really like him as a babyface though and think he's one of the few guys who can get over as a white meat face but man have they missed the mark on him thus far. I really think the Pac debacle at the beginning derailed his momentum. 

But who knows, maybe the only way to get him back on track is to turn him at this point. But if you turn him, you have to put him over. I was thinking maybe he's the first Marty feud but Marty is going over whoever, prolly the bucks in some capacity.

Maybe feed whoever the next somewhat bigger WWE defector is to Page to see if that gains him any traction. 

I agree he could get over and succeed as a white meat babyface.  I have - and this isn't just me being a jerk about it - serious questions though as to whether AEW's base fans are going to get behind a white meat babyface - or to how well you can get a white meat babyface over when the crowd is also cheering on the heel at the same time.  When he recovers from his current injury and when he comes over (assuming he keeps the Mercenary gimmick), Flip Gordon would be a good feud to build Page up - but again, I fear that, same as would/will likely happen with Marty, fans cheering the heel during his matches against them aren't going to do Hangman any favors.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I agree he could get over and succeed as a white meat babyface.  I have - and this isn't just me being a jerk about it - serious questions though as to whether AEW's base fans are going to get behind a white meat babyface - or to how well you can get a white meat babyface over when the crowd is also cheering on the heel at the same time.  When he recovers from his current injury and when he comes over (assuming he keeps the Mercenary gimmick), Flip Gordon would be a good feud to build Page up - but again, I fear that, same as would/will likely happen with Marty, fans cheering the heel during his matches against them aren't going to do Hangman any favors.

Great point. There's prolly no room for a white meat guy at the top of the card in modern wrestling, period. 

But sounds like we agree the guy to get Page back on track prolly isn't on the roster currently. If they really wanted to go the route of Page leaving the Elite, it could be an interesting heel turn to see him try to go through the Elite one by one until... woop woop, he's actually the newest member of villain enterprises!!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Great point. There's prolly no room for a white meat guy at the top of the card in modern wrestling, period. 

But sounds like we agree the guy to get Page back on track prolly isn't on the roster currently. If they really wanted to go the route of Page leaving the Elite, it could be an interesting heel turn to see him try to go through the Elite one by one until... woop woop, he's actually the newest member of villain enterprises!!!!!! 

I do think there are guys who can get over as a traditional white meat babyface in modern wrestling, but they've got to already have some level of being established already.  For example, I think Cody could do it and is positioned properly to do it right now (but that in itself I think sits an an impetus to Hangman being able to get over in a similar capacity unless its as a Tonto to Cody's Lone Ranger).  I mean, no one's going to get over as a "say your prayers and take your vitamins" Hogan type, but I'd consider babyface Cena to be white meat as they come.  I'm just not sure AEW's biggest target demo won't reactively rebel against someone being put in a prominent position while being booked in a way that has its biggest appeal to kids and women.