Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

Brock probably got paid 250K to run in and climb a ladder.

This PPV was not good, unless the goal was to get people to tune in to AEW.

Mandy Rose booty, Bailey feel good moment, AJ vs SR, and Kevin Owens wrestling in a match were the only good things that happened, besides a couple solid bumps in the men's MITB match. 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

I legit thought they were going for Mandy Rose winning the case with help from Sonya. Build their friendship ala HBK and Diesel, have Mandy win the title with help from Sonya. Build up Mandy's heat and have the classic turn. If done properly boom theres 2 new stars. But they give it to Bayley. 

Only bright spots were Joe, he stayed looking strong in a fluke win. AJ and Rollins match. KO match was good with Kofi. The mens MITB was awesome. Have Lesnar stalk with the case but have McIntyre stalk Lesnar as well and cost him the cash in.

Calling Lesnar's cash-in and subsequent feud:

Rollins (or some other face) vs. Kingston (or some other face) are going at it at Survivor Series this year. Both brand's world champion. After an epic war, Lesnar appears and attacks both men. He cashes in on 1 of them and the other makes the save. Let's say he cashes in on Rollins. Kingston saves the day after getting attacked by Lesnar and that sets up a Brock-Kofi feud.

I don't think Lesnar is gonna be champ again so soon. He's gonna lose the MITB contract match methinks.

9 hours ago, Livewire said:

Entertaining men's MITB match until the music hit.

Agreed, but at the same time, that was a surprise, 100%, so I didn't hate it as much as I might have.

One of the people I was watching with put it well, it was a bad pay per view, minus how Bayley won, until Becky Lynch showed up, and then after that it was a good pay per view. But that first half was so bad, and are they doing a bad ref gimmick?

I can handle a lot of what the WWE does. I mean it's a scripted show that gives me an outlet. Still the way they continue to push Lesnar puzzles me and is absolutely stupid. He must have something on the Mcmahons for them to continue to push him like they do. 

33 minutes ago, tom cody said:

I can handle a lot of what the WWE does. I mean it's a scripted show that gives me an outlet. Still the way they continue to push Lesnar puzzles me and is absolutely stupid. He must have something on the Mcmahons for them to continue to push him like they do. 

Gotta come to terms with Lesnar being a draw for the casual fan and take it for what it is. Hardcore E fans aren’t gonna like it, but it is what it is.

It at the very least was a surprise so I’ll take it 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Gotta come to terms with Lesnar being a draw for the casual fan and take it for what it is. Hardcore E fans aren’t gonna like it, but it is what it is.

It at the very least was a surprise so I’ll take it 

Yup.  People need to quit acting like the world just ended when they don't get perfect booking.  This wasn't a great show, but it was more solid than a lot of people are giving it credit for.  Vince shoots himself in the foot a ton because he makes an in-script to-do too much about "enacting change" and then doesn't go through with it (if he ever even planned to) because both he and fans aren't patient anymore.  If he doesn't get an immediate spike in ratings, he pulls the plug on a plan and goes to a new one.  If fans don't get immediate payoffs, it's appearing more and more, and not just the guys they want push to be pushed but the guys they don't want pushed (whether other, different sects of, fans are behind those guys or not) aren't demoted on the card, if not banished entirely, immediately, hissy fits get thrown.

Any fan who doesn't think that the fans aren't in line for some level of criticism is deluded at this point.  People whine that they want surprises in terms of finishes to matches in how they end and what the end results are.  They get those and they still complain because it wasn't the fantasy booking they had in mind.  WWE isn't ever going to be ROH/NJPW/AEW/PWG; even if/when Hunter eventually gets the reins, the company isn't going to flip a switch and go to the style that's prevalent on the indies.

What hurt this particular card the most, IMO, is that it's the one that now is preceding a show in Saudi Arabia, so where MITB has previously been a next-tier PPV (just below the big 4 in terms of its built-in importance) it's now a feeder show for Super Whateverthehellthey'llcallitthisyear because of the amount of money that the House of Saud has thrown at Vince on a decade-long contract.  Y'all heard it yourselves on the teaser last night: "As big as WrestleMania."  Mania is Vince's BABY, quite possibly as important to him as any of his kids; he's protected that legacy at all costs for years and years, but someone finally found his price.

Part of the reason why they have to keep bringing guys like Lesnar, Goldberg, Taker, and even Hunter back is because they simply don't make out and out stars anymore.  People can crap all over Cena all they want, but there's not a damn person on the roster right now who can hold a candle to having the worldwide stardom he'd achieved in the mid 2000's.  The company (and Vince) hold a lot of blame in that because of Vince's stubbornness in not wanting to pivot from a designed plan (and often times doubling-down instead), but a lot of guys aren't necessarily connecting in the ability to reach the poles (being loved or being legitimately hated - as opposed to hated for the push that they're getting).  I actually think the Network and the amount of original programming that shows the talent out of character (both on WWE Network and on YouTube) contributes to this.  It goes a step beyond breaking kayfabe and shows you what could be if these guys would bring forward parts of their natural personalities into their characters (and it's not just the script that prevents them from doing that - it's a fear of losing the current comfort that they have).