Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

also just a reminder for those of us that are bored of netflix:

tubitv has all 4 seasons of lucha undrground for free and they've got a channel on roku, so i'm assuming other streaming devices will also offer tubitv 

I think it's a shame there's a stigma around lu because it's a really great product. they made a lot of people and deserve more credit. 

plus it's just worth watching to see how badass pentagon jr looked at one point 

Edited by Troy Brown

On 3/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Deadpulse said:

Truth, when that ish first went viral I was thinking, its this BS that makes people rag on wrestling fans. Then after some time it became, yea, this is wrestling LOL

Agree to disagree.  It was moderately acceptable in TNA because people stopped taking TNA seriously 10 years ago.  But if WWE had made its top stars like Cena or Brock put over stuff like the pyro being controlled by telekinesis the way Cody and Jericho were, people still wouldn't have shut up for all the complaining they'd be doing.

AEW is shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka doing this.  People wanted an alternative to WWE from them as a brand, not for them to just do a new spin on the stupid comedy crap that WWE did/does with your "credible" commentator putting it over (seriously, this was cringe-worthy Schiavone stuff we haven't seen since Warrior was in the mirror or the Yet-ay was humping Hogan).

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 2:57 AM, Troy Brown said:

also just a reminder for those of us that are bored of netflix:

tubitv has all 4 seasons of lucha undrground for free and they've got a channel on roku, so i'm assuming other streaming devices will also offer tubitv 

I think it's a shame there's a stigma around lu because it's a really great product. they made a lot of people and deserve more credit. 

plus it's just worth watching to see how badass pentagon jr looked at one point 

To the post I just made above, Chris DeJoseph understood how to book and present "supernatural" stuff in wrestling.  The Hardy stuff is poor facsimile of this.

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

AEW just botched Lance Archer debut vs Marko Stunt. Every time AEW seems like they are doing something good, they botch it

I mean, like what else? I agree the Archer match vs Stunt was lame, but I don't think it hurts Archer at all. 

I don't mind the Hardy stuff. Think it suffered from a lack of a crowd more than anything but I didn't dislike it. I also love all the Brodie Lee stuff. I also think right now is a perfect time for a tournament and even moreso, a secondary title. 

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

To the post I just made above, Chris DeJoseph understood how to book and present "supernatural" stuff in wrestling.  The Hardy stuff is poor facsimile of this.

Well, LU as an entity feels like it existed outside of wrestling and it's certainly a tough comparison. 

I make this post because I don't think AEW has to be an extreme alternative to WWE, I don't mind them doing similar things, but consistency and creativity is obviously needed in WWEs product and if AEW can provide those key things, then I'm all for it. 

8 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean, like what else? I agree the Archer match vs Stunt was lame, but I don't think it hurts Archer at all. 

I don't mind the Hardy stuff. Think it suffered from a lack of a crowd more than anything but I didn't dislike it. I also love all the Brodie Lee stuff. I also think right now is a perfect time for a tournament and even moreso, a secondary title. 

The bearded VKM stuff looks pretty cool from the videos I've seen.  I haven't watched AEW since the first show.  I really wasn't impressed.  It just seemed WWE-lite to me, and I get that enough from trying to keep up with all things WWE.  They didn't do enough to differentiate themselves for me to come back.  

49 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The bearded VKM stuff looks pretty cool from the videos I've seen.  I haven't watched AEW since the first show.  I really wasn't impressed.  It just seemed WWE-lite to me, and I get that enough from trying to keep up with all things WWE.  They didn't do enough to differentiate themselves for me to come back.  

Gotta look at it like an expansion team. When they formed. 98% of wrestlers with any name were under contract somewhere. So they started by taking what they could get. As the months have rolled along. Theyve been gathering nicely once those contracts were up.

And sure theres some flippity doo daa, no selling whatsoever, "Ill stand here and wait 5 mins to catch a guy doing a spot", video game level nonsense happening with some of the workers. But for every one of those. There are equally as many high quality, well worked matches. Check out Jungle Boy vs MJF, or nearly any Cody or MJF match.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, american pro wrestling will always be american pro wrestling. a New Japan style promotion ain't gonna get a prime time spot. Lucha Underground didn't get a primetime spot. Actually, maybe they did but I don't even know what carriers provide el rey. 

If you ever wanted to see the difference between AEW and WWE, you'd have to find a summary of Adam Page vs the Young Bucks because for my money, it's the best done american storyline in years culminating (well, it's still going) in what a lot of people consider to be one of, if the not the best,  tag team match in american history. 

Cody's silver spoon promo to Jericho and the 10 lashes segment, imo, are also defining moments in what makes AEW different than WWE. It's simply the consistency in their storytelling, they book 2-3 weeks out for big moments. They give themselves big shows on TV to build towards instead of trying to "hot shot" most feuds. They are also building what feels like an "AEW universe" where the roster actually interacts with each other on a weekly basis instead of just when they're feuding so you see a good amount of interwoven story type stuff. 

I get it, I'm a mark and I like the product but I also feel what I say here is more true than not. What I'm getting at is I don't think WWE is bad because it's WWE. I think WWE is bad because they're lethargic and Vince is out of touch. WWE has every resource to be incredible. It feels like WWE gets a 10 point lead in the 1st quarter and proceeds to protect it like it's a 4 TD lead and runs the ball every play while playing prevent defense and ends up losing and their coach doesn't have an explanation as to why. 

Edited by Troy Brown
  • Like 2