Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

RETRIBUTION was botched weeks ago, they are just digging the ditch deeper each week afterward. 

Part of this, and a larger part than I think people want to give credit to because they want to crucify Vince (for good reasons), is very much on Bruce Prichard, because Bruce knows exactly how to rile Vince up and, for lack of a better word, to play Vince like a fiddle.  That last bit actually frustrates me more because it illustrates that he knows the old man has lost the plot and can be influenced, if done correctly, but pushes stuff that only serves to keep himself in power.  There are real world parallels that I could make here but they'd violate site rules, so I'll leave it at that.

Where this is going to hurt more in the long run is that they're going to devalue the talent by having them associated with crappy gimmick names before a main roster audience gets to know them under their kayfabe name.  Vince, we already know, despite the irony that he places so much stock in "owning" their gimmick name, has a terrible habit of treating that gimmick name like crap ("because we can always just repackage them with a new name, pal.").  And while I don't think that, as much as I'm fans of their off-camera for their Twitch stuff, Dio Madden and Shane Thorne are going to amount to much beyond perennial midcarder status, they're running a razor's edge at "Husky Harris-ing" the likes of Dijak, Mercedes Martinez, and Mia Yim who actually could have legit futures and who are using kayfabe names that aren't that far removed from their real names.  It's effectively taking someone like Dijak who had a tremendous ceiling - even factoring Vince in - because of his size and look and making him now to project to be little more than a slightly better talking (because he showing when he gets Vince's forced scripts, it sinks his natural personality like quicksand) Baron Corbin.

Rest assured, they're not done either.  As formulaic and predictable with these "invasion" angles as Vince and Bruce are, I'd bet dollars to donuts that we'll end up seeing a new, "bigger man" addition to Retribution be brought in within a month in the form of whatever ridiculous nickname they decide to give Killian Dain.

It's still baffling to me that so many of the things Vince "values" are also the things he treats the worst.  He loves that they're presenting as cinematic, as their own studio type brand, that they have "real television writers," and yet he fails to grasp - or has forgotten or just totally discarded - that professional wrestling when booked properly (and he used to do it, that's the frightening part) does what narrative writers are told not to do: Start from the end, knowing what you want specifically from the climax and resolution and then work backwards.  Instead we're getting a slew of products of a brainstorming meeting (and a mixed bag, but that's most brainstorming meetings) that get run with to see where they go, they try to force/power through the first instances of writers block by putting something on page (except in writing you do this with the knowledge that you'll be able to go back and edit/re-write before publishing), and then when the writer's block causes a popcorn fart where it's just not as exciting or impassioned to have you writing the story as you once were, you just leave it lying around incomplete and move onto the next brainstormed idea (except, again, in writing, this is all just on page where few have seen it so you can always come back band revisit it - aired TV works much differently).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m not bashing it too harshly , I do think there is room for that kinda stuff, I just don’t think top level guys ( like Santana and Ortiz, for some people Trent) should do . 

I’m all for humor spots in shows, however if it’s over done , it’s a big problem . 

I don't think it's overly done. I didn't really even think while watching these guys fight over the last few weeks, that it was over Santana/Ortiz destroying Sue's van. And it ended in what some people are calling one of the best street fights of all time. 

Gotta be one of the wildest matches to ever be on cable

11 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I don't think it's overly done. I didn't really even think while watching these guys fight over the last few weeks, that it was over Santana/Ortiz destroying Sue's van. And it ended in what some people are calling one of the best street fights of all time. 

Im half with you, half with Rainmaker.

Destroying the minivan, the fight and leaving after is okay for some of the upper guys to pull off. But the flip side. The Inner Circle has been the butt of every joke this year. With the Bucks, Hardy, Mox, Orange and Best Friends. They started out a great group to build a classic powerhouse off of. Though while I enjoyed the match. As far as Inner Circle is concerned. Its been beyond too much for a while now. And theyve become a joke group that can never be taken serious. That piles on with never winning a match unless its a random tag match with Jericho involved. Tired of it because they had so much potential with the group. Yet they chose to flush it all away. For me it has hurt the overall product.

6 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im half with you, half with Rainmaker.

Destroying the minivan, the fight and leaving after is okay for some of the upper guys to pull off. But the flip side. The Inner Circle has been the butt of every joke this year. With the Bucks, Hardy, Mox, Orange and Best Friends. They started out a great group to build a classic powerhouse off of. Though while I enjoyed the match. As far as Inner Circle is concerned. Its been beyond too much for a while now. And theyve become a joke group that can never be taken serious. That piles on with never winning a match unless its a random tag match with Jericho involved. Tired of it because they had so much potential with the group. Yet they chose to flush it all away. For me it has hurt the overall product.

Yeah I do think Santana/Ortiz need to start winning matches but I don't think they should have won this one, it was taylor made for a baby to come out on top. Still heated that private party beat them at fyter fest, though. 

13 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I guess I’m not a fan of humor in payoffs.  I think it should be secondary to seriousness.

Jericho and Cassidy was perfect imo, despite the Mimosa match being silly. The feud had its humor points, but it didn’t overshadow the  feud.