Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

Idk what the plan is with Cody but man, he is stale. He's gonna be a great heel because everyone is already sick of him even after he's been gone for weeks.  Really thought he was gonna go over tonight. 

Still would like to see them figure a way out of Cody's world title ban when he is a full blown heel. He's just straight up Nick Aldis right now 

1 hour ago, Troy Brown said:

Idk what the plan is with Cody but man, he is stale. He's gonna be a great heel because everyone is already sick of him even after he's been gone for weeks.  Really thought he was gonna go over tonight. 

Still would like to see them figure a way out of Cody's world title ban when he is a full blown heel. He's just straight up Nick Aldis right now 

Cody is basically aews Jeff Jarrett. No one cared about him one way or another either but he kept getting shoved down our throats in wcw and aew. Aew really needs to be careful with what they do with him going forward or their ratings will tank during his matches like they did for JJ. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Right but a Danielson omega match could have headlined a PPV. I’m sure it will at some point but you’d think the first time they touch in aew they’d build up to it and make you pay for it. 

The vast majority of people are even more excited to see them lace up again now that they've been given that tease. It did its job.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

DB shows up saying hes after titles. Worked amazing with Omega last night. We get this feud to maybe lead into the Page/Omega collision.

If all this builds into the Page OWA kickout and victory. I will rank this buildup and story up there with Steamboat/Flair Chicago.

Speaking of Steamboat...that dude gets super underrated as an all time worker. Dude could still go at 57 after a 15 year break.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Cody is basically aews Jeff Jarrett. No one cared about him one way or another either but he kept getting shoved down our throats in wcw and aew. Aew really needs to be careful with what they do with him going forward or their ratings will tank during his matches like they did for JJ. 

Idk I disagree, Cody was huge in Japan and ROH and was a driving force in AEW's birth. He was the most over guy on the card their first handful of shows but taking him out of the title picture neutered his personality 

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Right but a Danielson omega match could have headlined a PPV. I’m sure it will at some point but you’d think the first time they touch in aew they’d build up to it and make you pay for it. 

I guess that's also the thing: they have so many dream matches that could headline PPVs right now

6 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

can yall imagine if anyone but page kicks out of the owa? 

Im in Virginia. The wrestling fans around me I talk too. This is the BIGGEST thing in the history of wrestling.

Page in this state might as well be Punk in Illinois right now. Its, "OUR BOY is going to do this and take his title." And its fantastic. People excited about wrestling again.

10 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

can yall imagine if anyone but page kicks out of the owa? 

No

Big Mistake if a guy like punk, danielson or christian were to do it. It needs to be Page if not him i dont know who else it could be, maybe if they build Jungle boy or Sammy enough, or hell even Eddie if they ever go back to NY. But Page should be first and probably only one to ever do it.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 2:23 AM, Troy Brown said:

Idk I disagree, Cody was huge in Japan and ROH and was a driving force in AEW's birth. He was the most over guy on the card their first handful of shows but taking him out of the title picture neutered his personality 

I think the relevant thing to consider here is that Cody is suffering from the fact that he is (and probably will always be) seen as a tag-along into the Elite and the BC guys... and as long as they keep bringing in more former ROH/NJPW BC members, he's going to continue to be seen as that.

There's a part of me that suspects that even if he's flipped heel there will be a segment of the crowd that is going to be against him because he's not one of the popular part of the kliq and so they'll hyper-focus on him being an EVP and putting himself in prominence, while shining the fact that the other EVP's (and Jericho) have done the same for longer.  Effectively Cody is in Miz territory right now - and him doing the Go Big show and the (let's call it what it is... "Miz and Mrs. ripoff") reality show aren't helping dissuade from that.  Personally, I think he's also catching some secondary heat from him and his position probably being the only reason why QT is getting any TV time (and no just exclusively on Dark).

He's basically the guy that is a good worker who is put in with any new talent they're trying to do a quick elevation with, but who - by the way they've booked him dating back since pretty much the beginning - you know isn't going to go over in the feud by the end of it even if he is the babyface.  Honestly if he is going to get flipped to heel that may be the best swerve to pull it off - book him against a guy you present as a badass heel coming in but who can work as a babyface and has the physical gifts to not lose too much steam/momentum if he loses to Cody if/when Cody goes over underhandedly.  Although it might make his character redundant of Moxley's, this could be done with KO when (because there's no doubt at this point it'll happen) he gets to AEW.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:23 AM, Troy Brown said:

Idk I disagree, Cody was huge in Japan and ROH and was a driving force in AEW's birth. He was the most over guy on the card their first handful of shows but taking him out of the title picture neutered his personality 

In ROH, yes. Japan he really wasn’t huge. He doesnt have the work rate that you need in Japan. 

I thought he’d struggle some. Cody is old school and The Bucks and their fans are the exact opposite. they couldn’t be more opposite. 

I think Cody has done a lot wrong. 

1. He comes off as an executive Vice President more so as a wrestler at times. When he talks to you it sounds like a VP selling something to you . 

2. he inserts himself into everything, he and Brandi. Sometimes he has multiple feuds at a time . He gets the newest guys , and they’re very strange storylines . Ogogo, Shaw, QT, Penta all came out of nowhere and we’re flat weird. The Ogogo promo is one of the weirdest promos I have ever heard. 

3. The outside projects. Go Big Show, Rhodes to the Top, he was on that stupid chicken wing show, idt wrestling fans like that. I think they’re sensitive that their favorite wrestlers are leaving , most wrestlers don’t live their gimmick which many fans hate, they’re not good actors etc. it’s like he wants to be a celebrity instead of a wrestler. Hell, he talks about running for Senate!

4. Despite all of that nobody can take him seriously because of that ridiculous neck tattoo. 

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

In ROH, yes. Japan he really wasn’t huge. He doesnt have the work rate that you need in Japan. 

I thought he’d struggle some. Cody is old school and The Bucks and their fans are the exact opposite. they couldn’t be more opposite. 

I think Cody has done a lot wrong. 

1. He comes off as an executive Vice President more so as a wrestler at times. When he talks to you it sounds like a VP selling something to you . 

2. he inserts himself into everything, he and Brandi. Sometimes he has multiple feuds at a time . He gets the newest guys , and they’re very strange storylines . Ogogo, Shaw, QT, Penta all came out of nowhere and we’re flat weird. The Ogogo promo is one of the weirdest promos I have ever heard. 

3. The outside projects. Go Big Show, Rhodes to the Top, he was on that stupid chicken wing show, idt wrestling fans like that. I think they’re sensitive that their favorite wrestlers are leaving , most wrestlers don’t live their gimmick which many fans hate, they’re not good actors etc. it’s like he wants to be a celebrity instead of a wrestler. Hell, he talks about running for Senate!

4. Despite all of that nobody can take him seriously because of that ridiculous neck tattoo. 

I agree with a lot of this. Cody's in a weird spot. He only ascended in The Elite because Adam Cole went to NXT. BTE was clearly setting up the Cole/Omega power struggle but when Cole left they used Cody in the role instead (and it worked). He blew up as the guy WWE wasted, and a really ambitious guy who played a huge role in All In.

Then AEW comes along and he's an EVP. It started out great for him because he put on a classic with Dustin, and then had an awesome feud with Jericho. He was the traditional wrestler a lot of fans wanted as opposed to the Indy style, and he was delivering, and was super over for AEW's first few months. Over time he's thrown it all away. The focus he's given himself (his TNT reign getting more attention and Main Events than Mox's AEW reign was ridiculous, and he was always the guy new debuts showed up to face), and the amount of overbooking he's had has really turned people on him.

Then there is the nepotism factor. The Nightmare Factory, Brandi, Dustin (for a little bit), QT, etc. all getting priority or consistent booking above their talent levels has really soured people on him. Of all the EVP's he's the only one who actually comes off as one instead of a wrestler at this point. The Bucks brought a ref, and a jobber to AEW. Kenny brought a jobber, and some female talent to AEW. The Elite brought Adam Cole to AEW. Cody brought a jobber except he gets regularly booked and isn't booked as a jobber. That plus the outside bookings really do make it seem like he wants to be a celebrity where Kenny & The Bucks don't come off that way at all.

Where does he even fit in now? Bryan, Punk, Omega, Mox, and Jericho are all undoubtedly above him in the pecking order. MJF, and Page are definitely bigger cornerstones going forward. He's good to have but his whole thing for the last few years is making himself seem to be a huge deal every time he comes on screen. That doesn't really work when you're the 8th? biggest star on the show, and have one foot in Hollywood.

13 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I agree with a lot of this. Cody's in a weird spot. He only ascended in The Elite because Adam Cole went to NXT. BTE was clearly setting up the Cole/Omega power struggle but when Cole left they used Cody in the role instead (and it worked). He blew up as the guy WWE wasted, and a really ambitious guy who played a huge role in All In.

Then AEW comes along and he's an EVP. It started out great for him because he put on a classic with Dustin, and then had an awesome feud with Jericho. He was the traditional wrestler a lot of fans wanted as opposed to the Indy style, and he was delivering, and was super over for AEW's first few months. Over time he's thrown it all away. The focus he's given himself (his TNT reign getting more attention and Main Events than Mox's AEW reign was ridiculous, and he was always the guy new debuts showed up to face), and the amount of overbooking he's had has really turned people on him.

Then there is the nepotism factor. The Nightmare Factory, Brandi, Dustin (for a little bit), QT, etc. all getting priority or consistent booking above their talent levels has really soured people on him. Of all the EVP's he's the only one who actually comes off as one instead of a wrestler at this point. The Bucks brought a ref, and a jobber to AEW. Kenny brought a jobber, and some female talent to AEW. The Elite brought Adam Cole to AEW. Cody brought a jobber except he gets regularly booked and isn't booked as a jobber. That plus the outside bookings really do make it seem like he wants to be a celebrity where Kenny & The Bucks don't come off that way at all.

Where does he even fit in now? Bryan, Punk, Omega, Mox, and Jericho are all undoubtedly above him in the pecking order. MJF, and Page are definitely bigger cornerstones going forward. He's good to have but his whole thing for the last few years is making himself seem to be a huge deal every time he comes on screen. That doesn't really work when you're the 8th? biggest star on the show, and have one foot in Hollywood.

What do you think would be the best way for him to turn heel and keep heat?