Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Am I watching someone else when I was Banks because I don't get this. Yes, she's had some epic matches due to the push of Women's wrestling but she botches **** all the time. She's good but she's not that good.

https://www.iwnerd.com/wwe-womens-matches-best-meltzer-ratings/2/

She makes a lot of appearances on this list...

You can say meltzer isn't the authority if you want, but the consistency is telling alone. Sure she botches, everyone botches. Sasha no more than anyone else. 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:51 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Sasha and Naomi walked out Raw last night.   I thought for sure it was a work but it was legit.

Well, I mean... when Johnny's convinced you can just order more girls/divas from a bikini model catalog...

The Dirty Old Man brigade (Vince, Johnny Ace, and Bruce) don't give a toss about the women's division, except for the T&A and how they can turn a buck off exploiting posturing like they're progressive when they're not.  They're getting Bruce-booked right now (or at least Bruce has Vince's ear on this, I'd put money on it) because this is trademark Prichard "you got your two stars and no one's going to beat them, so why should you care about the credibility of anyone other than those two stars?" logic.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:15 PM, Jeezla said:

It was definitely a dumb creative decision to put the tag champs in the match, but is Naomi going to improve her situation? Got to work with her husband and probably made considerably more than AEW/Impact will pay her. Sasha can join Star Wars or do some other hollywood stuff. Naomi can...dance in rap videos? Seems to me like Naomi just wanted to be a good homie, so she co-signed Sasha's grievances at the expense of her own employment, but maybe Naomi had been unhappy for a while.

There have been multiple reports with quotes from Jimmy that Naomi has been chomping at the bit for a chance at inclusion in the Bloodline (I mean, it's a main event stable and she's - somewhat - organically attached, can you blame her?), so burying the credibility of your tag team champions for an also-ran arena show (because let's face it, outside of the gimmick match that's what HIAC as a "PPV" is and has been for a while now) does harm to her brand within the company.

The way they went about it and carried it out, probably not the smartest, but at the same time, Sasha knows her worth, knows who she has in her court backing her that has influence (not stroke or decision-making power, but capable of bending Vince's ear), and is smart enough to realize to strike while the iron is hot when you've had enough signs that you were, at the very least, in Vince's good graces recently (getting a special entrance at Mania is typically a pretty good sign of this) so you're going to be forgiven missteps if you, for lack of a better phrase, "cross the boss."

• Like 1

Also, last night made it apparent why Serena Deeb was always one of those performers who needed a mouthpiece; fantastic worker in the ring, but awkward as hell on the stick.  Toni's not the greatest and likely isn't going to be given long spaces to cut intricate promos any time soon, but outside of Britt, Ruby, and - to a large degree... her shortcomings are masked by the thickness of her accent so she's fine - Thunder Rosa, AEW has a dearth of quality promos in its women's division.  Jade is improving on the mic, but she's still largely a hit-n-run type where she can deliver one-liners and short, scripted paragraphs, but if she goes longer than that she loses a lot of her conviction because you can tell she's trying to remember either what she's supposed to say or think of something appropriate to say.

• 2 weeks later...

An hour in, Double or Nothing has been pretty darn good. (Other than B/R being awful)

Glad MJF worked everyone

Hardys/Bucks went alittle long, but what a crazy Steel Steps Swonton

and while I’m glad Athena (Ember) is in AEW now, that could have and should have a much better introduction 

Man Jeff hardy looks done. And honestly he’s the only one to blame for it. He should have changed his style to a more ground based attack years ago. His style was completely unsustainable. He’s gonna get someone else hurt now since he’s like 3 steps behind what he use to be and still tries to do the same moves. 

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Man Jeff hardy looks done. And honestly he’s the only one to blame for it. He should have changed his style to a more ground based attack years ago. His style was completely unsustainable. He’s gonna get someone else hurt now since he’s like 3 steps behind what he use to be and still tries to do the same moves. 

Yeah, the Bucks made them look completely washed.

I'm really bummed about this MJF stuff. The bidding war storyline would be gold in 2023.

21 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

You cant really have the Hardy's if they are both grounded. Matt pulled off Broken well, but in the ring it was more of the barely believable stiff-legged stuff. So sure Jeff could have done something solo with less harm to his body, but would it have sold much? Doubt it. There was always an expiration date here, and Im shocked it has lasted this long. 

Its unfortunate that AEW cant get out of their Nostalgia-focused way. It was a bummer to watch that match knowing that FTR was just sitting around

Still say the Steel Steps Swanton on Sunday was a crazy spot though

I'm convinced at this point that Jericho is actually trying to be the Vince Russo of AEW.  Leeches off anyone with any decent heat to keep himself in the spotlight, steals any gimmick he can (and performs it awfully even though he, of anyone in the company, should have the best knowledge of how to execute them), and makes a point of putting himself - specifically - over whoever the most-over is for, what seems like, nothing more than his own personal gratification.

And then you listen to him in the presser and he acts like he's just reinvented the wheel and his ideas are the industry redefining.

Genuinely, go away, Old Man.  You've surpassed Hogan in terms of being unable to read the room and you're parody at this point.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If hes really getting paid as little as some are saying, I dont blame him one bit though. 

He got a bumper from the contract that he signed coming out of MLW (which pays like absolute crap, for the record), but then Tony went out and backed up Brinks trucks for Punk and Danielson (understandably)... and Cole, and Andrade, etc.

Max kayfabes a lot (he's one of the few that still do) but he's also industry-smart enough to know that he's not going to burn his prime earning years earning less than he feels he deserves, or knows his value to be.  And, right now, he's one of the top heels (actual heel, who does what heels are supposed to do in wrestling) in the business (not AEW, the entire business), second only to Roman - and Roman's tenure and exposure are most of what's putting Roman over the top right now.

He also knows (without even having to talk to their rep) that Vince will drop massive dime to sign him up - especially if someone has actually shown Vince his work - because he has that quality that Vince has perennially always looked for that got labeled "grabbing the brass right," he just does it.  He doesn't ask permission, he just does.  And dear Lord, if Heyman has any small part of Vince's ear still, he's got to be frothing at the mouth to bring Max into the company - and would no doubt sell him to VKM as the 2nd-coming of Nick Bockwinkle (assuming Vince isn't too senile at this point to remember Bockwinkle and the work he did for Vince's dad and the money he drew in the late 70's in his cross-promotion program with Bob Backlund; Vince shouldn't because it was that money that laid the early seed for WrestleMania I).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

He got a bumper from the contract that he signed coming out of MLW (which pays like absolute crap, for the record), but then Tony went out and backed up Brinks trucks for Punk and Danielson (understandably)... and Cole, and Andrade, etc.

Max kayfabes a lot (he's one of the few that still do) but he's also industry-smart enough to know that he's not going to burn his prime earning years earning less than he feels he deserves, or knows his value to be.  And, right now, he's one of the top heels (actual heel, who does what heels are supposed to do in wrestling) in the business (not AEW, the entire business), second only to Roman - and Roman's tenure and exposure are most of what's putting Roman over the top right now.

He also knows (without even having to talk to their rep) that Vince will drop massive dime to sign him up - especially if someone has actually shown Vince his work - because he has that quality that Vince has perennially always looked for that got labeled "grabbing the brass right," he just does it.  He doesn't ask permission, he just does.  And dear Lord, if Heyman has any small part of Vince's ear still, he's got to be frothing at the mouth to bring Max into the company - and would no doubt sell him to VKM as the 2nd-coming of Nick Bockwinkle (assuming Vince isn't too senile at this point to remember Bockwinkle and the work he did for Vince's dad and the money he drew in the late 70's in his cross-promotion program with Bob Backlund; Vince shouldn't because it was that money that laid the early seed for WrestleMania I).

I can't imagine Max is anywhere near his prime. He's going to be an all time great barring any injuries, he's only 25. I don't mind him wanting more money and I like this drama he's creating but my only point with your post is there's no way this is his prime 

Man MJF really might be the best professional wrestler in the world. He's that good. I can't wait to see where this goes. 

Since Punk gets Tanahashi, I'm thinking Danielson gets Okada. I really hope Kenny makes it back in time to face someone.