Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

19 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

They could have ran an angle where Moxley is purposely causing havoc by threatening not to show up to sabotage the new company because hes from the old company. Could have kicked off AEW on TNT with stable vs stable. Elite vs a stable of Moxley, Pac, Shawn Spears with Jericho joining later. In the end it doesnt fit Moxleys character so it is what it is. Why give em your best possible storyline from the get go. 

Seems not so long ago that people were pining for original/fresh content & ideas and yet all I seem to see from people is suggestions of just rebooting old WCW/ECW angles.

Frankly, I find find stable wars boring as hell.  Stables aren't bad, but the beauty of the heyday of stables (i.e. the Horsemen, the Dangers Alliance, etc.), the stable was a source of power that made the heels this insurmountable force to overcome.  Would there be a team of babyfaces that would align (Stinger's Squadron or when Dusty became an unofficial Road Warrior) to take on the stable?  Sure, but that was a temporary alliance for the purposes of storyline.

DX vs the Nation was, in my opinion, a needle in a haystack type situation that was driven by outstanding promo artists on both sides.  Again, the rose-colored glasses, people seem to have forgotten about the utter crap that was the Corporation vs The Union, Los Boriquas vs DOA vs the Nation (which was a low point for the Nation), the nWo rainbow coalition years, the Filthy Animals vs the Revolution (great matches - and some of Eddie's best shtick - but painful storylines), the Mexicools and Juvy's riding lawnmower...

New Japan is the best example for how to manage stables these days - and that's to downplay them, they don't really become part of the storyline unless they're intra-stable, and instead they're just kind of like the topping or the sprinkles on an sundae as opposed to the ice cream.

Mostly every feud or storyline is a rehash of what someone else already did. It's like in the movies. Most movie scripts have already been made before. They're just different takes on it by different people and actors and actresses. Most movies go over because of the performances by those said actors and actresses and the directors. Same as with wrestling feuds. They go over because of the performances, booking and writing. 

38 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Mostly every feud or storyline is a rehash of what someone else already did. It's like in the movies. Most movie scripts have already been made before. They're just different takes on it by different people and actors and actresses. Most movies go over because of the performances by those said actors and actresses and the directors. Same as with wrestling feuds. They go over because of the performances, booking and writing. 

They're variations on a theme, but they're not seemingly blatant ripoffs which is what a lot of folks seem to be calling for when they call for stable wars.  The stable war itself tends to come off as more important than a logical or organic storyline that creates a reason for it.  Like I said, NJPW is doing stables (more like factions or "training teams") where veterans bring their young boys through the faction) the right way, which is also particularly original where western promotions are concerned.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:32 AM, The LBC said:

They're variations on a theme, but they're not seemingly blatant ripoffs which is what a lot of folks seem to be calling for when they call for stable wars.  The stable war itself tends to come off as more important than a logical or organic storyline that creates a reason for it.  Like I said, NJPW is doing stables (more like factions or "training teams") where veterans bring their young boys through the faction) the right way, which is also particularly original where western promotions are concerned.

You could still have stable wars and not be the typical tag team match for a PPV. If build correctly they could have 2 singles matches and one tag match one PPV then the typical tag match between all competitors and then a pick your best and we'll pick our best to end all be all. But to each their own. I for one have always been a fan of stable 

4 hours ago, Edge said:

All Out was absolutely amazing. Great matches and everybody will find something to love about. They offered oldschool matches, technical matches, spotfests, hardcore and puro wrestling.

If we are looking for a wrestling war its gonna be between NXT and AEW. Both shows will want to try and out produce the other show and I already love it. Both promotions are ran mostly by ex wrestlers who are in charge. Knowing the egos of wrestlers, they wont like it when one out does the other. Just hope for WWE that Vince doesnt get involved with NXT but I think he wont. Not with the XFL coming soon

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, Edge said:

All Out was absolutely amazing. Great matches and everybody will find something to love about. They offered oldschool matches, technical matches, spotfests, hardcore and puro wrestling.

The Omega v PAC match was great but faltered at the end. Cody v Spears match while it started off hot I lost interest midway through. Still need to finish the rest

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

The Omega v PAC match was great but faltered at the end. Cody v Spears match while it started off hot I lost interest midway through. Still need to finish the rest

I liked a lot of these matches, but especially Omega vs Pac, the Cracker Barrel Clash, Riho vs Hikaru Shida (i really like her) and the Ladder match.

I didn't watch the whole show. Just parts here and there. I did the same last week too. Was it just me or were the crowds bad? Part of the allure for wrestling is how good the crowds are and I think it's something they need to take into account. I might be off but the hype makes the segments and matches why better.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

I didn't watch the whole show. Just parts here and there. I did the same last week too. Was it just me or were the crowds bad? Part of the allure for wrestling is how good the crowds are and I think it's something they need to take into account. I might be off but the hype makes the segments and matches why better.

How are the crowds bad?

If youre at a football game. And youre team is down by 30. Youre getting a dead crowd. But when the games played close and is hard fought, crowds are electric.

I agree crowds up the hype, excitement and such of a match. But what WWEs doing isnt drawing it out of them. Look at the OC last night. Have a boring contract signing, then OC comes out, Crowd goes crazy for AJ. So they (yet again) make fools of the OC. If this was 1996, the OC would have worked the 3 on 2 advantage and destroyed the goodguys to help build something. Today its, "Oh look. A Baddie.... Squash!... Ok baddie gone."

• Like 1