Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 AM, The LBC said:

Vince isn't going to run the Jon Moxley gimmick and Dean isn't going to give him the trademark on that name without a MASSIVE (like Godfather-type) payout.  Also, the video he posted on Twitter had blood in it, WWE isn't going to do something like that.  It's wishful thinking.

It doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to AEW (I'd still bet on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does a Cody-style run of the indies first, knowing that AEW is going to be there at least a year down the line), but the video very well could have been a throw-in of something put together by the same production group Christian's movie is working with (because I don't believe it's through a WWE Studios company).

If/when he does ever come back to WWE, it will be as Dean Ambrose, because that's the trademarked name that Vince owns.

I get your point, but not necessarily. Vince doesn't own all the names if they're a draw. Look at Punk, Jericho, Styles, etc etc. If you're a draw, you're an exception to the rule. I could totally see Ambrose returning under the Moxley name IF Fox does indeed make WWE go back to TV14 or whatever.

I also hope this AEW hype doesn't ruin the moment when they come. With all this attention and hype, I hope it isn't a letdown which will cripple it because of social media marks, lol. I'm just ready for them to display the championships and use them correctly. 

Too much hype can be a bad thing if they do t deliver on a weekly basis. Running shows every few months is easy. Having to run shows on a weekly basis could spell them doom. Imagine getting all this hype and after the first show it goes downhill. 

I stopped watching the E until they fire Lars. If they fired Hogan for private comments he made then they need to fire Lars for the PUBLIC comments he made

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I get your point, but not necessarily. Vince doesn't own all the names if they're a draw. Look at Punk, Jericho, Styles, etc etc. If you're a draw, you're an exception to the rule. I could totally see Ambrose returning under the Moxley name IF Fox does indeed make WWE go back to TV14 or whatever.

I also hope this AEW hype doesn't ruin the moment when they come. With all this attention and hype, I hope it isn't a letdown which will cripple it because of social media marks, lol. I'm just ready for them to display the championships and use them correctly. 

You're arguing a moot point.  Punk, Jericho, Styles were all draws before Vince could get his hands on them; and we actually don't know that AJ didn't view his jump to WWE as a likely permanent (last of his career) one where he wasn't above selling the trademark on his ring name to Vince in exchange for more money and other contractual assurances.

Those situations, however, are apples to oranges where Jon is concerned.  Vince does own a trademark on a character/ring-name of Jon's, so there's absolutely no reason Vince wouldn't use that.

Also, the notion that FOX would force WWE to go back to a type of TV-14 that would feature/require Jon's Moxley character from CZW doesn't hold water.  FOX went after WWE (ESPN even put in a bid, but they couldn't come close to an agreement on logistics stuffs) because there's a premium on live SPORTS programming right now.  Even if they were to use more foul language it would still be censored (it's primetime network TV, the censors don't even get dropped on paid-cable stations on the occasions they do get dropped until after midnight) and the crux of the Moxley character was more in the violent behavior, which the hardcore stuff detracts from the presentation of a sports program.

Reality is, despite the money that it brings, the WWE/FOX marriage is doomed anyway and likely ends with some sort of already-baked-in divorce option wherein FOX has the obvious ability to pull WWE programming off the flagship network if the ratings aren't suitable but if it's pulled from the flagship network WWE has an opt-out option that can be triggered.

6 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Too much hype can be a bad thing if they do t deliver on a weekly basis. Running shows every few months is easy. Having to run shows on a weekly basis could spell them doom. Imagine getting all this hype and after the first show it goes downhill. 

I stopped watching the E until they fire Lars. If they fired Hogan for private comments he made then they need to fire Lars for the PUBLIC comments he made

I will point out, my buddy that works in the Orlando sports media and has been covering all things AEW (and who has to check himself constantly to make sure he's not biting too hard on the hype) has made note that they already are not exactly an easy company to deal with.  Part of that may be them still going through a feeling out process, but they've already done some petty stuff (e.g. froze a coverage outlet out on receiving the press release on the TNT agreement yesterday because the outlet had been recently critical of them).

Also worth noting, they need to figure out how to vary their types of humor, because there are a number of people who don't find the style of humor consistently used on the only avenues of hype content they have right now (the Road to Double or Nothing and the BTE YouTube channels) to be funny.  As an example, this is one thing (and @PARROTHEAD can attest to this) that Chris DeJoseph was outstanding as a writer in making sure was consistently delivered by Lucha Underground.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

You're arguing a moot point.  Punk, Jericho, Styles were all draws before Vince could get his hands on them; and we actually don't know that AJ didn't view his jump to WWE as a likely permanent (last of his career) one where he wasn't above selling the trademark on his ring name to Vince in exchange for more money and other contractual assurances.

Those situations, however, are apples to oranges where Jon is concerned.  Vince does own a trademark on a character/ring-name of Jon's, so there's absolutely no reason Vince wouldn't use that.

Also, the notion that FOX would force WWE to go back to a type of TV-14 that would feature/require Jon's Moxley character from CZW doesn't hold water.  FOX went after WWE (ESPN even put in a bid, but they couldn't come close to an agreement on logistics stuffs) because there's a premium on live SPORTS programming right now.  Even if they were to use more foul language it would still be censored (it's primetime network TV, the censors don't even get dropped on paid-cable stations on the occasions they do get dropped until after midnight) and the crux of the Moxley character was more in the violent behavior, which the hardcore stuff detracts from the presentation of a sports program.

Reality is, despite the money that it brings, the WWE/FOX marriage is doomed anyway and likely ends with some sort of already-baked-in divorce option wherein FOX has the obvious ability to pull WWE programming off the flagship network if the ratings aren't suitable but if it's pulled from the flagship network WWE has an opt-out option that can be triggered.

I wasn't saying that if Fox told WWE to go to TV-14 Moxley would be a given. I was saying IF the character were to show up on WWE TV, it would be under the new ratings moniker as he would have zero place in the PG climate. Even at TV-14 he would still be toned completely down, I just saw that as a way for him to come in under the name. And just because Vince owns his trademark Ambrose name doesn't mean he can't say "OK, let's see where this Moxley stuff go." That was more of the point I was trying to make. I believe he's not so gung-ho on the I gotta use trademark names the way it appears when I read your post, I could be wrong I don't know. And I completely agree on the WWE/FOX deal being doomed. I still don't understand how they expect to be a huge draw on a Friday Night. Boggles my mind completely!

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Top 3 people you'd like to see AEW poach from WWE?

1 Cesaro
2 Chad Gable
3 Dolph

I don't like the idea of bringing over midcard guys. Even though Cesaro and Dolph should be stars, they aren't, and it'll make the casual fan think "Oh, the midcard of WWE is is the stars of AEW so it much be second rate." IMO.

1) Pete Dunne

2) Undisputed Era (It might be cheating so I'll leave Strong behind because A. I don't care about him and B. I'll pretend that makes it "fair".)

3) HHH

On 5/16/2019 at 7:37 PM, Jeezla said:

Top 3 people you'd like to see AEW poach from WWE?

1 Cesaro
2 Chad Gable
3 Dolph

agree with those 3. don't know if tyler breeze is stuck, but i'd love that. hoping to see austin aries show up at double or nothing. 

if ambrose or punk show up that'd be wild. ziggler would be hype too. 

On 5/16/2019 at 6:54 PM, wgbeethree said:

I don't like the idea of bringing over midcard guys. Even though Cesaro and Dolph should be stars, they aren't, and it'll make the casual fan think "Oh, the midcard of WWE is is the stars of AEW so it much be second rate." IMO.

1) Pete Dunne

2) Undisputed Era (It might be cheating so I'll leave Strong behind because A. I don't care about him and B. I'll pretend that makes it "fair".)

3) HHH

Those are mid cards in the E. In AEW they could flourish