Way, way to early draft needs 2020

kurgan

I know, I know... Free agency will have something to do with this.  As will the play of Bud Dupree and the Sean Davis.  BUT--

For me, its gotta be all day Edge, unless Ola or Keion blows up.  Of course, always a CB with Haden being a year older, and FS depending on Davis's price tag.  Maybe a 5 tech with Tuitt and Heyward being older?  OL, especially inside??

And a 2/3 round WR, of course....

The lines are going to start needing attention..

Foster another year older and Finney will want starter $$$...at least 1 of them is gone after this year...Villy already 31.

DL due to Hargraves FA and depth at DE due to injuries/age

Edge due to Dupree FA and Chick 2nd year cap hit is IIRC $6 mill...unless he breaks out he’s gone.

S due to no depth and Davis FA at end of year...depends on his play.

TE just due how much they use their #2 TE...now if that changes, this will lower  the need.

Overall...as of now...OL/DL/Edge/S/TE(no order)

Pronably one of these works themselves out and at least is addressed in FA next year...So probably 2-3 of these going into next years draft.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

Way too early for sure, but my thoughts...

QB: If Mason Rudolph does not show great improvement and clearly win #2, then they should definitely think about a day 2 guy, if a day 1 guy doesn't fall in their lap.

TE: No offense to Gentry, but the O needs high-end talent here to replace McDonald.

OL: Going to need replacement for Foster/Finney. Gray is destined for backup role in my opinion, so another body at T will be needed as well.

WR: Depends on Montcrief and Washington. Could always upgrade 5th/6th receiver.

Edge: Yes please. I have a feeling Steelers will regret not taking Montez Sweat.

ILB: Goodness, I hope not.

CB: Haden will be another year older. Burns will likely be gone.

S: Time will tell, but many thought Steelers needed another S in 2019.

They really wasted a good opportunity this year when Houston was available in UFA for a bit more than they gave dupree.  This staff is better getting Edge in UFA that is proven, because recent history has shown they can't draft consistently good Edge,  they whiffed on 2 RD1 picks in jarvis and dupree . I don't know who is going to be out there in UFA next year but I don't trust this staff with RD1 pick for Edge.

There will be needs all over the roster, it would help the team if a player like Adeyini gets a chance and proves he is a starter. Finney has already proved he is good, but they kept Foster and will probably lose Finney.  

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

CB Depth (can never have enough)

exactly, in this league now, you are a losing team if you don't have 3 good CB's. It took this team what, until now to realize this?

As of right now, Edge appears to be by far the biggest need. I like Dupree more than most but he doesn't get the sacks we need. We need someone who can bring the heat opposite Watt. Otherwise I agree with others here about addressing depth on the lines. Both groups are aging and getting more expensive and it'd be nice to have replacements ready to go before we have to get rid of those guys.

Safety could be. I could see Davis getting re-signed though. The staff seems high on Marcus Allen too. I think it’ll probably be edge. But again, Dupree could be re-signed. I know the majority would hate that, but I’d take him back on an affordable deal. I think he’s a good player, just not an elite pass rusher. I think we need to play him in more of an Anthony Barr role.

Yeah I was honestly thinking to myself I think safety is going to be the number one need. I mean let's be honest do we really have in a week or even that matter very good cover safety on the roster right now? The answer is emphatically no. Terrell Edmunds is not that guy in my opinion he should not have been drafted in the first round I still believe we would have gotten him probably in the third round or even with a trade up to get an additional second round pick but whatever it is what it is and it's in the past the tick was made but he in my opinion regardless of the fact that he was taken in the first round should not stop us from addressing the position and frankly no one else I'd opposition namely Sean Davis Marcus Allen and Jordan Dangerfield is going to stop us from addressing that position because they are all relatively easily replaceable with the selection of a very talented rookie. I really believe that safety position is going to struggle this season I understand that we still lack the right Health outside linebacker but we made things work to some degree last season the secondary was where all of the problems were.

Edmund will be given a chance, we will have to wait and see, just as we have done with other RD1 picks. He will get his chance because colbert doesn't want to admit he was wrong.   We could have had signed a safety in UFA like collins, but instead kept dupree - just shows where colbert is at. Overpaying players doesn't help either, that is colbert again and it is catching up to the team along with some of the bad draft picks.

12 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Edmund will be given a chance, we will have to wait and see, just as we have done with other RD1 picks. He will get his chance because colbert doesn't want to admit he was wrong.   We could have had signed a safety in UFA like collins, but instead kept dupree - just shows where colbert is at. Overpaying players doesn't help either, that is colbert again and it is catching up to the team along with some of the bad draft picks.

What makes you so sure he’s going to be a bust? Was Colbert wrong for drafting Edmunds? Why are you so sure? He played decently well last year as a rookie. Why don’t you actually do what you just typed out and give him some time. 

This fanbase is infuriating...

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What makes you so sure he’s going to be a bust? Was Colbert wrong for drafting Edmunds? Why are you so sure? He played decently well last year as a rookie. Why don’t you actually do what you just typed out and give him some time. 

This fanbase is infuriating...

I'm not "so sure" but I have seen a few more lapses and mistakes than I expected. I still have hope for edmunds, because some of the issues could be blamed on communication with teammate(s).  As for being infuriating, I expect RD1 picks to contribute in season1 , thats all it is.  Watt looked legit season 1 for example, so did DDC.