Way, way to early draft needs 2020

kurgan

Most of you are too young but I remember Troy’s first year and if this forum was around everyone would be calling him a wasted trade and pick, we can only hope Edmunds develops the same. Maybe it’s my older age, but I don’t put much emphasis on someone’s first year anymore. Let’s see what this year looks like and then see if he’s a bust. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Most of you are too young but I remember Troy’s first year and if this forum was around everyone would be calling him a wasted trade and pick, we can only hope Edmunds develops the same. Maybe it’s my older age, but I don’t put much emphasis on someone’s first year anymore. Let’s see what this year looks like and then see if he’s a bust. 

Troy flashed a lot his rookie year, but he was the backup rookie S on a lousy team featuring Tommy pop-gun Maddox. Many were disappointed after getting rid of Flowers that Troy didn't start and play more. After the season, they fired DC Tim Lewis and they named Polamalu the starter for 2004.

Edmunds played okay as a rookie, but I think he was forced into playing by the injury to Burnett. There really wasn't another option. 

• 1 month later...

Edmunds will get his opportunity, and see how this turns out for him. I'm not calling him a wasted pick, but more of a reach than anything at this point. The problem I had with him last year was some of his missed tackles, which is the norm in the nfl in recent years anyways, but I can't stand it. Tackling needs to be really good for higher RD picks.  I see more of the negative view towards Edmunds as peoples way to vent about colbert more than anything.  I don't see another great Safety with Edmunds, but he could be a legit starter anyways. I can't say the same for Burns, and still am skeptical about dupree - this offseason could have been better if we traded colbert

14 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Edmunds will get his opportunity, and see how this turns out for him. I'm not calling him a wasted pick, but more of a reach than anything at this point. The problem I had with him last year was some of his missed tackles, which is the norm in the nfl in recent years anyways, but I can't stand it. Tackling needs to be really good for higher RD picks.  I see more of the negative view towards Edmunds as peoples way to vent about colbert more than anything.  I don't see another great Safety with Edmunds, but he could be a legit starter anyways. I can't say the same for Burns, and still am skeptical about dupree - this offseason could have been better if we traded colbert

Usually a quiet guy & agree with lingering doubts on Dupree long-term, I too consider Burns a bust, & want to wait and see Edmunds does this coming season before I write him off. However, I don’t see how you or Steelers nation could be upset with Colbert. For as horrible as this off-season started, I feel better than I ever imagined rolling into July.

Bell signing with the NYJ is no loss in my eyes, and I’m probably one of AB’s only fans left on here but seeing him Go was necessary. You can say we got fleeced but for as high of picks we got in those rounds, we basically received a low 2nd & low 4th is how I look at it.....may not have picked the guys you or others on here wanted but I remember people nagging about Watt, JuJu, Conner, Le’veon over Lacy, etc. I’m putting my faith in the organization to bring guys in who are high IQ + Character men.

We extended Roethlisberger, resigned Foster, brought back Alualu who was solid contributor, signed Steven Nelson who has ballhawking qualities which is something we desperately lacked in our secondary, plus he’s a major upgrade over Burns/Sutton, I loved the Moncrief signing because it gives us a veterans presence in the locker room, along with size, and experience to allow Washington & Johnson time to grow through the year and not be thrown into the fire week 1 if not ready, & finally I know everyone hates the trade up for Bush it seems but we traded a 3rd to address our biggest need! I give this off-season an A+. 

Again, I know it’s only July but I feel great about this season! Every interview I watch of our players/staff I get a hungry competitive vibe.....something I haven’t felt nor seen in quite some time. I think I’m Years prior everyone top to bottom got complacent and beloved talent alone would take them to the top. This off-season was humbling. Our signings & picks were under the radar and that’s how I envision this team to go throughout the season now that we’re diva-free. 

4 hours ago, waffles7 said:

However, I don’t see how you or Steelers nation could be upset with Colbert. For as horrible as this off-season started, I feel better than I ever imagined rolling into July.

this was a decent offseason compared to others, and the others are what we dislike colbert as GMO.o Signing Justin Houston and letting dupree walk would have made my view different . Still, the fails in recent years in the FO is what me and others have issues with colbert for.  The burns RD1 pick NOW appears to have been worse than the Jarvis pick for example

• 3 months later...

I am working on a mock draft now, but I am looking forward to my Thanksgiving Break Off-Season Mock.  I want to make it as realistic as possible, so I want to get an idea on what you all think might happen with our draft (as much as is left...).  I know I have my ideas on who I want to make sure that we don't lose and who we retain, but having some insights from the forum would be awesome.  So... here is my recap and thoughts, and feel free to weigh in.

UFA--Bud Dupree, Javon Hargrave, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Matakevich, BJ FInney, Jayrone Elliott, Nick Vannett

RFA--Matt Feiler, Hilton, Banner, Canaday, Dangerfield

ERFA--Kam Kelly, Lavon Hooks

QB--SET--Big Ben, Rudolph, Hodges/Lynch

RB--SET-Conner, Snell, Samuels, Nix

WR--Mild Concern--JuJu, James Washington, Moncreif, Dionte Johnson, Johnny Holton, Ryan Switzer

TE--SET--Vance, Vannett, Gentry, CSW

OT--Mild Concern--AV, Feiler, Chucks

IOL-Mild Concern--DDC, Foster, Big Fred, Pouncey, Derwin Gray

DT-Grave Concern-Dan McCullers

DE-Mild Concern-Tuitt, Heyward, Alualu, Buggs

OLB-Grave Concern-Watt, Chickillo, Ola

ILB-Mild Concern-D. Bush, Barron, Vince, UG3

CB-Mild Concern-Haden, Nelson, Sutton, Layne, Myers

S-Mild Concern-Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Kelly, Dangerfield, Allen

So, for me...

The greens, I do not touch QB, RB or TE in the draft (Now, if a blocking TE is there in the 7th, different story)

The reds, I feel like need to be addressed in draft AND FA-- resigning Gravedigger AND Dupree is not likely, but the one that is not resigned, a FA must be at least brought in to compete.  Not to mention, incumbents at each spot (Big Dan and Chick) are likely cut canidates as well.  Not to spoil my own draft, but Gravedigger is my guy.  I'd do all I could to keep him, and take chances at Edge.

OK, yellows--really mixed into three groups.  Age, depth and performance.   To me, these need to be addressed in EITHER draft or FA. 

The age yellows are IOL and DE.  Foster will be in FA year and is older, and Finney is most likely leaving for starter $.  Also, DDC and Pouncey are not spring chickens.  Same on DE... Tuitt may be in his late prime, but Heyward is expensive and older.

Depth yellows are ILB, CB and S.  If Barron turns around, ILB can go green, as they will have enough players.  CB looks OK unless some type of injury occurs, or Layne doesn't develop.  S is good as well if Kelly comes along, but another pro piece would be nice.

Performance yellows are groups that have question marks of either a high draft pick not coming along, or general position weakness.  These for me are OT and WR.  I don't know if anyone knows the whole story of Chucks but he seems lost. If he does not pan out, that spot might have some issues.  As far as WR, we have to expect that with Ben coming back, WR will be a focus and they cannot get on track with Washington's slump and injury, Johnson's rookie struggles and no one really behind the first 3.  I'd also expect a Moncreif release at some point, so that weakens the spot even more.

Final tally--

TIER 1(2-3 rounders) --EDGE, DT

TIER 2(4,4,6,7)--WR, OT, ILB, CB, S, IOL, DE (Personal order would be: WR, IOL, ILB, CB--resign/FA/UDFA for OT, S, DE)

TIER 3(UDFA)--QB, RB, TE

Thoughts??

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

QB--SET--Big Ben, Rudolph, Hodges/Lynch

RB--SET-Conner, Snell, Samuels, Nix

WR- GRAVE CONCERN --JuJu, James Washington, Moncreif, Dionte Johnson, Johnny Holton, Ryan Switzer

TE--SET--Vance, Vannett, Gentry, CSW

OT--Mild Concern--AV, Feiler, Chucks

IOL- Very Mild Concern--DDC, Foster, Big Fred, Pouncey, Derwin Gray

DT-Grave Concern-Dan McCullers

DE-MID Concern-Tuitt, Heyward, Alualu, Buggs

OLB-Grave Concern-Watt, Chickillo, Ola

ILB-Mild Concern-D. Bush, Barron, Vince, UG3

CB- LITTLE CONCERN-Haden, Nelson, Sutton, Layne, Myers

S-DEPTH Concern-Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Kelly, Dangerfield, Allen

I added my changes.  WR is a huge concern to me.  Holton/Switz are JAG's, Moncreif should be gone last week, James Washington seems like a PS hero.  Dionte is too early to make a call on.  JuJu is fine but needs a new contract next year. 

DE, I upgraded because Heyward will be in year 11, Alualu in year 10.

CB, I downgraded because Haden and Nelson are proving to be a good deal, and it looks like Sutton is set to take over should Hilton go elsewhere.

S, More depth than anything else.  Kelley, Dangerfield and All are JAGs.  And I'm really sour on Kelley and Allen after the crap they pulled in practice this week.

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I actually agree with the Grave concern applied to WR.

Really excited about JJ, JW, and DJ....jesus...that's slot of J's... but we need another young WR imo. Someone as a #4....apparently someone whose first or last name begins with a J also.

We need a couple of twitchy/separation folks added to the WR core.
L.Shenault is a beast, but he'll gone round 1 too. He's like a more explosive JuJu (I think).
The receiver from TCU, J.Reagor, fits the mold, but that's a bit early I think as he's likely RD 1 or 2.
I think D.Duvernay from Texas is interesting as is B.Aiyuk from ASU.

On a side note, if Marvin Wilson the DT from FSU drops to us, I think he'd be a monster
replacement for Hargrave. 

Offensive weapon...WR-TE preferably.

OL depth(left side)...Depth at LT, and one of Foster/Finney gone after this year.

Thrure gonna resign one of Hargraved and Bud...I’m guessing Bud....leaves Nose.

Gun to my head top 3 needs in order as of now...

-Offensive weapon

-NT/DL depth

-OL depth