Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

2019 53 Man Roster Fight

Recommended Posts

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with some of the bottom of the roster spots..

-Denmark-CB/S and Kerrith Whyte-RB have been ghosts from what I've gathered of camp reports... Haven't heard anything on either even existing, save getting minor injuries.

-Our OLB depth we brought a bunch of dudes in, and again.... nothing. I had some higher hopes for the Canadian kid and the few things I heard, have been negative.

-ILB depth I've heard might be giving Kwiatoski a run for his money, given his limited athleticism/coverage ability.

-TEs I've heard Dax Raymand once, and Bunting twice... Beyond that nada.

-Ryan Nall-RB I've heard was really playing well one day... and then also seen more negative type general comments (but nothing specific, when talking negative)... He apparently also has the size to be a quasi FB option.

-The bottom of the WR depth chart just fascinates me... I can see legitimate reason to carry 7 right now, given the reports on Wims and the former atlanta falcons Hall really threatening the D with his speed. UDFA Hall from what I've heard is either practice squad or IR stash, with nothing really showing up on field as of yet. And there was a WR who's name I'm already forgetting who got mentioned 2-3x for flashing in practice, not unlike Wims did when first got him (similar bigger body type guy too)... Nothing really about Gentry, and obviously Ridley has been hobbled so far, but he's a prime curiosity for me this season too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not convinced we keep more than Run DMC at RB. Those three plus Patterson can more than handle all our running back duties.

Nall doesn’t bring anything to the table that at least 2 other RBs ahead of him also bring. All but Cohen bring a power running element and goal line capability. All can catch. I’m not worried about his ST abilities because we have a hundred DBs who probably make the roster too with all the depth guys capable of playing 4 phases. If Nall makes the squad he’s almost surely a Sunday inactive I’m just about every scenario meaning he adds no value at all. 

Whyte is probably a practice squad candidate. Haven’t heard a peep about him on the field during camp when his speed should help him pop. 

Marvin Hall in the other hand has experience as a KR should Patterson miss time, has ST value and has been healthy and noticeable because of his speed at camp. His skill set can fill several roles on Sundays and as a bottom of the depth chart WR that has a ton of value.

Keeping 7 WR and 3 RB is basically the same as keeping 6 and 4 for us anyway when both Cohen and Patterson are on the team since both guys can play both positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just noticed that the title "2019 53 Man Roster Fight" sounds like a UFC Cage Match.  ;)

Edited by soulman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not convinced we keep more than Run DMC at RB. Those three plus Patterson can more than handle all our running back duties.

Nall doesn’t bring anything to the table that at least 2 other RBs ahead of him also bring. All but Cohen bring a power running element and goal line capability. All can catch. I’m not worried about his ST abilities because we have a hundred DBs who probably make the roster too with all the depth guys capable of playing 4 phases. If Nall makes the squad he’s almost surely a Sunday inactive I’m just about every scenario meaning he adds no value at all. 

Whyte is probably a practice squad candidate. Haven’t heard a peep about him on the field during camp when his speed should help him pop. 

Marvin Hall in the other hand has experience as a KR should Patterson miss time, has ST value and has been healthy and noticeable because of his speed at camp. His skill set can fill several roles on Sundays and as a bottom of the depth chart WR that has a ton of value.

Keeping 7 WR and 3 RB is basically the same as keeping 6 and 4 for us anyway when both Cohen and Patterson are on the team since both guys can play both positions. 

This is how I see it panning out too.

Always read things about Nall looking decent in camp but I wasn't too impressed with him last pre-season. He had two really long runs (I think? Or maybe one was a catch) which skewed his numbers, other than that he just looked big and slow. Right now I'd say Whyte on the PS and Nall cut - unless they maybe want to keep him around on the PS as a possible FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with some of the bottom of the roster spots..

-Denmark-CB/S and Kerrith Whyte-RB have been ghosts from what I've gathered of camp reports... Haven't heard anything on either even existing, save getting minor injuries.

-Our OLB depth we brought a bunch of dudes in, and again.... nothing. I had some higher hopes for the Canadian kid and the few things I heard, have been negative.

-ILB depth I've heard might be giving Kwiatoski a run for his money, given his limited athleticism/coverage ability.

-TEs I've heard Dax Raymand once, and Bunting twice... Beyond that nada.

-Ryan Nall-RB I've heard was really playing well one day... and then also seen more negative type general comments (but nothing specific, when talking negative)... He apparently also has the size to be a quasi FB option.

-The bottom of the WR depth chart just fascinates me... I can see legitimate reason to carry 7 right now, given the reports on Wims and the former atlanta falcons Hall really threatening the D with his speed. UDFA Hall from what I've heard is either practice squad or IR stash, with nothing really showing up on field as of yet. And there was a WR who's name I'm already forgetting who got mentioned 2-3x for flashing in practice, not unlike Wims did when first got him (similar bigger body type guy too)... Nothing really about Gentry, and obviously Ridley has been hobbled so far, but he's a prime curiosity for me this season too.

Yes. Pre season games will actually be interesting to me this year to see who might make bottom and practice squad.  

As for above:

Denmark and Whyte - been hurt.  Looking like PS players at moment.

OLB - back ups been kind of quiet in camp, looked good in drills day I was there.  Don't know if they looked good so much as our back up OL looked bad.  Preseason will be most interesting there.

ILB - starters WOW.  Back ups Kind of average. Pre season again.

TE - many of our offseason worst case scenarios at TE seem to be coming true at moment. We still have a month to get starters healthy is silver lining.  I think Pace will be keeping an eye on cuts at TE from other teams if things continue as they have, but ideally they want to keep a healthy Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker and Sowell.  They know Sowell is a specialist project, but if Burton and Shaheen can't stay healthy then it becomes a liability rather than a luxory.  Depends on how much they want to gamble. They have a lot of faith in Braunecker who can play Y or U, but he scares no one offensively.  He may end up starting a number of game this year by default. 

Nall - playing well for what it's worth.  He is kind of buried in any event.  As for FB I don't know that I have ever seen him throw a lead block between tackles, that is a skill.  He is big. 

WR - Gentry is playing well in camp.  Again.  Just nobody puts much stock in it anymore because it hasn't continued to game field. Feel for guy.  Wims has been playing like a starter, but for ARob he would be offensive WR star of camp.  UDFA Hall is looking like IR like many of us speculated from start.  FA Hall looks like he playing his way to 53.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated 53 after first pre season (subject to continued change)

BIG CHANGES:  KWAITKOWSKI, FITTS, DENMARK OUT.   PIERRE-LOUIS, HOUSTON-CARSON, FRANKLIN, NICK WILLIAMS IN.

ABDULLAH COMING ON STRONG. 8TH OL IS TOTALLY UP FOR GRABS.  BARS IS CURRENT FRONT RUNNER I THINK BECAUSE HE CAN PLAY OT OR G AND HAS MORE POTENTIAL THAN CLEMMINGS WHO IS ACTUALLY PLAYING BETTER.  

IF BURTON OR SHAHEEN AREN'T PRACTICING FULL GO AND LOOKING GOOD AFTER LAST CUTS, LOOK FOR BEARS TO PICK UP OR MAKE A MOVE FOR A VETERAN TE.  

OFFENSE:

QB:  MT, Daniel  (2)

RB: Montgomery, Davis, Cohen, Whyte (4)

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Patterson, M. Hall (7)

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Sowell (4)

LT:   Charles Leno (8)

LG:   Cody Whitehair, Alex Bars   

C:     James Daniels

RG:   Kyle Long, Ted Larsen 

RT:   Bobby Massie, Rashaad Coward 

25

DEFENSE:

Defensive Line (6)- Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Bilal Nichols, Jonathan Bullard, Roy Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams 

ILB:  Inside Linebackers (4)- Roquan Smith, Danny Trevathan, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Kevin Pierre-Louis

OLB: Outside Linebackers (4)- Khalil Mack, Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Isaiah Irving 

Safety (5)- Eddie Jackson, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Deon Bush, Houston-Carson, McManis

Cornerbacks (6)- Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara, Buster Skrine, Kevin Toliver, Duke Shelley, Franklin

25

Special Teams :

(3)- LS Patrick Scales, P Pat O’Donnell, K Eddy Pineiro (still think he comes back to win job)

53

IR:  Emmanuel Hall (I don't think they risk losing this guy on PS, he is too talented - he either makes 53 or gets put on IR).  

PS:  Bray and all guys who just missed cut.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was willing to keep 5 safeties because Pagano has been toying with 3 safety looks on defense and McManis is useful on special teams.

 

Edited by dll2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might change it again after next game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Updated 53 after first pre season (subject to continued change)

BIG CHANGES:  KWAITKOWSKI, FITTS, DENMARK OUT.   PIERRE-LOUIS, HOUSTON-CARSON, FRANKLIN, NICK WILLIAMS IN.

ABDULLAH COMING ON STRONG. 8TH OL IS TOTALLY UP FOR GRABS.  BARS IS CURRENT FRONT RUNNER I THINK BECAUSE HE CAN PLAY OT OR G AND HAS MORE POTENTIAL THAN CLEMMINGS WHO IS ACTUALLY PLAYING BETTER.  

IF BURTON OR SHAHEEN AREN'T PRACTICING FULL GO AND LOOKING GOOD AFTER LAST CUTS, LOOK FOR BEARS TO PICK UP OR MAKE A MOVE FOR A VETERAN TE.  

OFFENSE:

QB:  MT, Daniel  (2)

RB: Montgomery, Davis, Cohen, Whyte (4)

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Patterson, M. Hall (7)

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Sowell (4)

LT:   Charles Leno (8)

LG:   Cody Whitehair, Alex Bars   

C:     James Daniels

RG:   Kyle Long, Ted Larsen 

RT:   Bobby Massie, Rashaad Coward 

25

DEFENSE:

Defensive Line (6)- Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, Bilal Nichols, Jonathan Bullard, Roy Robertson-Harris, Nick Williams 

ILB:  Inside Linebackers (4)- Roquan Smith, Danny Trevathan, Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Kevin Pierre-Louis

OLB: Outside Linebackers (4)- Khalil Mack, Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Isaiah Irving 

Safety (5)- Eddie Jackson, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Deon Bush, Houston-Carson, McManis

Cornerbacks (6)- Kyle Fuller, Prince Amukamara, Buster Skrine, Kevin Toliver, Duke Shelley, Franklin

25

Special Teams :

(3)- LS Patrick Scales, P Pat O’Donnell, K Eddy Pineiro (still think he comes back to win job)

53

IR:  Emmanuel Hall (I don't think they risk losing this guy on PS, he is too talented - he either makes 53 or gets put on IR).  

PS:  Bray and all guys who just missed cut.

 

I think either Bullard or Nick Williams will be cut.  I think Bunting is on this roster right now, whether he makes the final cut will be determined over the next 3 weeks.

Other than that, I think we agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass on 5 safeties, even more so with the talent they seem to have at CB. Keep 6 CBs and 1 less safety.

If they cut one of these interesting CBs like Franklin or Duck to keep Houston-Carson I may throw something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears seem to be stacked at CB and WR so I would expect to see a little in balance in what we traditionally see in those roles.

They may have to stash some guys on IR if they are worried about not getting them to the PR.

Bunting has to make the team. At this point he is more of what Adam Shaheen was suppose to be than Adam Shaheen is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears seem to be stacked at CB and WR so I would expect to see a little in balance in what we traditionally see in those roles.

They may have to stash some guys on IR if they are worried about not getting them to the PR.

Bunting has to make the team. At this point he is more of what Adam Shaheen was suppose to be than Adam Shaheen is.

Be honest though - if Shaheen had a complete whiff in pass pro leading to a sack, a false start and a fumble all in the span of 2 quarters you would be TORRRRRRRRRRRRCHING him for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TE depth and OLB depth are both really concerning to me right now after that game...

Kicker.. I'm not sure we have the guy on the roster... I'm not sold on Fry and Eddie just pooped the bed.

Otherwise, defensively, maybe that backup ILB spot because Kwiat blew 3 bigger plays in a single series and I want to see more from the rest of the pack there.

 

Offensively, the connection to Hall wasn't there, but I think he's probably a roster lock at this point just to threaten the deep ball, which means 7WR

I don't think Nall/Whyte for RB 4 had a winner... and if anything, both might just go to the PS right now.

That brings me to a bigger thing, but OL seems to be significantly less solid than I was expecting.  Seemingly every run save one had to be bounced outside against play design and the one good run up the middle was just Montgomery beast mode smashing through like 5 guys for some really tough yardage. I know Long wasn't playing...and it's way early... and also preseason where we're running mostly vanilla offense... but it's something I'm going to be watching more closely for the rest of the preseason games, because I was let down by the performance in general.

Also, not that we'll change it, but I have about as much faith in our backup QBs as I did in mike glennon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Be honest though - if Shaheen had a complete whiff in pass pro leading to a sack, a false start and a fumble all in the span of 2 quarters you would be TORRRRRRRRRRRRCHING him for it. 

Yes, I am giving Bunting a little leeway because he is a rookie.

-The sack was on Daniel, you can't cut off your roll out and expect the blocker to be in the correct position.

-The fumble was a tough one, heck of a play by the defender and he had the ball pretty secure, but he needs to go down in those spots and not expose himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Be honest though - if Shaheen had a complete whiff in pass pro leading to a sack, a false start and a fumble all in the span of 2 quarters you would be TORRRRRRRRRRRRCHING him for it. 

I would agree except he is a rookie unlike Shaheen, but he has to keep improving through out the rest of the pre season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×