2020 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

In your scenario, yes absolutely. He had an all time great season in your scenario above. You pay for that production.

I also realize that reality is likely to be very different than my fantasy for Cousins.  My thought is that he just doesn't have the mental make up to win a championship. 

Well then you should have said that :D

I know that you don't like Cousins for any number of reasons. To suggest that he doesn't get resigned for big money after having an all time great season and leading the Vikings to a Super Bowl is pretty silly though.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Well then you should have said that :D

I know that you don't like Cousins for any number of reasons. To suggest that he doesn't get resigned for big money after having an all time great season and leading the Vikings to a Super Bowl is pretty silly though.

Yeah...you're right!

And while the majority of my focus is still on the aftermath of the 2019 NFL Draft and deciphering who hit the mark and who floundered with their classes, you'd be a fool to think that I haven't at least peeked at 2020 players.

So who has stood out? Who is worth the hype? Who are we sleeping on. I'm here to tackle these answers in this week's column of Studs & Duds.

DUD - GEORGIA QB JAKE FROMM

Fromm has yet to really move the needle for me having watched him so frequently at Georgia. His flashes are very impressive -- there's no question he's got potential as a franchise quarterback.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/studs-and-duds-early-impressions-of-2020

The Vikings are projected to receive three compensatory picks in next year’s draft, according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein, which would bring their total to 10 picks overall. Compensatory picks take into account a free-agent signee’s average salary per year, snap count and postseason awards. Each year, the NFL awards 32 compensatory picks spread out from Rounds 3 to 7. Players need to be on a team’s roster for at least 10 weeks of the regular season to qualify in the compensatory system. The Vikings are one of two teams projected to have three compensatory picks, along with the Baltimore Ravens.

Zierlein projects Minnesota will receive one compensatory pick each in the third, sixth and seventh rounds. The players that figure into his computation are defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who went to the Cleveland Browns, offensive lineman Nick Easton (New Orleans Saints) and running back Latavius Murray (Saints). The only key gain in the compensatory system for the Vikings is defensive tackle Shamar Stephen, who is expected to replace Richardson in the starting lineup.

Defensive tackle Tom Johnson and WR Aldrick Robinson remain unsigned, but they would longer count for or against the Vikings in the compensatory system if they signed somewhere now.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-compensatory-picks-2020-draft-131930220/

OverTheCap’s page still projects the Vikings to receive 4 picks — the 3 Zierlein credits them with plus a 7th for Tom Compton. 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Compton’s contract is the lowest of the 32 qualifying comp picks, so if it does qualify the Vikings would get the last pick in the draft, Mr Irrelevant. 

If it does miss the cutoff, as apparently it does on Zierlein’s list, it would presumably be next in line if any of the picks above the line don’t end up earning their contracts, like Sam Bradford last year. So there’s a decent chance the Vikings will get 4 picks as long as Richardson, Easton, Murray and Compton get paid as projected. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hope they're not in the position to draft Tua, outside of potentially trading 2 future 1st round picks for him (which I highly doubt they'd ever do).

I'd like to see them draft one of the numerous good potential QBs next year though.  

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I hope they're not in the position to draft Tua, outside of potentially trading 2 future 1st round picks for him (which I highly doubt they'd ever do).

I'd like to see them draft one of the numerous good potential QBs next year though.  

I agree.  Tua would be a great pick, but hopefully we aren't near drafting first.  I imagine that the price for moving up would be quite steep.  As to SemperFeist's question about O'Neill.  I think keeping him at RT would be in the best interests of O'Neill and the Vikings in the long run.  It does, however, make upgrading LT a significant need going into next off season.

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

outside of potentially trading 2 future 1st round picks for him (which I highly doubt they'd ever do).

If they’re not willing to do it, then this team will forever be stuck in mediocrity. 

I think both Herbert and Fromm will jump Tua in the draft process, if all three declare. 

If the Vikings are sitting in the early 20s, and they could make a Philadelphia/Atlanta type move to get into position to draft one of those three QBs, they’d be extremely foolish not to do so. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If they’re not willing to do it, then this team will forever be stuck in mediocrity. 

I think both Herbert and Fromm will jump Tua in the draft process, if all three declare. 

If the Vikings are sitting in the early 20s, and they could make a Philadelphia/Atlanta type move to get into position to draft one of those three QBs, they’d be extremely foolish not to do so. 

Herbert yes but I don't think Fromm does.  All analysis I've read and listened to so far suggests that people are unimpressed by him.  Jordan Love could be interesting 

I'll be interested in watching what happens with Eason this year too. He should dominate in the Pac-12, and that head to head matchup with Herbert should draw a lot of attention. 

I'm not saying that he'd be a great fit here, only that the more QBs at the top of the draft, the better for the Vikings.

10 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I already hear the Paul Allen puns about Love in my head and it makes me want to vomit....

Yeah ya hate to see it. 

However,  I've been kicking around the idea of the Vikings going QB in round one this year.  If the team underachieves again I could definitely see it.  If not they can continue to build OL and replace more expensive pieces on defense. 

If they did, Cousins could play out his contract as an audition for his next one somewhere else.   Or, he could waive his no trade clause and be moved to the highest bidder.  Only problem with the latter is the same problem the Cardinals just had.   Once you draft a new QB. The value of your current one plummets.  His value would also decrease as he could potentially be a one year rental.

10 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Yeah ya hate to see it. 

However,  I've been kicking around the idea of the Vikings going QB in round one this year.  If the team underachieves again I could definitely see it.  If not they can continue to build OL and replace more expensive pieces on defense. 

If they did, Cousins could play out his contract as an audition for his next one somewhere else.   Or, he could waive his no trade clause and be moved to the highest bidder.  Only problem with the latter is the same problem the Cardinals just had.   Once you draft a new QB. The value of your current one plummets.  His value would also decrease as he could potentially be a one year rental.

The problem the Cardinals had is that they drafted a QB at #1 the year after they drafted one in the 1st round and waited until after the draft to trade him.  The value of a veteran QB doesn't plummet as much as the value of an unproven young QB like Rosen.  Take Alex Smith for example.  His value didn't drop all that much despite the success of Mahomes, as he was still a proven commodity.  The same would likely happen for Cousins should the Vikings draft a QB early next year.  Cousins' value may drop, but it ain't gonna drop all that much because his new team would likely know already what they are going to get.  And the real likelihood in that scenario is that the Vikings do like the Chiefs did and let Cousins play out his contract and then move him prior to the new league year to the highest bidder or let him walk in free agency.