2020 Draft Talk

swede700

As I said last year about this time, things will certainly dramatically change over the year, but what are some prospects we should be looking at for the 2020 draft?  I suspect already that we won't have a shot at any QBs like Justin Herbert or Tua, but if Cuz Buzz has another so-so-year, they may still look to draft a QB in the first round or 2.  Who would that be, Jake Fromm? Jacob Eason?  The next Oklahoma QB, Jalen Hurts?  Or should they be looking for a DE like AJ Epenesa to replace Everson?  

What are your thoughts?  Who should we be watching for?

Pretty much what Klomp said

Would like to see us start to look for Reiff's successor on the outside of the line.

Wouldn't mind a top-tier pass rushing DL.

Also wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd-4th round QB to sit behind Kirk for a season (or more if we extend).

WR in rounds 2-4 wouldn't be bad.

1st round: OT/DL
2nd round: OT/DL/QB/WR
3rd round: DL/QB/WR
4th round: DL/QB/WR
5th +: BPA

Will any of that be available at 32?

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

Top needs are likely QB, OT and DE if I had to guess.

Reiff is probably a cap cut next year. Griffen would have to take a team friendly desk to return and Weatherly could be in line for a nice payday.

And then there is Kirk Cousins. If the Vikes fail to make the playoffs again, how do you not seriously look at alternatives rather than having to negotiate a second contract with him.

I think one more interior OL could also be needed, depending upon Samia's development at G.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

If the Vikings cut some vets to gain some much needed freaking cash, guys like Reiff and Griffen or not sign Waynes obviously OT, DE and CB would be big needs.  Same if the Vikings do not sign Anthony Harris next year so add S to that list.  Trey Adams makes sense at OT with his athletic ability but will see if he can stay healthy this next year, he was injured 2017 and missed the end of the season and missed the start of the 2018 season this past year but got in late and did ok.

DE one has options, like it was said I would not mind Epenesa but doubt they pick that high in the draft hopefully so Gross-Matos, Willekes and Gaziano are more likely options.  CB could go with AJ Green if he finally plays up to his potential or a stud in AJ Terrell.  Safety is not a super strong group outside of Delpit, but late 1st or 2nd round I would not mind Greg Ellsworth, tough as can be and is quick as well.  Will see how Winfield Jr does on the Gophers this year, he could be a mid round pick, see if he can finally stay healthy for an entire season, or JR Reed see how he does on Georgia Jake Reed's son.  

QB is also a possibility if Cousins does not lead them to wins they might want to start looking down the line.  Crazy though not many teams need a QB, a lot, arguably over half the league have what they consider to be the next young franchise guy potentially.  And if the super stars in Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, Brady do not retire the QB rooms will be packed.  So maybe one will drop but will see how the year plays out, Tampa Bay might need one and maybe Tennessee or the Chargers.  I would not mind Jordan Love late 1st round for looking down the road, not sure I would take Fromm will see how he plays this season.  Eason has a big time arm as well but again will see how he actually does on the field.  

QB unless Cousins plays well this year, and shows he can lead a contender.

DT, Linval is getting older and I'm not convinced they have an answer at 3-tech on the roster right now. 

LT, unless they think Udoh can take over from Reiff by 2021. 

G if Elflein and/or Kline continue their struggles from last year, and if Samia doesn't look like a future starter.

Slot CB, they'll need to replace Alexander. That's a likely day 2 pick. 

TE, if they let Rudolph go, unless they plan to use Morgan (who'd also have to be extended) as the Y / in-line TE in their 2TE offense. 

I expect Harris to be extended by training camp, since they didn't spend any draft capital trying to replace him. 

I predict Weatherly will extend and Griffen will come back on a cheaper 1-year deal for depth/rotation, so DE will continue to be a day 3 target in the draft.

I predict Waynes will extend and Rhodes will take a pay cut next year, which would be his final season in Minnesota. Outside CB won't be a need as long as Hughes meets expectations. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Krauser said:

QB unless Cousins plays well this year, and shows he can lead a contender.

DT, Linval is getting older and I'm not convinced they have an answer at 3-tech on the roster right now. 

LT, unless they think Udoh can take over from Reiff by 2021. 

G if Elflein and/or Kline continue their struggles from last year, and if Samia doesn't look like a future starter.

Slot CB, they'll need to replace Alexander. That's a likely day 2 pick. 

TE, if they let Rudolph go, unless they plan to use Morgan (who'd also have to be extended) as the Y / in-line TE in their 2TE offense. 

I expect Harris to be extended by training camp, since they didn't spend any draft capital trying to replace him. 

I predict Weatherly will extend and Griffen will come back on a cheaper 1-year deal for depth/rotation, so DE will continue to be a day 3 target in the draft.

I predict Waynes will extend and Rhodes will take a pay cut next year, which would be his final season in Minnesota. Outside CB won't be a need as long as Hughes meets expectations. 

I would agree with almost all of that.  DT would be a big need but it is not going to be a strong DT draft arguably.  Derrick Brown but he is more a NT and Raekwon Davis but he has to get back to the form he showed two years ago, last year he kind of disappointed I thought.  Some other guys might rise up and show something but as it is now kind of weak and might not be able to fill that need in the draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833440-nfl-trade-rumors-vikings-taking-calls-on-kyle-rudolph-xavier-rhodes-more

Obviously they did not act on any of that trade talk.  Would have been curious what they could have got for those players, doubt anything crazy.  Still if the plan is to not sign Rudolph and go with Smith, I doubt Smith is ever a great player like Rudolph has been at times.  Smith would be lucky to have the career Rudolph has had and his career is not yet over either.

DE would be a need that could be filled probably best in the draft at that last 1st round area and there are a few solid players they could pick from.  Weatherly will see what he does but doubt he is ever an elite pass rusher who could get 8-12 sacks a year.  

The leadership with Cousins is a question mark, will see if he can lead them to winning football games or not.  

I am thinking Cousins will always be the quarterback he's always been...putting up good stats that lead to nothing.  I hope I am wrong and some light bulb comes on in his head...but, I'm not counting on it.  Therefore, like others, I believe QB will be an important position to consider drafting in round 1.  If Cousins turns into a good leader and clutch performer...than OT is the way to go.

57 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am thinking Cousins will always be the quarterback he's always been...putting up good stats that lead to nothing.  I hope I am wrong and some light bulb comes on in his head...but, I'm not counting on it.  Therefore, like others, I believe QB will be an important position to consider drafting in round 1.  If Cousins turns into a good leader and clutch performer...than OT is the way to go.

Well, he has less excuses this year with the emphasis on the OL and the new Jordan Reed in Irv Smith.  

My personal belief is that the position emphasis will be in the following order:

1.  NT (eventual replacement for Linval Joseph)

2. QB (if Cousins is the same as he was this last year)

3. 3-Tech

4. OT

27 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

In all seriousness I think we inject some high-round youth into the defense. I'll be interested in the DL this year in CFB.

I was hoping some of that youth along the DL could have been added this year to have those players ready to go in 2020. With so much focus on offense in the most recent draft, there's definitely a win now feel, hoping the defense doesn't fall apart due to age.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I was hoping some of that youth along the DL could have been added this year to have those players ready to go in 2020. 

Hunter and Weatherly are 25 this year. Not sure how many teams have 2 better edge rushers under the age of 26. 

At DT, Holmes is 23 this year and deserves the chance to win a starting role. Jaleel Johnson probably never turns into a starter but he’s decent depth at age 25 this year. 

Joseph is 31 and Griffen is 32 this year.  Both will need to be replaced before long. I’d be happy if Griffen can stick around as a depth DE3, let his career wind down slowly (and for cheaper cap hits), like Robison did.

For the rest of the defense, Barr and Kendricks are 27 this year and shouldn’t be slowing down for several more years yet.

Rhodes is 29 this year and will need to be replaced in a year or two, as I pointed out in the CB thread. Waynes is 27, Alexander is 26 and Hughes is only 22. Ant Harris is 28, older than I thought.

Harrison Smith is 30 this year. I’m hoping his game will age well since it depends as much on football IQ as athleticism. Maybe he can play into his mid 30s, like Eric Weddle has.