2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

For a RB that had availability issues, yes. For a franchise QB, perhaps once in a decade type prospect as well. You make that trade and hope to have a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

I can't think of any quarterback drafted in the last 10 years I would've been willing to give an entire draft for.  Even Mahomes...who may turn out to be that once in a decade type prospect.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't have given a couple of number one picks for him.  However, every year the Vikings usually have more than one or two holes they need to fill via the draft.

44 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

And I would suspect that you'd get the same results that Ditka did.  Giving over an entire draft for one player?  I think that would unadvisable.

41 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

For a RB that had availability issues, yes. For a franchise QB, perhaps once in a decade type prospect as well. You make that trade and hope to have a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Pretty much what @vikingsrule said. I also never said I'd give up an entire draft even though I understand how you came to that conclusion. I mentioned 3 1st round picks as a starting point and "something along those lines" of what Ditka did.

What does everyone think about Henry Ruggs III from Alabama? He's had an outstanding start to the year, he'll undoubtedly be one of the 2-3 fastest guys in the draft if he declares, and I think he'd be a perfect fit with Diggs and Thielen in the receiving corps. Currently my #3 receiver behind Jeudy and Lamb, barely ahead of Higgins and Tyler Johnson, I'd love to see the Vikes grab him in the first if he makes it down to their pick.

4 minutes ago, Robbroy45 said:

What does everyone think about Henry Ruggs III from Alabama? He's had an outstanding start to the year, he'll undoubtedly be one of the 2-3 fastest guys in the draft if he declares, and I think he'd be a perfect fit with Diggs and Thielen in the receiving corps. Currently my #3 receiver behind Jeudy and Lamb, barely ahead of Higgins and Tyler Johnson, I'd love to see the Vikes grab him in the first if he makes it down to their pick.

Ruggs is awesome and I agree he is one of the fastest players easily in the up coming draft.  Little small but I agree he could add a lot to the Vikings WR core but honestly I would not mind taking him and moving on from Diggs if we could.  In this new offense not sure Diggs is worth the money he is getting especially if he starts to complain and cause a problem like his little helmet issue in Green Bay that was a massive buzz kill after the score and hurt the team big time I think.

Ruggs would make sense but not sure he would be a super late 1st round pick though.  Also CB is a bigger issue potentially for the roster especially if they let go of Waynes so doubt they got WR in a run heavy offense 1st round instead of a CB which could be a big hole, maybe Hughes can take that role but he first has to play well and actually stay healthy for once.  I thought DL would be a 1st round option also, would love Willekes but Griffen has rounded back to for for the Vikings which is nice to see and Barr has been rushing the QB more which helps a lot as well. 

Right now CB seems like the #1 need, then maybe WR or OG and DT.  And QB no doubt could be an issue unless Kirk plays a lot better, Fromm or Burrow in the 2nd I would like, Eason would be decent late 1st but not sure he is a scheme fit but has arguably one of the best throwing arms in the draft.  Still wish Herbert we could get but doubt that happens.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I can't think of any quarterback drafted in the last 10 years I would've been willing to give an entire draft for.  Even Mahomes...who may turn out to be that once in a decade type prospect.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't have given a couple of number one picks for him.  However, every year the Vikings usually have more than one or two holes they need to fill via the draft.

I would give up any one of the Vikings last three draft classes for Mahomes and wouldn’t think twice. One of the reasons the Vikings frequently have so many holes is they don’t have a QB that can mask those problems.

If I’m being honest I’d rather give up a draft class than 3 firsts. If I knew I was getting a decade of franchise QB play.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If I’m being honest I’d rather give up a draft class than 3 firsts. If I knew I was getting a decade of franchise QB play.

Agreed. Me too. The problem is you don't know at the time of the draft that the QB would give a decade of QB play. Multiple teams passed up taking Mahomes for just a single first round pick. Around half of first round QBs end up never amounting to much.

But yeah, I would give up an entire draft class for Mahomes now -- or three first round picks. 

10 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I would give up any one of the Vikings last three draft classes for Mahomes and wouldn’t think twice. One of the reasons the Vikings frequently have so many holes is they don’t have a QB that can mask those problems.

I think either 3 firsts or an entire draft class is short-sighted.  As important as the QB position is, last I looked, football was still a team sport.  But that's just my opinion.

You don’t think that Pat Mahomes on a rookie deal is worth Mike Hughes, Garret Bradbury, and next year’s first round pick? 

I know it’s a team sport. But it’s one where the team usually wins when the guy holding the ball every play is among the best in the league. A great QB on a rookie deal is worth that much draft capital on two fronts: on the field and roster building. You have 5 years to build a strong foundation (resigning home grown talent, bringing in good FA depth) around a great QB before he needs a large contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I realize that. Mahomes was an example of the tier that most feel Lawrence will be in. I would give up that draft capital no questions asked.

What kind of season is Lawrence having this year?  Again, I really don't watch college football and am curious if he's duplicating or surpassing last year? 

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If you could guarantee Mahomes, sure. But you can’t guarantee that the QB you traded for will be at, or any where close, to that level. 

If you don’t take a chance, you’re stuck in mediocrity at the position. It seems that is okay with Spielman given his QB choices... Ponder, Teddy, Bradford, Cousins. None of these guys were blue chippers and all lacked top 10 upside.

• Like 1