2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, AWinfield26 said:

With all that said I believe there is going to be more rookies starting open day then we have in the past. With our terrible cap situation we don't have the luxury of having rookies sit a year and learn. Depending on what happens with Harris I can see 3 or 4 rookies possibly starting. 

I'm on the opposite side - there's not going to be a rookie mini-camp, there likely aren't going to be OTA's, and it's going to be awhile until these rookies can actually get in front of the coaches; that likely means that players who were on the roster last year (or are being paid to be a starter like Pierce) are going to see the field early if/when we start playing.

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'm on the opposite side - there's not going to be a rookie mini-camp, there likely aren't going to be OTA's, and it's going to be awhile until these rookies can actually get in front of the coaches; that likely means that players who were on the roster last year (or are being paid to be a starter like Pierce) are going to see the field early if/when we start playing.

This is a good point but at some positions we won't really have a choice. If we trade Harris and draft his replacement I would think that rookie would start. CB is another position were I think we won't have a choice. As of current roster sits we don't have many options in the secondary. 

Just now, AWinfield26 said:

This is a good point but at some positions we won't really have a choice. If we trade Harris and draft his replacement I would think that rookie would start. CB is another position were I think we won't have a choice. As of current roster sits we don't have many options in the secondary. 

Definitely possible - we do have three corners on the team who were on the roster last season and saw game time in Hughes, Hill, and Boyd, so they do have the option of playing those three if rookies happen not to be ready.  Hill/Boyd were considered steals where we got them in terms of UDFA and the 7th round.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There is always the potential that Zimmer has some tricks up his sleeve where they could run with 4 DL, 3 LB, 1 S and 3 CBs.  :)

This is true lol. Dom Capers hire, I think well see some interesting packages. With Everson Griffen gone hopefully we'll see more Anthony Barr rushing the passer. 

I would be pretty surprised to see a rookie starting opening week anywhere in the secondary. It seems more likely to me that the team would sign some low-end stopgaps free agents to man the CB and S positions if they don't feel the guys currently on the roster are capable.

The only chance I see of a rookie starting in the secondary on opening day is if they were drafted with one of the first round picks. Even then I think it is a long-shot. Zimmer doesn't start many guys on defense that hasn't built up trust with him. LB seems to the the exception. The team has been far more willing to roll the dice on offense like they are at the craps table -- sometimes resulting in the predictable result of them having crap starting at one of the offensive positions. 

12 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I wish we could get Ruggs, he would be perfect for Kirk and Thielen. I believe one of the 1st will be a CB.

I think that’s what it might come down too. CB with one of the picks and the best available WR or DL with the other. Grab an interior OL on day two.

29 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

What do you guys think of LT Alex Taylor from SC State? Pro comp is Brian O’Neill.

Who said his comp is Brian O'Neill?  Similar height sure but Alex Taylor is a freak show, he has 36 1/8" arm length, O'Neill had 34 1/8, and Taylor has 11 1/4" hands, O'Neill has 9 3/8" hands.  Taylor is just so long, but is not quite the athlete O'Neill was at Pitt when he was moved around a lot played some TE I believe on certain plays, and O'Neill did run a 4.82 in the 40 which is a crazy good time for a dude 6-7 297.

28 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I wish we could get Ruggs, he would be perfect for Kirk and Thielen. I believe one of the 1st will be a CB.

That would be a fine pickup and would love his explosive big play ability.  Guy is a standout athlete but Denver will take him.  If not then the Raiders maybe, or Jacksonville or Phili would take him as well if he dropped.  But yes would be a fine pickup no question.  

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think that’s what it might come down too. CB with one of the picks and the best available WR or DL with the other. Grab an interior OL on day two.

With Holmes, Watts, Jaleel, and Hercules those are 4 young players in the middle. I don't think DT will get taken in the rd 1 or 2 unless it's Kinlaw or Brown. I personally want to draft a DT. 

I believe it's between WR or DE with OT on standby  (If 1 of the big 4 falls) 

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I would be pretty surprised to see a rookie starting opening week anywhere in the secondary. It seems more likely to me that the team would sign some low-end stopgaps free agents to man the CB and S positions if they don't feel the guys currently on the roster are capable.

The only chance I see of a rookie starting in the secondary on opening day is if they were drafted with one of the first round picks. Even then I think it is a long-shot. Zimmer doesn't start many guys on defense that hasn't built up trust with him. LB seems to the the exception. The team has been far more willing to roll the dice on offense like they are at the craps table -- sometimes resulting in the predictable result of them having crap starting at one of the offensive positions. 

Rookie CB, even if drafted in the 1st, with no rookie camp and a compressed training camp with possibly reduced preseason games ... Under Zimmer, they'll be backups until after bye. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Who said his comp is Brian O'Neill?  Similar height sure but Alex Taylor is a freak show, he has 36 1/8" arm length, O'Neill had 34 1/8, and Taylor has 11 1/4" hands, O'Neill has 9 3/8" hands.  Taylor is just so long, but is not quite the athlete O'Neill was at Pitt when he was moved around a lot played some TE I believe on certain plays, and O'Neill did run a 4.82 in the 40 which is a crazy good time for a dude 6-7 297.

That would be a fine pickup and would love his explosive big play ability.  Guy is a standout athlete but Denver will take him.  If not then the Raiders maybe, or Jacksonville or Phili would take him as well if he dropped.  But yes would be a fine pickup no question.  

NFL Network.

1 hour ago, dc_vikingfan said:

With Holmes, Watts, Jaleel, and Hercules those are 4 young players in the middle. I don't think DT will get taken in the rd 1 or 2 unless it's Kinlaw or Brown. I personally want to draft a DT. 

I believe it's between WR or DE with OT on standby  (If 1 of the big 4 falls) 

I expect Hercules to make some noise. He’s up to 289lbs.