2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Anybody else rather at this point rather take Ruiz than an OT. I'd feel better keeping Reiff at tackle and bringing in an interior oline. Drafting an OT still leaves 2 holes in the middle of the line. Reiff has been decent nothing great at LT. Rather than moving Reiff inside and letting a rookie start at LT (Seems to me this is the direction we are headed). Things can change though, I was really hoping the Vikings woul bring back Kline. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AWinfield26 said:

Anybody else rather at this point rather take Ruiz than an OT. I'd feel better keeping Reiff at tackle and bringing in an interior oline. Drafting an OT still leaves 2 holes in the middle of the line. Reiff has been decent nothing great at LT. Rather than moving Reiff inside and letting a rookie start at LT (Seems to me this is the direction we are headed). Things can change though, I was really hoping the Vikings woul bring back Kline. 

Philosophically I agree, but don’t see a G worth pick 22 or 25. I would be fine with an G as the first OL pick if we filled DL, CB, or WR with value picks earlier. With so many needs we can’t fill them all on day 1 or 2 so I am about trying to combine bpa and value to fill as many as possible how ever it works out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWinfield26 said:

This is what I've been saying why not draft one of the top guards in the second round. Even though the tackles do look good this year. I just haven't seen tackle as a pressing need. If it ain't broke don't fix it. We could draft a tackle that busts.

40 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

This is what I've been saying why not draft one of the top guards in the second round. Even though the tackles do look good this year. I just haven't seen tackle as a pressing need. If it ain't broke don't fix it. We could draft a tackle that busts.

the top guards & tackles will all be gone well before our 2nd round pick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

the top guards & tackles will all be gone well before our 2nd round pick

Yeah, that is the way I see it to. This year isn't that much unlike other years.

If the Vikings are certain they can move back a few spots from the first round and not have any offensive linemen come off the board curing the picks they dropped behind they should try to do that. If they are not sure, they should get their guy -- presuming an offensive lineman is their guy.

Thinking the top offensive linemen will be available at their pick in the second round is not the reason they should have to not pick an offensive linemen in the first round. The Vikings need to value offensive lineman as high as the teams that have offensive lines that look like what they want. 

There's a good chance that there's still a starting caliber guard available at 58 - we also have ammo to make moves up from that spot.

A move down from 25 would make some sense too to get more into the value range for those offensive line types AND get more ammo to move around the draft with.

23 minutes ago, RpMc said:

There's a good chance that there's still a starting caliber guard available at 58 - we also have ammo to make moves up from that spot.

A move down from 25 would make some sense too to get more into the value range for those offensive line types AND get more ammo to move around the draft with.

all this talk about quality interior OL not available at 58 is hogwash

Robert Hunt

John Simpson

Damien Lewis

Lloyd Cushenberry

Matt Hennessy

Nick Harris

Are all potential interior OL that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd and have projected starting abilities. 

27 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

all this talk about quality interior OL not available at 58 is hogwash

Robert Hunt

John Simpson

Damien Lewis

Lloyd Cushenberry

Matt Hennessy

Nick Harris

Are all potential interior OL that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd and have projected starting abilities. 

None of these players actually fit a ZBS if you’re looking for someone with good feet who can move laterally. Maybe Simpson.

13 hours ago, AWinfield26 said:

Ruiz helps the team more this year if he can actually play Guard. I’d look at him in round two, potentially as a trade up. After him, it’s bleak for interior OL who fit a ZBS. May have to take a Tackle and move inside to Guard. I don’t see Tackle being an area of emphasis early given the decision to keep Reiff but I could see a Tackle being drafted to take over at Guard. Or a center for that matter. Like Ruiz.

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

None of these players actually fit a ZBS if you’re looking for someone with good feet who can move laterally. Maybe Simpson.

This is just incorrect - Hennessy, Lewis, and Cushenberry are among the top RAS athletes for interior lineman in this class; Harris isn't far behind.  Hennessy in particular is one of the best movers on the interior in the draft.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This is just incorrect - Hennessy, Lewis, and Cushenberry are among the top RAS athletes for interior lineman in this class; Harris isn't far behind.  Hennessy in particular is one of the best movers on the interior in the draft.

Agreed.  Cushenberry is actually the guy I like the most.