2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

100% OL is the top priority for me.

I'm not saying both 1st need to be OL, but at least one 1st for sure. 

I don’t think I would go O-line in the 1st now that I think about it ( I did in my draft by the way ) I think we could be better off going with a DE/DT and CB in the 1st. I think we could be better off waiting to the 3rd round and draft 2 O-line there. I just don’t think they are gonna love Riley Reiff. 

So, let’s draft 2 OG’s in the 3rd round. Love Saahdiq Charles ( I believe he will be a OG in the nfl) and Solomon Kindley. 

And yes, my 2nd round pick would be a DT and 4 of our 1st 5 picks would be linemen. I’ll take my WR’s in rounds 4 and 5.

So I watched/rewatched the championship game this week. Some notes:

1. Justin Jefferson almost exclusively lines up in the slot but is very explosive. You can get him the ball in a lot of ways. He's a bit similar to Diggs, but not nearly the route runner he is. Ja'marr Chase is clearly superior though.

2. Thaddeus Moss just needs opportunities. He may not be his dad, but he'll belong in the NFL.

3. Trevor Lawrence needs to 1) cut his hair and 2) set his freaking feet, in that order. My goodness. He was the biggest reason why Clemson lost that game. If he's as great as some are claiming him to be, he needs to clean up his mechanics. 13 overthrows is ridiculous.

4. Isaiah Simmons is going to be special. His versatility is droll-worthy. Grant Delpit can do it all too.

5. Kristian Fulton is pretty solid. Stingley is definitely better, but Fulton is worth a first round pick.

6. Tee Higgins has some Sidney Rice in him. Solid 2nd round pick.

7. I think Joe Burrow is more so a product of Joe Brady than anything else. He deserves some credit himself, but Brady is the mastermind there.

8. Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Swoooooooon.😍

using both of our first round picks on offensive linemen is an extreme mis-use of assets imo. the iOL class is bad and while the OT class is great, we aren't drafting high enough to get any of the "tier 1" guys and the second tier is deep. we don't have an urgent need for a tackle because we have two solid ones under contract this season. yes, reiff is only okay and you can say he's overpaid but he is good enough to get us through this season without using a first round pick on a tackle who will back him up for a year. i understand people are frustrated because we haven't had a good offensive line in a while but throwing as many assets as you can at the problem won't improve the team overall.

if i had to pick any position group to use our two first round picks on, it would easily be DB, specifically two corners.

11 hours ago, whitehops said:

using both of our first round picks on offensive linemen is an extreme mis-use of assets imo. the iOL class is bad and while the OT class is great, we aren't drafting high enough to get any of the "tier 1" guys and the second tier is deep. we don't have an urgent need for a tackle because we have two solid ones under contract this season. yes, reiff is only okay and you can say he's overpaid but he is good enough to get us through this season without using a first round pick on a tackle who will back him up for a year. i understand people are frustrated because we haven't had a good offensive line in a while but throwing as many assets as you can at the problem won't improve the team overall.

if i had to pick any position group to use our two first round picks on, it would easily be DB, specifically two corners.

So...how does the team upgrade it's offensive line personnel?  Since there was no ability to do anything in free agency to upgrade...and now we have a poor OL draft choices by the time the Vikings pick...what's the answer?  We have a quarterback that is much better...MUCH better when he has a somewhat stable pocket.  The reason the Vikings lost to both the Packers and the Bears last season was because their pass rush overpowered our line.  Again, what's the solution?

11 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So...how does the team upgrade it's offensive line personnel?  Since there was no ability to do anything in free agency to upgrade...and now we have a poor OL draft choices by the time the Vikings pick...what's the answer?  We have a quarterback that is much better...MUCH better when he has a somewhat stable pocket.  The reason the Vikings lost to both the Packers and the Bears last season was because their pass rush overpowered our line.  Again, what's the solution?

Well, I don’t see it being at OT in this draft. But, I’m all for drafting 2 IOL in the 3rd round. I think if we could upgrade both OG’s, Reiff and O’Neil will both benefit and make our line better. 

im all about defense with our 1st 3 picks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

1.CB

1. DE/DT

2. IOL

3. WR

3. Project OT

two OL in the first three rounds wouldn’t be bad. 

If Tackle is clearly BPA in round one, fine. Just hope they have positional flexibility because the Guards are in worse shape than the Tackles. I’d think a rookie would have an easier time transitioning to Guard than a 30 year old vet like Reiff who’s never played the spot. 

12 hours ago, whitehops said:

using both of our first round picks on offensive linemen is an extreme mis-use of assets imo.

Eliminating the possibility would be a misuse in assets. The team needs to be open-minded about what they can do. One of the options certainly ought to include using them both on offensive linemen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

The thread is for 2020 draft talk, but I promise you that the Vikings are nowhere near the top 5.

Interesting. Maybe by answering the question, it would lead to a discussion on how those teams draft o-line, and why they have success with high, mid, and late round draft picks, as well as undrafted players. 

Edited by SemperFeist