2020 Draft Talk

swede700

39 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I realize that. Mahomes was an example of the tier that most feel Lawrence will be in. I would give up that draft capital no questions asked.

Agreed.

The draft matters. But once you have a great QB in place (I believe Lawrence will be one), everything else is easier.  

Like I said, I have like 2 or 3 players that I wouldn’t include in a trade (Hunter, O’ Neill, Bradbury - maybe Harrison Smith), but I could still be swayed with anyone if the chance to get Lawrence was a reality. 

17 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Tarvaris Jackson had all of the physical tools.

I agree for the most part thought. They also have to be able to learn the mental side of things. That's probably not as easy to scout for though

Tarvaris had the arm strength of a Howitzer, but the accuracy of a machine gun.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I would give up two draft classes for Mahomes. But thats knowing what we know now. But at the time he was drafted? Definitely not.

Agreed.  I thought the trade was ridiculous at the time, but I was severely wrong.  No one, outside of maybe Andy Reid, could have anticipated how quickly he has progressed.  

4 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I am pretty much stating the obvious, but it takes less capital to build a winning team around a good franchise QB than to trying to build a team that can win with mediocrity.

Good way to put it. You may have to use that draft capital in order to acquire a great QB though.

2 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I am pretty much stating the obvious, but it takes less capital to build a winning team around a good franchise QB than to trying to build a team that can win with mediocrity.

Oh, sure, but knowing who's going to be a good franchise QB is one of the most difficult tasks to accomplish in the first place.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If you don’t take a chance, you’re stuck in mediocrity at the position. It seems that is okay with Spielman given his QB choices... Ponder, Teddy, Bradford, Cousins. None of these guys were blue chippers and all lacked top 10 upside.

There’s taking chances, and there’s being reckless. 

Would Kanas City take three 1st round picks for Mahomes, right now? 

16 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Even if they were guaranteed #1 overall picks, no way

They might change their tune when it comes time to pay him 50 million per year. Which at the rate QB deals are going, may not be far off. 

I think the idea of trading 3 first round picks for a QB, even Mahomes, would be bad strategy. Even the best QB needs talent around him, which means combining that QB's salary with lower cost talent acquired through the draft. 

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Even if they were guaranteed #1 overall picks, no way

Exactly. So if the consensus was that Lawrence, for example, was the next Mahomes, 3 first round picks wouldn’t be enough to persuade that team to pass on him. Nothing would be. 

And if they were persuaded to take the picks over the player, it brings up the question, why? And that why, is probably a good enough reason not to offer those picks. 

I must have a problem with players getting hyped up too much because the more he gets hyped up the less I think he'll pan out. Andrew luck was supposed to be the next Manning. Maybe he could have been if they put a better team around him but they couldn't get a decent without trading all of there first round picks until now but it's too late

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If you don’t take a chance, you’re stuck in mediocrity at the position. It seems that is okay with Spielman given his QB choices... Ponder, Teddy, Bradford, Cousins. None of these guys were blue chippers and all lacked top 10 upside.

I call BS there...I can agree on Ponder and Cousins, but to suggest that Teddy and Bradford weren't blue-chippers and didn't have top 10 upside is a ridiculous take not based in objective analysis.  

• Like 1