2020 Draft Talk

swede700

CB, DT and OG are probably the top needs, by far. I think the 2020 draft needs to be defense heavy, they just look old and stale. 

I think Joseph, Kline and Rhodes will be prime targets to be released for cap reasons. Not confident that Rhodes and Joseph can play at a high level and Kline, while solid, might be too expensive. Given his injury issues throughout the year, it might be hard to justify keeping him around versus going with Samia who will be much cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

CB, DT and OG are probably the top needs, by far. I think the 2020 draft needs to be defense heavy, they just look old and stale. 

I think Joseph, Kline and Rhodes will be prime targets to be released for cap reasons. Not confident that Rhodes and Joseph can play at a high level and Kline, while solid, might be too expensive. Given his injury issues throughout the year, it might be hard to justify keeping him around versus going with Samia who will be much cheaper.

While Kline may not be worth the price for his skill and/or availability,  I'd rather not go into the offseason trying to replace 2 guards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

While Kline may not be worth the price for his skill and/or availability,  I'd rather not go into the offseason trying to replace 2 guards.

You're not going to...Elflein likely will still be the starting LG as he has one more year left on his deal, and will be given a chance to prove that he can be the long-term starting LG.    

43 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I think they’d be fine letting Samia and Elflein compete for one spot, and drafting a potential starter. Kline has been solid, it’s just hard to justify keeping him as they look for cash any place they can get it. The alternative may be releasing Reiff, who I think has played pretty well as of late.

Edited by vikingsrule

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

You're not going to...Elflein likely will still be the starting LG as he has one more year left on his deal, and will be given a chance to prove that he can be the long-term starting LG.    

I could have sworn it was Elfleins last year.   Anyway, I think he's still easily the weakest link on the OL and should be upgraded if possible.

• Like 2

My personal belief is that we should spend a 1st round and a 3rd pick on the OL. With how Cousins has been playing, which has very much surprised me (in a good way), keeping him upright along with our running game, we should hit the ground running for years to come. Barring injury of course. 

The DT and CB can be found in the 2nd and 3rd round as well. I just put higher priority on the O Line

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm not sure Kinlaw will be available. If he is he should get strong consideration for our pick.

I'm pretty intrigued by what Raekwon Davis could do under Coach Patterson's tutelage. 

Most mocks at this point don't have Kinlaw available at where the Vikings would pick.  I know last year before Davis said he wasn't coming out, he was a popular pick for the Vikings.  

With how bad they got ran on in Seattle DL right now seems to absolutely be the #1 need.  Kinlaw would be great, that has been discussed but Leki Fotu I would love as well, he is having a great game so far in the Pac-12 championship game, huge dude who is a force in the middle.  He might be around 2nd round but could see him sneaking into the 1st round.  Marlon Davidson I like as well but is more a pass rusher and or 3/4 DE but could be a great pass rushing DT he has promise.  Davon Hamilton is a good run stopper and could be around 2nd to 3rd round so he could be of interest.  Sleeper later round guys would be Robert Windsor, Ross Blacklock, Carlos Davis, Bravvion Roy and Darrion Daniels.  

Curtis Weaver would be of interest late 1st round as a DE also I feel.  Not as big of a need as DT but is a need nonetheless.  Julian Okwara, DJ Wonnum, Khalid Kareem are also DEs to look at in the middle rounds.  Joe Gaziano could be a steal 2nd round, kid gives great effort and is a consistent pass rusher off the edge.  Raekwon Davis could easily be around late 1st because he has not played great this year, well really the past two seasons but with the right coach would be interesting how good he could be.