2020 Draft Talk

swede700

42 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If we were to sign Kirk to an extension in the off-season and sign a Guard in free agency, I wouldn’t complain about spending our first 5 picks on DTs and CBs. 

I would agree with this, except I'd probably draft the BPA-OL with one of our 3rd round picks.

5 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I would agree with this, except I'd probably draft the BPA-OL with one of our 3rd round picks.

I would, too.  But we have to realise that an OL drafted in The 3rd Round is not likely to be able to start the season as a regular player, maybe not even play as a back-up for the first several games.  But that would be okay, IF he'll be a quick learner, and can help the team later in the season.  Anyone who could step in right away in the starter position and help his team would be gone by The 3rd Round.  But, O'Neill and Bradbury will be much improved, and the free agent will help, and perhaps Rashod Hill will surprise a lot of people.  So. The Vikings will have The 3rd Rounder in the pipeline, but won't be forced to play him before he's ready.

I just read an Athletic article from Dane Brugler, which says that the OT class is top-heavy with potentially 3 going in the first 10 picks (which appears to be Wills from 'bama, Wirfs from Iowa, and Thomas from Georgia) and he has 6 overall in the first round.  It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out and pushes down some other positions should it come to pass, because I'm not sure the Vikings would be in a position to take one of those 6.  I think they're going to need a new nose tackle to replace Linval, because while Watts and Johnson are certainly passable, I'm not sure if they are built to play the NT position in the long-term.  Obviously Derrick Brown would be a pipe-dream replacement, but that ain't gonna happen...maybe Raekwon Davis would be the next on my list and certainly wouldn't be an upsetting pick.  

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I just read an Athletic article from Dane Brugler, which says that the OT class is top-heavy with potentially 3 going in the first 10 picks (which appears to be Wills from 'bama, Wirfs from Iowa, and Thomas from Georgia) and he has 6 overall in the first round.  It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out and pushes down some other positions should it come to pass, because I'm not sure the Vikings would be in a position to take one of those 6.  I think they're going to need a new nose tackle to replace Linval, because while Watts and Johnson are certainly passable, I'm not sure if they are built to play the NT position in the long-term.  Obviously Derrick Brown would be a pipe-dream replacement, but that ain't gonna happen...maybe Raekwon Davis would be the next on my list and certainly wouldn't be an upsetting pick.  

I think we need a defensive heavy draft. I’d probably take a first round CB, second round DT, and add a DE in round 3. Not knowing players of course, I’d gladly take a DT first if there is better value. Guard or Tackle probably waits until the middle of the draft as the defense needs to be retooled.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:23 AM, vikingsrule said:

I think we need a defensive heavy draft. I’d probably take a first round CB, second round DT, and add a DE in round 3. Not knowing players of course, I’d gladly take a DT first if there is better value. Guard or Tackle probably waits until the middle of the draft as the defense needs to be retooled.

For the most part, I'd agree. I hope we address DT or OL in free agency, so we can have a bit of flexibility in the early rounds.

I hope we resign Waynes and Alexander so we don't use a 1st on a CB. I think those two, plus Hill and Hughes with another year under their belts, will be sufficient if the interior pass rush is adequately addressed.

21 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

If Vikings go CB again in the 1st can it please be a playmaking style CB. This year and last season Waynes and Rhodes have combined for 3 picks. Zimmer defense is built around everyone doing their job but there's no way starting CB's should have just 3 picks in nearly 2 seasons.

I get that but we have 9 interceptions from our Safeties this year. That makes up for it a bit.

I want Kinlaw in the first and Winfield in the second!

Is it simulator season yet?  I've seen a lot of posts on twitter from the draft network guys and how they're approaching rebuilding some of the bottom feeding teams, so it put me in the mood to draft.

Working under the assumption that

CB - Rhodes is out the door, Waynes/Alexander are both extended and the corner opposite Waynes is a competition between Hill/Hughes
S - Anthony Harris earns an extension, Andrew Sendejo is kept as cheap depth, and Jayron Kearse leaves the team.
QB - Cousins is extended to add to our salary cap space - first year of the extension is modeled after Matt Ryan's to provide cap flexibility as the bigger cap hits are easier to absorb in the future as players like Riley Reiff and Everson Griffen come off the books, and the cap likely increases. Brings Cousins' first year cap hit for 2020 to around $17M ($14M freed up)
DT - Shamar Stephen is released as Jaleel Johnson (finally) and Armon Watts have shown the capability to step up and play as rotational pieces. Linval Joseph stays another year

The Draft

1 - Raekwon Davis (DT - Alabama)
2 - Prince Tega Wanogho (LT - Auburn)
3 - Tyler Johnson (WR - Minnesota)
4 - Ben Bredeson (LG - Michigan)
- Eric Stokes (CB - Georgia)
6 - Qunitez Cephus (WR - Wisconsin)
7 - Christian Rector (EDGE - USC)

Big school heavy draft, and the board didn't fall the way I had necessarily hoped.  Davis is coming off of a slumping season, but the tools to be something special are there for someone like Andre Patterson to develop.

Prince Tega Wanogho is a big, athletic, ball of clay that we can develop behind Reiff for this year and will potentially end up with us having a pair of uber athletic bookend tackles for the next decade.

I went a bit homer with the Tyler Johnson pick as other receivers were available (Peoples-Jones from Michigan for example), but I think he would be a good pairing with the players that we already have as an option that, like Thielen/Diggs, play multiple spots in the receiving core

Bredeson relishes being a finisher and is a very good mover on the inside - hailed as the top pass blocking guard by PFF this year and is a two time team captain (18-19). A future lineup of Wanogho - Bredeson - Bradbury - Samia - O'Neill is incredibly enticing as an athletic group with fiery players than enjoy finishing blocks.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2