2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

As a bit of a homer and an avid supporter of Virginia athletics, how would you guys feel about spending a mid round pick on Bryce Perkins - QB - Virginia.  

He has played on an inferior team to most in the ACC but due to his singular talent, they still met Clemson in the ACC Championship, and played Florida very well in the Orange Bowl last night.  Virginia is an improving team but without him, they probably don’t make a Bowl game at all. 

Check him out

I hope that Sam Ehlinger declares for the draft. I would take him in the 3rd round. He seems like the perfect fit for our offense. Great in the pocket and can also run when need. Given how good our run game is right now, I see Sam being a great addition to this team and a future potential pro bowl QB. 

we could let him sit and learn for a full year and give him the nod in 2021...

Just did a 4 round mock draft and here is who I have the Vikings taking.  Gives one a little idea of the players around those ranges possibly.

1st round 24 - Alaric Jackson Iowa RS JR OT/OG
2nd round 55 - Amik Robertson La Tech JR CB
3rd round 88- Davon Hamilton Ohio State RS SR DT
4th round 120- Jared Pinkney Vandy RS SR TE

Not super impressed with the OL talent there potentially, Jackson would be ok but I think he is a guard at the next level.  Could go with Wade at CB no doubt but that OL needs the most help and they better get OL fast because the good ones will be gone quickly.  

Would love Hamilton 3rd round as a big run stopper, Robertson is a quality CB and would be a good value 2nd round and Pinkney would be a steal 4th round.  Not sure he drops that far but Vikings need a 3rd TE and should move on from Conklin if possible and get a better blocker in there than Irv Smith.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm going to keep an eye on Mekhi Becton, the massive OT from Louisville. Could be a dark-horse target right now.

One website has him going in the 1st or 2nd round.  Do you think he would be available with our 2nd round pick?  Or would you draft him in the 1st round?  Also, if we did draft him, play him at RT and move O'Neill to LT?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, perrynoid said:

One website has him going in the 1st or 2nd round.  Do you think he would be available with our 2nd round pick?  Or would you draft him in the 1st round?  Also, if we did draft him, play him at RT and move O'Neill to LT?

Based on what little I’ve read I think we’d have to take him round 1. 

If it were up to me I’m playing him at LT and keeping O’Neill at RT. 

22 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm going to keep an eye on Mekhi Becton, the massive OT from Louisville. Could be a dark-horse target right now.

Very true but if we get him then what you do with Reiff?  Becton I think sticks at tackle and might not be a great guard, where Alaric Jackson could play both OT or OG and right now OG is the bigger need to me than OT for the Vikings.  Jonah Jackson might fit as well as a possible OG late 1st round.

Becton is a very solid athlete for his massive size but is not really nasty in the run game, would like if he blocked more aggressively there.  

Would be a very interesting choice for the Vikings to take him and honestly he is a better prospect long term than Alaric Jackson with more upside, but they would have to then either can Reiff or move him to guard which probably is not the best idea either way.

14 hours ago, RpMc said:

Trey Smith (LG; Tennessee) is balling!! All about the medical for him if he decides to come out, but someone of his ability is direly needed on that left side.

Got to love his aggression in the run game but he does get off balance a lot and out of control at times.  Love the intensity he blocks with though, my guess is he returns to school but will see.  Yeah the medical stuff for him is very scary, could not only end his career but his life and not sure blood clots in the lungs just go away and he has had them twice I believe while at Tennessee.  

He is easily the best OG in the draft run blocking wise and overall upside, but again I just think he goes back to school to help get his health straight and have another solid season of play to help prove his health is tip top.

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true but if we get him then what you do with Reiff?  Becton I think sticks at tackle and might not be a great guard, where Alaric Jackson could play both OT or OG and right now OG is the bigger need to me than OT for the Vikings.  Jonah Jackson might fit as well as a possible OG late 1st round.

Becton is a very solid athlete for his massive size but is not really nasty in the run game, would like if he blocked more aggressively there.  

Would be a very interesting choice for the Vikings to take him and honestly he is a better prospect long term than Alaric Jackson with more upside, but they would have to then either can Reiff or move him to guard which probably is not the best idea either way.

Reiff and Becton compete for the starting LT spot. Hopefully Becton beats Reiff and he becomes a camp-cut. That would be my ideal scenario with Rashod Hill being the swing-tackle.

Agreed that guard is still a huge need.

• Like 1