2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Throwing Justin Madubuike out there as a potential Vikings pick in the 2nd or 3rd round as well.  Not a massive fan but the guy is tough at the point of attack and very strong and hard to move.  Could be a decent value but I still think Davidson would be nice with his pass rush potential and others being Leki Fotu 3rd round or 2nd, Jordon Scott is a hell of a run defender and already said Bravvion Roy is a damn good DT as well along with Davon Hamilton.

So Vikings got plenty of 2nd to 3rd round options at DT and should not really spend a 1st one one unless it is Kinlaw which probably will never happen, he is gone by then. 

In terms of cuts they have to make them, especially if they sign a 1st round OT which could easily happen, Reiff then has to go and Griffen is possibly not worth what he is paid but is a hell of a locker room guy so maybe he would take a pay cut or could restructure it.  I would rather see Waynes and Kearse go, maybe even Alexander over Griffen but either way to get some freaking money to spend.  

Just now, VikeManDan said:

Am I wrong in thinking that it is Griffen that needs to void the contract and not the team? I thought I had heard/read that somewhere. 

I am not totally sure but why would Griffen void a contract that pays him more money that he probably should be getting at his age?  Like around $12, $13 and $14 over the next three years seems like a ton.  Makes more sense if the team can void it but I am not totally sure either.

Just now, Ozzy said:

I am not totally sure but why would Griffen void a contract that pays him more money that he probably should be getting at his age?  Like around $12, $13 and $14 over the next three years seems like a ton.  Makes more sense if the team can void it but I am not totally sure either.

It makes sense, for him, if he feels he can get more on the open market. 

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

It makes sense, for him, if he feels he can get more on the open market. 

I guess you are right and that is the case.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28387348/sources-everson-griffen-become-free-agent-thanks-sacks-clause-contract

Good luck for a 32 year old pass rusher to get more than that, no way he could but who knows.  He is the 4th highest paid player on the team next year and the fact he only gets about $1 million less than Danielle Hunter is flat out insane.  Hunter is like a 10, Griffen is like a 6.

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's a lot to replace

Reiff is probably the most challenging/concerning.

Rhodes is addition by subtraction

Griffin, I love the guy but he's too expensive even with a restructure most likely and his disappearing act on the latter part of the season has become a trend. I'm also willing to give Ifedi a season to prove himself bc he look like an NFL starter imo.

Joseph is tough because i think he still good but he plays NT, and its just not a valuable position. A restructure would be nice, but Watts also looks legit so a replacement tentatively looks to be in place but it's pretty early to make that call....but again it's nose tackle.

With Reiff its tough because they don't have anyone they can trust to replace him and its obviously a valuable position. Luckily he has been mostly ok during his tenure and keeping him short term probably isnt a bad idea, but please prioritize a replacement.

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

That's a lot to replace

The roster has to be overhauled to become cheaper and younger. That’s just the nature of having a roster full of 30 year olds who have peaked. That’s why many thought the window for a championship was going to soon close. We may be there in 2020 leaning on young players who haven’t proven anything. Seattle went through the same thing a couple of years ago and now that team isnt nearly as talented as they used to be, but they have a legit franchise QB carrying them. We don’t have that in Cousins. 

I’d prioritize finding a new LT, DT and CB in the first three rounds and let the rest be filled with whatever is left on the roster.

Griffen had a big impact today. I like the backups but i do think we'd feel the impact of not having Griffen. The backups are good in a rotational role.

I don't see how they could let Reiff go before the draft unless they sign someone.

Rhodes shouldn't be hard to replace

Linval isn't the same player but letting him go would create a need. Hopefully someone would be able to step up

• Like 1