2020 Draft Talk

swede700

16 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Griffen had a big impact today. I like the backups but i do think we'd feel the impact of not having Griffen. The backups are good in a rotational role.

I don't see how they could let Reiff go before the draft unless they sign someone.

Rhodes shouldn't be hard to replace

Linval isn't the same player but letting him go would create a need. Hopefully someone would be able to step up

Griffen had a big impact, but his body doesn't look the same to me and he's not quite as quick twitch as he once was.  I don't think he comes back unless he's willing to take another pay cut with guaranteed money, ala Greenway.  

I have a sneaking suspicion that they might bring back Rhodes at a reduced salary as well.  They are likely going to need him for depth, if anything.  

I don't see them moving on from Reiff yet, as they don't have a real replacement...and Linval might have to do the same as Griffen.  

Either way, they'll have to draft some replacements for them, if they don't have those people in place already.  

Edited by swede700

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't see them moving on from Reiff yet, as they don't have a real replacement

I’m not sure about that. The way Udoh performed against Khalil Mack in week 17, there was enough there to feel good moving forward with him. 

Moving O’Neill to LT has never been a move I’ve been keen about, but Udoh’s performance has me warming up to the idea. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure about that. The way Udoh performed against Khalil Mack in week 17, there was enough there to feel good moving forward with him. 

Moving O’Neill to LT has never been a move I’ve been keen about, but Udoh’s performance has me warming up to the idea. 

Fair enough...I ended up not even watching the Bears game, so I didn't see how he played.  

• Like 1

So, Tagovailoa has declared for the 2020 NFL draft.  What implications does this hold for the Vikings?  The linked video mentions that due to the severity of his injuries, he might fall to the latter part of the first round.  At the very least, this might push down a player we might not otherwise have a shot at.  Do we take the risk, and draft Kirk's successor at 32?

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-declares-for-2020-nfl-draft-170848305.html

• Like 1

Just now, perrynoid said:

So, Tagovailoa has declared for the 2020 NFL draft.  What implications does this hold for the Vikings?  The linked video mentions that due to the severity of his injuries, he might fall to the latter part of the first round.  At the very least, this might push down a player we might not otherwise have a shot at.  Do we take the risk, and draft Kirk's successor at 32?

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-declares-for-2020-nfl-draft-170848305.html

Not if we're picking 32 :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hagar said:

What quarterback(s), if any, would need to fall to us to take one in the first? Are there other QBs to get in other rounds you'd be comfortable with taking over in 2021 if we move on from Cousins?

I would take Tagovailoa  with our first round pick, unless Kinlaw is on the board.  We only need to improve 3-tech and a few OL spots to become an elite team.  We are loaded with talent, some of which is waiting in the wings.  The Spiel really killed the latter part of the 2019 draft, imho: Watts, Udoh and Boyd look to become promising players in the League.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, perrynoid said:

Since there are teams well below the cap spending, and since teams have to spend a certain percentage of their cap, might we be able to swing a trade with one of those teams for Rhodes?  Might we be able to squeeze a 4th or 5th round pick for him?

If you're talkng about potentially releasing a player because they're too expensive, why would another team give up ANYTHING of value for that?  They'll wait until he's released and throw some money at him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you're talkng about potentially releasing a player because they're too expensive, why would another team give up ANYTHING of value for that?  They'll wait until he's released and throw some money at him.

For one, they have to spend a minimum of their cap, correct?  Or face penalties?  Also, if someone is cut they are free to negotiate with any team, and might not end up there.  In addition, they might (in other words, it is worth a try) be willing to part with a pick.  It only takes one team.  I think it more likely, in Rhodes case, that he accepts a re-worked contract to stay with the Vikes.

6 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

For one, they have to spend a minimum of their cap, correct?  Or face penalties?  Also, if someone is cut they are free to negotiate with any team, and might not end up there.  In addition, they might (in other words, it is worth a try) be willing to part with a pick.  It only takes one team.  I think it more likely, in Rhodes case, that he accepts a re-worked contract to stay with the Vikes.

So...if their option is to spend money on a FA (and not give up a DP) or give a DP to acquire a guy who the Vikings are more likely than not going to release, why would they give up a DP?

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...if their option is to spend money on a FA (and not give up a DP) or give a DP to acquire a guy who the Vikings are more likely than not going to release, why would they give up a DP?

First, when people are being shopped around, there is no guarantee that if not traded, they will eventually be released.  There are teams that have a lot of cap space, and need help at certain positions, that might be willing to trade for someone like Rhodes.  This season, for example, the Rams traded Aqib Talib and a 5th round pick to the Dolphins for a conditional pick.  Cleveland traded Genard Avery to the Eagles for a conditional pick.  It is often the case that when pre-season is nearing an end, teams trade players away who are likely to be cut anyway, and of course receive nominal compensation for the player.  Thus, this is not some rare thing to trade a player for a draft pick, and all I am saying is that it is an option with Rhodes.  My preference would be to re-negotiate his contract, but I am not the GM lol so what I would do is a moot point.  IN other words, my long answer to your short question is that most teams would not be expecting the Vikings to release Rhodes outright, and thus be willing to exchange some modest compensation in the form of a mid-to-late round draft pick for him.

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

First, when people are being shopped around, there is no guarantee that if not traded, they will eventually be released.  There are teams that have a lot of cap space, and need help at certain positions, that might be willing to trade for someone like Rhodes.  This season, for example, the Rams traded Aqib Talib and a 5th round pick to the Dolphins for a conditional pick.  Cleveland traded Genard Avery to the Eagles for a conditional pick.  It is often the case that when pre-season is nearing an end, teams trade players away who are likely to be cut anyway, and of course receive nominal compensation for the player.  Thus, this is not some rare thing to trade a player for a draft pick, and all I am saying is that it is an option with Rhodes.  My preference would be to re-negotiate his contract, but I am not the GM lol so what I would do is a moot point.  IN other words, my long answer to your short question is that most teams would not be expecting the Vikings to release Rhodes outright, and thus be willing to exchange some modest compensation in the form of a mid-to-late round draft pick for him.

Your argument was about meeting the salary cap floor.  By trading for Xavier Rhodes, you're committing to spending $8.1M on him next year.  If the option is to give a draft pick to have Xavier Rhodes at $8.1M or spend in FA and not give up the draft pick, why would a team want to give up a draft pick?  You use the Aqib Talib trade as an example.  The Rams gave up a 5th round pick to unload Aqib Talib's contract.  In return, the Rams received a 7th round pick.  The Rams downgraded picks in order to save money.  As for the Avery trade, Avery counted slightly over 300k against the salary cap and was a former a 5th round pick.  Not even close to being the same.  The notion that you're going to get something for your overpriced veteran is crazy.  If you're wanting to do the Talib trade, by all means go right ahead.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your argument was about meeting the salary cap floor.  By trading for Xavier Rhodes, you're committing to spending $8.1M on him next year.  If the option is to give a draft pick to have Xavier Rhodes at $8.1M or spend in FA and not give up the draft pick, why would a team want to give up a draft pick?  You use the Aqib Talib trade as an example.  The Rams gave up a 5th round pick to unload Aqib Talib's contract.  In return, the Rams received a 7th round pick.  The Rams downgraded picks in order to save money.  As for the Avery trade, Avery counted slightly over 300k against the salary cap and was a former a 5th round pick.  Not even close to being the same.  The notion that you're going to get something for your overpriced veteran is crazy.  If you're wanting to do the Talib trade, by all means go right ahead.

Well, I never claimed it was a sure thing, just an option to be examined.  Which is why I asked the question in the first place, to get people's input as to what they think Rhodes might fetch in a trade.  You think he is not trade-worthy, I don't know for sure one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A team might be willing to give nominal trade compensation because their perception could be that a FA of comparable  talent might not be available, or that the FA of comparable talent would cost them more than what Rhodes is making, and thus worth a mid-to-late round pick.