2020 Draft Talk

swede700

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Zimmer can find a use for 3 safeties but on the other hand, how many years does Smith have left?

Zimmer has typically not pushed for Safety’s early. Question though, what if the Vikes took a different Safety, despite signing Harris, over a DT, CB Or OL. What would the reaction be? I’m just wondering if the interest is merely because he’s Antoine’s kid, when Safety is one of the best starting units of the team. We will need depth no doubt but we very well could be drafting a starter in round 3 due to a cap purge.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

"The big DT out of Oklahoma (by way of Canada) has been quite good this season. Though he’s built like a traditional nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, he actually has very good athleticism as a pass rusher. This sort of versatility will be both welcomed and cultivated by defensive-minded head coach Mike Zimmer. If he reaches his full potential, Gallimore has Pro Bowl appearances in his future."

https://newarena.com/nfl/2020-nfl-draft-mock-2-0-tua-injury-shakes-up-1st-round/7/?amxt=ref_inview_7

I go with the BPA theory. It isn't sexy and requires dispassion, but the worst draft tragedies we've had is when someone's fallen in love with a player. I give you Troy Williamson (7th overall) and Erasmus James (18th) in 2005. Don't remember them? There a reason for that. I give you Christian Ponder. And dear Lord does anyone recall we actually traded up for Tarvaris Jackson? For that alone I will always picture Brad Childress with devil horns. 

You're set at one position or another? Well, a torn ACL later you're not. Just get the guys that can play ball. Experience has shown that trying to fill a slot typically goes wrong.

(And for the truly aged - Leo Hayden.) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mediumlebowski said:

I go with the BPA theory. It isn't sexy and requires dispassion, but the worst draft tragedies we've had is when someone's fallen in love with a player. I give you Troy Williamson (7th overall) and Erasmus James (18th) in 2005. Don't remember them? There a reason for that. I give you Christian Ponder. And dear Lord does anyone recall we actually traded up for Tarvaris Jackson? For that alone I will always picture Brad Childress with devil horns. 

You're set at one position or another? Well, a torn ACL later you're not. Just get the guys that can play ball. Experience has shown that trying to fill a slot typically goes wrong.

(And for the truly aged - Leo Hayden.) 

BPA is far too subjective to actually understand if this is a valid strategy. A teams BPA may vary significantly across the league and may vary significantly from what the media feeds.

13 hours ago, upriser7 said:

I think the poster was referring to Anthony Harris, not Harrison Smith

No, he actually said Smith.  We were talking about Harris initially, but then he wanted to know how long Smith had left on his deal because, as the talk centered about drafting Winfield, if we extended Harris, then Winfield wouldn't see the field much until Harry retired.  

Edited by swede700

On 1/8/2020 at 3:35 PM, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer has typically not pushed for Safety’s early. Question though, what if the Vikes took a different Safety, despite signing Harris, over a DT, CB Or OL. What would the reaction be? I’m just wondering if the interest is merely because he’s Antoine’s kid, when Safety is one of the best starting units of the team. We will need depth no doubt but we very well could be drafting a starter in round 3 due to a cap purge.

Safety would make sense but honestly if it is up to signing Alexander, Waynes or Harris.  You go Harris all day long because he has out performed both of those two corners combined.  So give Harris the money and draft a CB instead of a safety then.  Probably still need a safety in the later rounds though.

Winfield Jr is great but he is gone by the early 2nd round so doubt we could even get him in the 2nd honestly.  

Sucks now that the Vikings are even lower in the draft, doubt they could even get a guy like Becton or Austin Jackson at OT.  Only guys left could be arguably Jonah Jackson OG who I would not mind or Josh Jones at OT who is a bit of a reach for the 1st round.  

4. NY Giants  - Tristan Wirfs Iowa JR OT
6. LA Chargers  - Andrew Thomas Georgia JR OT
10. Cleveland  - Jedrick Willis Alabama JR OT
11. NY Jets  - Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS JR C
22. Buffalo  - Austin Jackson USC JR OT
23. New England  - Mekhi Becton Louisville JR OT
26. Seattle  - Trey Adams Washington RS SR OT
32. Baltimore  - Jonah Jackson Ohio State SR OG

2nd
33. Cincinnati  - Josh Jones Houston RS SR OT
42. Jacksonville  - Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR OG

Trey Smith is returning to Tennessee so there goes another OG, Kindley declared from Georgia but he is not a high level prospect at OG or really a great scheme fit.  Will see what Humphrey does, if he returns to OU and I think he will, best bet might be for Jonah Jackson or just go for another position all together like CB especially if we resign Harris.  AJ Terrell could be an option or even better Bryce Hall if he gets through everything physically.