2020 Draft Talk

swede700

33 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Which is why they have no OGs on the roster they drafted worth a damn. Because like you, the FO doesn't value OGs. Which is how you end up with awful OG play. Year after year

This years interior lineman drafted 1st round history.

2019:

Lindstrom: very limited play, hurt. Gone before our pick.

Bradberry: about the worst graded center.

2018:

Nelson: absolutely would have drafted him. Was probably the best interior lineman ranked in the drafts history. But he was gone before our pick.

Ragnow: probably the fan favorite, but gone before our pick. 

Price: not sure if he has even stepped on the field yet. 

2017: 

Lamp: highest drafted interior lineman, but was actually drafted in the second round. Again, hurt and barely stepped on the field.

2016: 

Ryan Kelly: pretty solid center so far. About par for the course. But he was drafted before our pick.

Joshua Garrett: out of the league. Believe if we weren’t targeting a WR in the draft he was a fan favorite.

2015:

Brandon Scherff: stud when he stays healthy. We also didn’t have a top 5 pick to select him. 

Cam Erving: rotation backup and was laughed out of his starting position and continually one of the worst graded lineman in the league. 

Laken Tomlinson: pretty good, about an average starter. Probably would be a slight improvement over Elflien.

the fact is, not many Guards are found early in the draft. At least not round one. Most of these will be tackles stopping pass rushers who tend to not live up to their hype, or skill players. Am I against drafting one early if the right guy is there? Absolutely not, but you can see where outside of Nelson and Scherff their haven’t been any sort of hits at the guard position early in the draft.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

This years interior lineman drafted 1st round history.

2019:

Lindstrom: very limited play, hurt. Gone before our pick.

Bradberry: about the worst graded center.

2018:

Nelson: absolutely would have drafted him. Was probably the best interior lineman ranked in the drafts history. But he was gone before our pick.

Ragnow: probably the fan favorite, but gone before our pick. 

Price: not sure if he has even stepped on the field yet. 

2017: 

Lamp: highest drafted interior lineman, but was actually drafted in the second round. Again, hurt and barely stepped on the field.

2016: 

Ryan Kelly: pretty solid center so far. About par for the course. But he was drafted before our pick.

Joshua Garrett: out of the league. Believe if we weren’t targeting a WR in the draft he was a fan favorite.

2015:

Brandon Scherff: stud when he stays healthy. We also didn’t have a top 5 pick to select him. 

Cam Erving: rotation backup and was laughed out of his starting position and continually one of the worst graded lineman in the league. 

Laken Tomlinson: pretty good, about an average starter. Probably would be a slight improvement over Elflien.

the fact is, not many Guards are found early in the draft. At least not round one. Most of these will be tackles stopping pass rushers who tend to not live up to their hype, or skill players. Am I against drafting one early if the right guy is there? Absolutely not, but you can see where outside of Nelson and Scherff their haven’t been any sort of hits at the guard position early in the draft.

Or round two either, right? And how many in round three so far? They don't value guard play, so it stinks. So bad the QB had no chance yesterday. And this was predictable.....

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Or round two either, right? And how many in round three so far? They don't value guard play, so it stinks. So bad the QB had no chance yesterday. And this was predictable.....

Oh absolutely. I’m also fine with drafting one and I agree. And I think they realized it, and it’s why they went after Bradberry last year. Value was there and was the best center in the draft. 
Also our guards this year were basically a top 5 interior free agent in Kline and a 3rd rounder in Elfein.

this year the guy could be Tyler Biadiaz, highly ranked interior lineman. Could be a round 1/2 guy we could target. 

55 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Oh absolutely. I’m also fine with drafting one and I agree. And I think they realized it, and it’s why they went after Bradberry last year. Value was there and was the best center in the draft. 
Also our guards this year were basically a top 5 interior free agent in Kline and a 3rd rounder in Elfein.

this year the guy could be Tyler Biadiaz, highly ranked interior lineman. Could be a round 1/2 guy we could target. 

No way the Vikings have a chance at Biadiaz unless they trade up, he is gone either to the Jets, Raiders, Tampa, Atlanta, Miami or Jacksonville etc.  Especially since many teams want a high level interior lineman and he is arguably the only one worth drafting 1st round, the rest are all tackles.

Sure the Vikings could strike gold 2nd round with Jonah Jackson but he is probably gone, John Simpson I would love.  Or Stenberg 3rd round or Lemieux/Marcus Keyes later 4th round range.  

Most likely would be Becton, Josh Jones or Austin Jackson but Jackson might not even declare.  And Reiff cannot transition to OG so that is an issue also.  And not sure one moves O'Neill to OG considering he is the best tackle on the team.  

Went through the same crap this past off season, Vikings get Kline who I disliked and he was nothing great this year, only positive is he was not as bad as Eflein which is not saying much.  Joe Thuney is probably going to get a ton of money with his All pro nod.  Not a ton else, Scherff they could never afford, same with Peat.  Maybe Samia develops but Udoh has the most talent of any backup on the team so maybe something with him, but would not be helped if we draft a OT first round his development.

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

No way the Vikings have a chance at Biadiaz unless they trade up, he is gone either to the Jets, Raiders, Tampa, Atlanta, Miami or Jacksonville etc. 

As we have seen in past years, sometimes..... guards just dont typically go as early as we thought, and with so many high End skill positions this year I just don’t see him going top 20. I’m not nearly as dug in to talk to much on it yet, but I don’t see him as a Nelson type, or anything near that to go top 10.

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

As we have seen in past years, sometimes..... guards just dont typically go as early as we thought, and with so many high End skill positions this year I just don’t see him going top 20. I’m not nearly as dug in to talk to much on it yet, but I don’t see him as a Nelson type, or anything near that to go top 10.

Really?   Jets have no starting center, that is why they brought Ryan Kalil back from retirement.  Dolphins for sure is a total option with as many 1st round picks they got, I could see them taking him in a second with Kilgore as the other option at center.  And the Jaguars have Brandon Linder but could move him to guard and draft Biadiaz or put Biadiaz at guard either way.  Bucs could want him if they want to put him at guard, Atlanta might if they want to move from Mack or get him as a guard etc.  I just feel with so little IOL talent he is taken long before the Vikings pick.

Would be great for them if they drop but if not there is really no OG options in the 1st round in many ways.

9 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Want to know the best way to fix the offensive line ails we've had for seemingly 300 years?

Better quarterback play that can actually create out of structure.

There is something to be said about that, creative out of the pocket.  But you gonna trust Jalen Hurts?  I would not 1st round, Justin Herbert I would love if he drops but even he is pretty raw as a passer also.  Shea Patterson can create off script and I have said before he could be a decent backup.  Would be nice for the Vikings to draft at least a developmental back QB in his draft no doubt.  

Tua fails all his physical tests and drops like a rock, would love that but doubt it happens.  Kirk honestly was not the problem this year, best QB in the world could have done little to nothing with that OL blocking in some of those games.  

13 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Want to know the best way to fix the offensive line ails we've had for seemingly 300 years?

Better quarterback play that can actually create out of structure.

Nah. I like the concept, but Wilson would’ve been crushed yesterday. Need better guard play.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Nah. I like the concept, but Wilson would’ve been crushed yesterday. Need better guard play.

Like maybe but, we can all cry to the heaven's how the line has been terrible for 18 years while we completely miss the point which is that the talent at QB has been average at best for Zimmer's entire tenure.

We're all just so used to it that we've conceived ourselves that you actually don't need an elite QB.

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Like maybe but, we can all cry to the heaven's how the line has been terrible for 18 years while we completely miss the point which is that the talent at QB has been average at best for Zimmer's entire tenure.

We're all just so used to it that we've conceived ourselves that you actually don't need an elite QB.

Ya. No one has said that. 

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I would love an elite QB, and was a big time Lamar Jackson advocate - but my original point is that an elite QB would have struggled yesterday. That means the talent on the line is not sufficient. I’ve also been ok with the amount of resources allocated to the position, but they just don’t have the horses at this point.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would love an elite QB, and was a big time Lamar Jackson advocate - but my original point is that an elite QB would have struggled yesterday. That means the talent on the line is not sufficient. I’ve also been ok with the amount of resources allocated to the position, but they just don’t have the horses at this point.

I agree that the horses aren't there right now, mostly because Elflin is such a liability, but Wilson, Mahomes, or Brees make that game competitive. Hell even Jackson or Watson might have.

People are really over looking that cousins did not play well yesterday (no I am not blaming him for the loss). And the fact that a big reason our offensive line is such a recurring issue year over year is that, outside of maybe Keenum, the QB has rarely helped the line out. They've mostly played up to the performance of the o line and that's a big issue because play at that unit isn't sustainable year to year.