2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Looking at it more trading out of that 1st round spot makes a ton of sense if one could get a high 2nd and a 4th or something for it.  Unless they are thinking of moving on from Reiff where OT would be a big need.  

Trading out would allow them to get Jonah Jackson or John Simpson 2nd round along with getting a solid DT like one of these guys, Raekwon Davis, Marlon Davidson, Bravvion Roy, Jordon Scott or Justin Madubuike later in that 2nd round.  

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

It was hyperbole but I personally know fans who are walking on that street

Yeah I would love to move on from Cousins and that contract, ideal would be the Titans situation where you get a Tannehill type for cheap and win that way with a low priced QB who people think is done for.  But that is not that easy to pull off.  Sure I would not mind Case at or a little under the contract he has now with Washington, but is that going to get the team wins with a bad OL?  No.  Even give them Marcus Mariota at a low contract, they still would not win with him and that OL the way it is.  So that is why many think the OL has to get fixed first and really it does.

• Like 1

So, I haven't done a ton of scouting yet, but CBS has the Vikings taking Mekhi Becton, OT from Louisville. He sounds similar in athletic profile to O'Neil, Becton caught a TD in their bowl game and despite his massive size he can still move, which is huge in a zone blocking scheme.

In this scenario, it's painful for me to see Kristian Fulton come off the board 2 picks before, as he's basically Xavier Rhodes, if he were good. But still, OL has to be the highest priority this offseason.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Anyway, what are people's thoughts?

If a very good OT prospect were on the board, it would be tough to pass on him, however, I’m not quite on the “they need an OT” bandwagon. I was very impressed with the way that Osi Udoh handled Khalil Mack in the week 17 matchup with Chicago. I think the Vikings have something in him. 

I’m looking at 3-technique or a CB in the first round, and possibly QB if one slides. The LG position needs a big boost, but I’m looking at the 2nd/3rd round for that. 

But, given how CBS has that mock draft falling, its a very solid pick. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If a very good OT prospect were on the board, it would be tough to pass on him, however, I’m not quite on the “they need an OT” bandwagon. I was very impressed with the way that Osi Udoh handled Khalil Mack in the week 17 matchup with Chicago. I think the Vikings have something in him. 

I’m looking at 3-technique or a CB in the first round, and possibly QB if one slides. The LG position needs a big boost, but I’m looking at the 2nd/3rd round for that. 

But, given how CBS has that mock draft falling, its a very solid pick. 

I don't disagree that OT isn't the biggest need. Reiff has been serviceable and was a massive improvement when he was brought in, however, he is completely average to me. He's kind of like the offensive equivalent of the Bosa brothers, where he will give up borderline no pressures against sub par rushers, but against technically proficient rushers, like Khalil Mack, or the Bosa brothers, he will routinely get whipped. Adding a blue chip prospect couldn't hurt, but getting Elflein on the bench would be a bigger help.

Ideally a player like Fulton is still available. I know people were talking about Stefon Diggs' brother, Trevon, but to me he is a developmental prospect at best. Jamar Chase and Jordan Jefferson abused him in 1 on 1 coverage.

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still would like to see them take a QB in the first 3 rounds, but we'll have to see how that works out.  

I know you brought this up in the other thread, but here is a thought for y’all.

How actually smart is this? 
What are our possibilities? 
How does this effect our future with Cousins contract ending after this year, would this be a wasted pick if a new HC is brought in next year? 
Or would we be forced to find a HC that wants to play with the QB we draft?

My Thoughts:

Smart? I really don’t think so, unless someone falls hard. I’m not the biggest fan of Eason, Fromm, or Ehlinger. So if a player like Tua was to fail some medicals, I would maybe take a chance on that, but I really don’t think that’s the way Spielman and Zimmer will attack this draft while sitting on a deflating bubble this year.

Love, Fromm, Ehlinger, Eason, and Hurts are the main options. There are some others, but I believe they are all long shots from being anything significant in the NFL. 

My worry with taking any of the guys above is your probably looking at Round 2/3. Hurts is the only one I think could flux from being dang near a late first shot by someone with how these mobile QB’s have been playing, all the way to a Day 3 pick. You take one of these guys, is our next HC possibly stuck with one of these guys? Would our team be stuck playing one of these guys even if Zimmer would stay past this year? It’s putting a lot of faith in a QB, and may limit your future coaching search’s.

I only brought it up because I don't think that they will be moving on from the HC anytime soon, nor do I think they should.  I do think, however, should they pick a young OC, that they need to develop a young QB with that OC.  They really haven't been able to do that yet with a higher draft pick (or with anything other than undrafted QBs).  I don't think they should take Cousins' potential feelings into the equation, just like the Chiefs' didn't take Alex Smith's feelings into account when they traded up to get Mahomes.  I almost feel similar to Charch (on KFAN) that you should always be planning for the next QB. 

While Kirk is a "franchise QB" as far as I'm concerned, I don't think he's necessarily the long-term answer, so I think they need to take a guy in the first 2-3 rounds with a high ceiling to potentially unseat him in 2021.  At worst, they'd still have Cousins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I only brought it up because I don't think that they will be moving on from the HC anytime soon, nor do I think they should.  I do think, however, should they pick a young OC, that they need to develop a young QB with that OC.  They really haven't been able to do that yet with a higher draft pick (or with anything other than undrafted QBs).  I don't think they should take Cousins' potential feelings into the equation, just like the Chiefs' didn't take Alex Smith's feelings into account when they traded up to get Mahomes.  I almost feel similar to Charch (on KFAN) that you should always be planning for the next QB. 

While Kirk is a "franchise QB" as far as I'm concerned, I don't think he's necessarily the long-term answer, so I think they need to take a guy in the first 2-3 rounds with a high ceiling to potentially unseat him in 2021.  At worst, they'd still have Cousins.

Cousins isn’t a franchise QB. There wouldn’t be a debate to his contract status if he was, nor would we be talking about finding a long term answer. A franchise QB is always the long term answer, otherwise, that term is just overused. Cousins is a high end placeholder.

• Like 3

That's fine, I essentially think we agree, even if our definitions of what a "franchise" QB means.  I think we'd be fine with him over the next 3-4 years (because that's all we'd likely get out of him at his current age)...to me, that constitutes a franchise QB.  It doesn't to you both, but that's okay.    

Edited by swede700

If Griffen leaves and is out as a Viking, James Lynch comes into play big time to me late 1st round for the Vikes.  Kid is 6-4 295 and can get after the QB, could play DE or a 4/3 DT potentially and be a fine pass rusher inside.  Great toughness and huge upside, solid prospect and he and Weaver come into play big time if Griffen is gone.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

If Griffen leaves and is out as a Viking, James Lynch comes into play big time to me late 1st round for the Vikes.  Kid is 6-4 295 and can get after the QB, could play DE or a 4/3 DT potentially and be a fine pass rusher inside.  Great toughness and huge upside, solid prospect and he and Weaver come into play big time if Griffen is gone.  

I don’t think Griffen’s return should matter, he’s an older player and depth along the DL is always a good thing.

I think we need to trade some pieces that we have and get as many picks in 2020 and 2021 as possible.  I know this is the blow it up and rebuild strategy, but I think otherwise we will always have holes to fill that will keep the Vikings from being competitive in the playoffs.  This means giving up players that mean a lot to the franchise...such as Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, Adam Thielen.  I think the only two players that shouldn't be on the trading block are Hunter and Diggs.