2020 Draft Talk

swede700

Vikings receive picks #37/#71 for #25 from the Los Angeles Chargers - Chargers trade up for a shot at a QBOTF

Draft done using TDN predictive board - added the comp picks myself

2 - Mekhi Becton - T - Louisville (via LAC)
2 - Ross Blacklock - IDL - TCU
3 - Cesar Ruiz - IOL - Michigan (via LAC)
3 - Antoine Winfield Jr - DB - Minnesota
3 - Michael Pittman Jr - WR - USC (COMP)
4 - Jordyn Brooks - LB - Texas Tech
6 - Denzel Mims - WR - Baylor
7 - Tyler Huntley - QB - Utah
7 - James Smith-Williams - EDGE - NC State
7 - Tino Ellis - CB - Maryland(COMP)
7 - Kevin McGill - CB - Eastern Michigan (COMP)

------

Becton: is a mammoth left tackle that moves ridiculously well for his size - drawing comparisons to Trent Brown
Blacklock: is a twitchy interior disruptor
Ruiz: has played center and right guard at Michigan, larger frame for an interior player and moves very well - great fit for a zone scheme team looking for help on the inside
Winfield Jr: Is he too much of a tweener for the NFL? Idk, but the kid makes plays.  Could be a safety, could be a nickel
Pittman Jr:  Big bodied receiver that enjoys punishing cornerbacks with his physicality both in the run and pass game
Brooks:  Tackling machine, super active, very good athlete, and has a non-stop motor.  Will be a core special teams player as he continues to develop
Mims:  HWS receiver prospect, suffers from some concentration drops and needs technical refinement in his routes
Huntley: Honestly was just looking for a QB who could move /shrug
Smith-Williams:  Needs to develop as a pass rusher in terms of his technique and planning, but he's a physically strong and quick defender
Ellis: Former WR, good physical skills and loves being physical for a former offensive player
McGill - Big corner with good hips and is good coming down hill, small school player that needs help with technicalities of the position.

Trusting that players like Hughes, Hill, Boyd, will be ready to go to focus on building up front on offense and defense.  Both offensive lineman are bigger (huger in Becton's case) bodies that still move exceedingly well.... should allow us to continue with our outside zone scheme while having an increased ability to anchor vs power. 

I love draft season :D

• Like 3

My biggest concern with drafting a QB, whether it’s in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, is that we don’t have a QB friendly coaching staff, IMO. 

At this moment, I don’t see anyone on the staff who I’d trust to help develop, guide, or build an offense for a young QB. I’m afraid it would be a Christian Ponder situation all over again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

My biggest concern with drafting a QB, whether it’s in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, is that we don’t have a QB friendly coaching staff, IMO. 

At this moment, I don’t see anyone on the staff who I’d trust to help develop, guide, or build an offense for a young QB. I’m afraid it would be a Christian Ponder situation all over again. 

Incorrect ... Ponder was a reach pick (strike 1) at way too high a draft spot (strike 2) ... and was thrust into the starting lineup well too early (strike 3)... so that's 3 strikes.

Pick someone late 1st-3rd ... and they got less/no pressure to start this year and likely not a reach.